• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

390, 970, or wait

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Alrighty then. I'm in the market for a new graphics card to replace my 670. It has served me well, but now that I'm running a pair of OC'd QX2710s and frankly the 670 is wimping out, even though I generally only game on one.

Now, I remember looking around a month or two ago and seeing straight side by side comparisons saying the 970 pulled ahead of the 390 at 1440p even though it has half the ram. I decided to double check and all I can find are random forum posts going back and forth.

So I figured I'll just come out and ask if I should go red, green, or wait (only condition being the card has to have 2 dual link DVI ports). I remember seeing at least one post about AMD having something on deck.
 

Evil-Mobo

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2015
Location
MD
In this situation I would go for the 390, because of the VRAM buffer. I was planning on doing exactly that but found a good deal here on an R9 280X that was too good to pass.

I guess, and this is my humble newb opinion, it also depends on the form factor of the build etc. The 970 will use less power and generate less heat than the 390 will. Not sure if you will be water cooling or not, but EK is set to release new blocks soon for the MSI 390/390X cards.......

I don't think you could go wrong either way on this one and all factors being equal would just lookout for a deal on whichever I wanted. I can't recommend enough to keep an eye on the "B" stock from EVGA, they update the B stock VERY frequently and I have scored some great deals from them including recently a 4GB 960 for my nephew and a 650 watt gold PSU for $40 lol......

Good Luck and keep us posted
 

jaymz9350

Member
Joined
May 13, 2006
The vram shouldn't be much of an issue with a single 970, in my experience with one at 1440p you'll have to turn down settings anyway before running out of memory (this is just from my personal experience)
 

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Location
Buckeyes!
You will be waiting for 5 months or so for new cards.

I would go 980 if possible. The 970 will run out of vram sooner than later. For example, at 1440p, I use 3.6GB of vram in Battlefront. That is an exception to most games, but, they are out there...
 

||Console||

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2004
I have a 4 gig 670 my self and have the ITCH but I think I am going to wait as the 670 still plays all of my games with 60+ fps on 1080p , the speed bump to the 970/390 on the games I play @ 1080 just isnt worth it . at 1440 I might be more willing to spend the $ , the 390 with all that ram looks enticing for the higher rez .
 

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
I gamed, and still game on the 970's at 2560x1440, GTA-5 I had to turn down 2 or three settings, vram was plenty and I have never run into the 3.5gig vram issue that was all the rage for a while.
added a second 970 and gamed at all max settings with no issues at all.
I now have 2 980TI's in the game rig and it's massive over kill.
I have a 980, non TI in the stable now and will throw it in on it's own and give it a spin soon but I am sure it will be more than enough.
 

wingman99

Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2003
I would purchase a GTX 970 now, then when the new Graphic cards come out upgrade and recoup some loss by selling the GTX 970.
 
OP
freakdiablo
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
You will be waiting for 5 months or so for new cards.

I would go 980 if possible. The 970 will run out of vram sooner than later. For example, at 1440p, I use 3.6GB of vram in Battlefront. That is an exception to most games, but, they are out there...

Ah, yeah thought I read somewhere new cards were coming out in the next month or two. But for 980s, looks like only the 4GB ones are out now, won't those run into the same vram issues?

I have a 4 gig 670 my self and have the ITCH but I think I am going to wait as the 670 still plays all of my games with 60+ fps on 1080p , the speed bump to the 970/390 on the games I play @ 1080 just isnt worth it . at 1440 I might be more willing to spend the $ , the 390 with all that ram looks enticing for the higher rez .

Yeah, at 1080p, even the 2GB 670 I'm currently using was good. They're solid cards, but st 1440 the 2GB of vram is really holding it back.

I would purchase a GTX 970 now, then when the new Graphic cards come out upgrade and recoup some loss by selling the GTX 970.

I guess that's always an option...

I'll think about it. I might be able to bump up to a 980 if I really have to.
 

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Location
Buckeyes!
The 970 has 3.5ghz of fast vram... the other 512 mb is slow and can cause problems. The 980 is true 4gb.

It's not a big difference, but it counts.
 
OP
freakdiablo
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
The 970 has 3.5ghz of fast vram... the other 512 mb is slow and can cause problems. The 980 is true 4gb.

It's not a big difference, but it counts.

Ah, gotcha. Either way, got to put the new card on hold for now. Found out when swapping out the parts why my desktop has been acting up the past few weeks - failing PSU. Got a spare CS450M I can toss in there now but will probably grab a permanent supply before a new GPU. But Looks like a 980 it is then.
 
OP
freakdiablo
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Sorry for the double post with no real reason to, but got the 980 last week, and finally got around to installing it this afternoon. Just ran a couple 3DMark passes and all I have to say is Hello Nurse!
 

Fred Koser

Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Location
St Petersburg, FL
I'm in the same boat. Had been happy using my R7770 @ 1080p, planned to wait it out one more generation before upgrading, but then had a 30" LP3065 that needs to run @ 2560 x 1600 fall in my lap & so I've gotta upgrade now to keep Assetto Corsa going happily.

I can snag a Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390 w/ 8Gb VRAM @ NewEgg for just over $300, which SEEMS like a killer deal, though I worry a bit about heat/power - should I?

The other option is the G1 Gaming GTX 970 w/ 4Gb VRAM, though it seems like running @ 1600p might present limitations in the near future. . . thoughts!?
 

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Joined
Oct 11, 2002
Location
The Empire State
I was on a 290 for quite a while gaming @ 1920/1080 on a 40" display. Tho the 290 was quite capable of gaming @ 1080, I decided to make the jump to a 390 as I'll be getting a new 4k monitor and the xtra Vram will do me right.

I haven't regretted my purchase.

There's no definitive date on when the new cards will be released and when the older gen card's prices will fall. If you want/need a new card now, then go ahead and get it, but if your current card can handle what you're gaming at, and you can wait a bit, then by all means wait. It'll benefit you later.

If you keep searching and you see a bargain, then jump on it.
 

Vellinious

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2013
Location
Central US
The only way I would consider buying a new GPU right now, is if mine blew up. And even then, I'd consider getting a 750ti or something off of EVGA's B stock page to hold me over until the new tech releases.
 

wingman99

Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2003
EVGA has a 90 day step up program so you would be safe to purchase Graphics card now and step up later.
 

Fred Koser

Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Location
St Petersburg, FL
Possible local deal for a Gigabyte G1 R9 380X - obviously not as future-proof, but would get me up to speed for the immediate future & buy me time for the new stuff to come out & stabilize. . . thoughts?
 
Last edited: