• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D Mark 2001 SE Question......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goodie

I just bench marked my brand new MSI Geforce4 TI4200 with 128 megs ram on 3D Mark 2001 SE ans I am very dissapointed in the score. I ran the test at 1024x768 32 bit colour. Here are some of the specs from the test I ran:

My System

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
DirectX Version 8.1

Mobo Manufacturer ...... Chaintec
Mobo Model.................... 694T-686A
AGP Rates (Current/Available)........ 2x / 1x 2x

CPU Intel Celeron .........902 MHz
FSB 100 MHz
Memory 256 MB

Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
Driver Version 6.13.10.4041
Video Memory 128 MB

Program Version 3DMark2001 SE
Resolution 1024x768 32bit
Texture Format Compressed
FSAA Disabled
Z-Buffer Depth 24bit
Frame Buffer Double
Rendering Pipeline D3D Pure Hardware T&L

My Test Results

3DMark Score 5381 3D marks

Game 1 Car Chase - Low Detail 62.0 FPS
Game 1 Car Chase - High Detail 16.8 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - Low Detail 116.4 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - High Detail 57.6 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - Low Detail 67.6 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - High Detail 28.3 FPS
Game 4 Nature 43.4 FPS

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 805.3 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 1874.1 MTexels/s

High Polygon Count (1 light) 38.7 MTriangels/s
High Polygon Count (8 lights) 9.1 MTriangels/s

Environment Bump Mapping 104.9 FPS
DOT3 Bump Mapping 112.1 FPS

Vertex Shader 62.9 FPS
Pixel Shader 88.8 FPS
Advanced Pixel Shader 70.8 FPS

Point Sprite 23.0 MSprites/s

Now I don't know much about this stuff, but I do know that I should get a higher score then 5381. My old geforce2 mx 400 got higher then 3000 points :(

All I have done is install the card and Vid Drivers. I havent touched any settings on the card and it has never been overclocked, it's fresh from the box as of yesterday. Any help to get this card working the way it should would be appreciated.

the card is running at AGP2X (should be at 4X for best performance) and the celeron is bottlenecking it.

still, you should get a little higher then that i think.

Dude, dont feel bad, I was getting only like 10k with a ti4600, and now it dropped like 1.5k. I think I over-overclocked it or something (artefacts? or something like that). Come to think of it, I really need to get my scores back up.

First off, 2X AGP is hurting you. Your bandwidth is crippling the card, but with that mobo, there's nothing you can do about it. Second, the Celly is a BIG bottleneck. Don't expect much from a sub-Gig Celly, with no o/c. Third, "All I have done is install the card and Vid Drivers. I havent touched any settings on the card and it has never been overclocked, it's fresh from the box as of yesterday." This means that the driver settings are out of the box, which makes your AA program-controlled (not good), and your Vertical Sync is on (even worse). Both of these should be disabled for 3DMark. Fourth and final, the 64M version of a card usually has faster memory than it's 128M counterpart, so you may have bought the slower card off the jump. You should at least hit 9000-10000 with that setup...you just need to tweak a little, and o/c a lot :) Good Luck!

Ok cool ,thanks for the info. How do i turn off V Sync then? Can I do it with Rivia Tuner? Also, I'm useing Det Drivers 4041, are these drivers good or should I try other ones? I have overclocked this cpu in the past, but it always hung on a black screen when rebooting so I gave up trying to figure it out, so any suggestions about that would be appreciated. I did get my cpu up to 1 ghz before.

I tried to run 3d mark with 4xs(d3donly) and I got a lower score then set on 2x. :( I noticed that there are 5 options for this agp setting. I found these settings by right clicking the desktop and selecting properties, then clicking the settings tab and finally clicking the advanced button. On the next screen I clicked the tab that had the vid cards name on it and got a pile of settings.

1. No antialiasing
2. 2x
3 . Quincunx antialiasing
4. 4x
5. 4xs(d3d only)

I looked in my manual,but it looks like the manual is kinda generic and is made for many different cards and dosent say much. Do any of you guys know what one of these is best to use? I have never seen # 3, 4 before so I have no idea about them.

Goodie said:
Ok cool ,thanks for the info. How do i turn off V Sync then? Can I do it with Rivia Tuner? Also, I'm useing Det Drivers 4041, are these drivers good or should I try other ones? I have overclocked this cpu in the past, but it always hung on a black screen when rebooting so I gave up trying to figure it out, so any suggestions about that would be appreciated. I did get my cpu up to 1 ghz before.

I tried to run 3d mark with 4xs(d3donly) and I got a lower score then set on 2x. :( I noticed that there are 5 options for this agp setting. I found these settings by right clicking the desktop and selecting properties, then clicking the settings tab and finally clicking the advanced button. On the next screen I clicked the tab that had the vid cards name on it and got a pile of settings.

1. No antialiasing
2. 2x
3 . Quincunx antialiasing
4. 4x
5. 4xs(d3d only)

I looked in my manual,but it looks like the manual is kinda generic and is made for many different cards and dosent say much. Do any of you guys know what one of these is best to use? I have never seen # 3, 4 before so I have no idea about them.

No, you want "No Antialiasing"

Right Click on Desktop Properties > Settings > Advanced > GeForce 4 Ti4200 tab

Then you will see a white windows open up on the right part of the main settings window. There you will see a whole bunch of options. Click on the Direct 3D thing and set the "Mipmap deatil level" to Best Performance.

Turn "Texture Aniosotropic Setting" to 0x.

Click "More Driect 3D..." and make sure "Vertical Sync" is turned to Always Off

Oh yah, in the same "Direct 3d" settings window, make sure the 2 boxes at the top are NOT checked.

That should help, now run the test again. :)

Click "More Driect 3D..." and make sure "Vertical Sync" is turned to Always Off

I went there but I dont have that setting. When I click the More Direct 3D button I only have an option for Texel Alignment. :(

True, it all comes down to the celerey you are using....Do a serach on madonion of people using cerlons between 850 and 950 Mhz and using a Ti4200....I think your system is right on target. You may be able to tweak it up some, but not much more.

I just found these 2 lines in a write up on video cards and I gotta say that i'm some what upset with Nvidia. My card is supposed to be bigger, better, faster, but clearly the 64 meg card will kick my butt. :( I don't understand why Nvidia would do this. :( I paid $400 cdn to have this card because I looked to be faster, why is the cheaper one better?

NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (128MB)
$200
63M 0.15-micron
250MHz
DX8
128MB
222MHz <---Mine is slower, Grrrrr
4x32-bit DDR
7.1GB/s <-----Mine is slower???? why?

NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (64MB)
$180
63M 0.15-micron
250MHz
DX8
64MB
250MHz <---here as well??? why?
4x32-bit DDR
8.0GB/ <----Here is the pasr that ticks me off

That has been a know fact for a while now, but plenty of people have shown benchmarks where having the extra memory for big textures makes the 128mb model faster, even though it runs at a lower speed.

Ok, thanks Slipknot. I don't know much about this stuff and just figured I was buying a better card, lol.

I would ahve went with the 128mb model too. It is pretty easy to overclock your 128MB model back up to the 64mb models speeds and ahve twice the memory. I think in the long run, you will be better off. Many people say future games (doom3 comes to mind), will require alot more onboard memory for textures then ever before.

W00T!!!! , well as some of you guys know, I have been trying to get the most out of my new MSIGeForce4 TI 4200. Well I think I finally got the most I'm gonna get with this current system. I overclocked my cpu to 1 ghz again and I also overclocked the GeForce card to 315 core\559 memory. It seems to run stable and there are no artifacts to be seen. I havent seen any artifacts at all during this overclock and that makes me wonder just how high this card might go. :p

Anyway, here is my 3Dmark score with these settings. And I don't think 5965 is too shabby with this rig. :p
Thank-You to everyone who helped me with this, you know who you are. :D

Hahaha, I hope this link works for you guys, :p It shows that I beat a person who has a TI4600 and the same cpu as me. :p
http://service.madonion.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/componentcompare&projectType=6&cCriteria=1

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
DirectX Version 8.1

Mobo Manufacturer chaintech
Mobo Model 694T-686A
AGP Rates (Current/Available) 4x / 1x 2x 4x

CPU Intel Celeron 1008 MHz
FSB 112 MHz
Memory 256 MB

Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
Driver Version 6.13.10.3082
Video Memory 128 MB

Program Version 3DMark2001 SE
Resolution 1024x768 32bit
Texture Format Compressed
FSAA Disabled
Z-Buffer Depth 24bit
Frame Buffer Double
Rendering Pipeline D3D Pure Hardware T&L

3DMark Score 5965 3D marks

Game 1 Car Chase - Low Detail 66.0 FPS
Game 1 Car Chase - High Detail 19.8 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - Low Detail 130.0 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - High Detail 67.6 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - Low Detail 76.6 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - High Detail 32.4 FPS
Game 4 Nature 42.2 FPS

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 1018.6 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 2305.2 MTexels/s

High Polygon Count (1 light) 29.5 MTriangels/s
High Polygon Count (8 lights) 10.7 MTriangels/s

Environment Bump Mapping 127.7 FPS
DOT3 Bump Mapping 136.5 FPS

Vertex Shader 69.5 FPS
Pixel Shader 100.0 FPS
Advanced Pixel Shader 85.3 FPS

Point Sprite 28.9 MSprites/s

So what you guys are saying is that if I go out and buy a new mainboard and a genuine cpu, not a celery stick, I should go faster with this card? If that's the case and all I need are those 2 items I'll buy them after christmas. I guess I'll have to come back here again when I go buy this stuff because I don't know what mainboards are any good. All I know is that Asus and abit are the two I would lok at.

Well, bro, I think you may be opening a can of worms for the sake of a benchmark score. Does the card do what you ask it to do now? Does it play all of your favorite games without a problem? Are the framerates acceptable? If the answer is yes, your money may be better off left in your pocket...

If you build for a 3DMark score only, there are a lot of things that come into play. First, you mobo needs to be changed to one that will allow you to utilize at least 4X bandwidth on the AGP...plus a sweet o/c to boot. Then you would have to decide between the XP and the P4. Then your memory would be chosen accordingly, DDR or RAMBUS (the SDRAM you have now won't cut it...it will bottleneck whatever you buy). Then you will need to look into a fast HDD, and look forward to a LOT of re-installs and benches, tweaks, more re-installs and benches...

Point is, if it's doing what you want it to do, be happy with it, and don't put so much emphasis on that score...

JMHO :)

Back