• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D Mark results for Skylake 980GTX Ti SLI - Questions & Help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GenieGOR

So I have ran fire strike countless times and can't seem to get anything better than 23,515. However there is another guy with my exact same set up except my processor is clock tire and so is my video card yet he has 25,500. I don't understand why I can't get anywhere near that score.

I just ran fire strike extreme and I get 15,000+.

I also have my video card overclocked with MSI afterburner. The core clock is set to +125, the memory is set to +525. Normally when playing games I leave the memory down at +400 just so I don't work the video cards to death.

And I usually can get away with leaving the mV2 +10 or +15.

I leave the overpower To 107%.

If I push my core overclock even +126 it will crash. With the on-screen display with afterburner it shows the cards are running at 1458 MHz, the memory is running at 4050 MHz.

My processor is set to 47x multiplier, and a base clock of 103 MHz. Giving me an effective clock of 4.85Ghz.

It's pretty cool in the room, I have The Seaview want to water cooler, and I have four fans blowing on the GPUs.

I just want to make sure I don't have something that isn't right.

As for the help guys.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Could be OS/Driver or your card is throttling. Have you tried backing off your OC a bit. If it's too high you might be missing top turbo bin. Also set TDP to max always when overclocking.

You could post a comparison as well. Could be losing in Physics/ combined score.

OP
G

GenieGOR

Could be OS/Driver or your card is throttling. Have you tried backing off your OC a bit. If it's too high you might be missing top turbo bin. Also set TDP to max always when overclocking.

You could post a comparison as well. Could be losing in Physics/ combined score.

I have the newest GeForce driver. Also TDP is the power limit % right?

I haven't tried backing off. What Should they be reading? I see 1450mhz steady throughout.

Johan45

What is 1450 max or speed before boost. Best way to monitor GPU is with GPUz sensor tab. That 980 should boost to ~1550 or more

See this pic and look at the GPUz tabs, don't mind the clocks I bench all the time and this is modded to do so.

image_id_1331367.jpeg

Any way drivers can play a big role in performance and I see you're running SLI so it's even more critical what driver you use. Some just work better than others

OP
G

GenieGOR

What is 1450 max or speed before boost. Best way to monitor GPU is with GPUz sensor tab. That 980 should boost to ~1550 or more

See this pic and look at the GPUz tabs, don't mind the clocks I bench all the time and this is modded to do so.

View attachment 175165

Any way drivers can play a big role in performance and I see you're running SLI so it's even more critical what driver you use. Some just work better than others

I didn't think 1550 would be possible on a Ti. I can't even get close. I just ran 8600 on firestrike ultra. Do you think I am getting good numbers?

Johan45

I didn't notice the Ti after thr GTX thought it was only a 980. Sorry. 1500 is pretty average and when running SLI that usually goes down. Your boost speed is the one you need to see. WHat I said before still stands though you might be going to far and getting throttling. You need to watch closely whle it's loaded to see drops in speed. As for the score in ultra don't know how good it id I know with mine in fire strike i was hitting about 18000 on stock cooling

OP
G

GenieGOR

I didn't notice the Ti after thr GTX thought it was only a 980. Sorry. 1500 is pretty average and when running SLI that usually goes down. Your boost speed is the one you need to see. WHat I said before still stands though you might be going to far and getting throttling. You need to watch closely whle it's loaded to see drops in speed. As for the score in ultra don't know how good it id I know with mine in fire strike i was hitting about 18000 on stock cooling
Which option in MSI afterburner is for the GPU boost clock? When I am watching 3-D mark running I can see GPU 1 & 2. They sit pretty steady 1458 MHz. If my video driver crashes I overclock and then the next time I run the test they won't go above 900 MHz I have to restart my computer.

Last edited:

Johan45

The restart is quite common, especially in Win10 I have found. Need to reset the driver I think.
There is no option for the boost clock. Some will allow you to lock the boost clock in as a max clock. . Think of it as a turbo. If the conditions are right meaning enough available voltage and the power target/ thermal threshold hasn't been hit then the boost will kick in automatically. If you are going over the power target boost will kick off or if there isn't enough voltage available for the next bin. If you want to test you clocks use something like uningine heaven in a window smaller than you screen resolution. You can watch the GPUz sensor tab and follow your gpu clocks. It's normal to have slight variation but if it's dropping 50 MHz then it's likely throttling. You may need to give it more voltage or cooling and make sure you have the power slider at maximum.

OP
G

GenieGOR

So at+125 on msi afterburner its showing as 1443/1455mhz under afterburners OSD. Now if I jump it to +126 it will show 1468mhz and then stop responding.

However, the GPU-Z shows like 1344mhz, or a bit less. Msi app itself shows 1486mhz during a test. Not sure what to believe. Here is a screenshot.

Attachments

• Which_GPU_Score.JPG
    Which_GPU_Score.JPG
    437.6 KB · Views: 65

Johan45

MSI AB reports 1486 which is the boost clock. GPUz is not good a predicting what the boost clock will be. Like I said if you use the sensors tab to monitor it then you will know for sure. One other thing is for now I would drop the memory down so it reads 4000 even in AB till you get the core speed figured out. This might also help with the low power limit on the card.

OP
G

GenieGOR

MSI AB reports 1486 which is the boost clock. GPUz is not good a predicting what the boost clock will be. Like I said if you use the sensors tab to monitor it then you will know for sure. One other thing is for now I would drop the memory down so it reads 4000 even in AB till you get the core speed figured out. This might also help with the low power limit on the card.

I had it dropped to 0 and core won't go past 1455mhz. +125. During firestrike afterburner reports 1468mhz and then drops to 1455mhx, then drops to 1443mhz it stays there for the rest of the test. If I go higher than +125 it crashes. If I go to +124 or +120 then it stays at 1443-1455mhz. Can't get it to go past.

I only got 1486mhz in that one test. Games and 3D Mark will not.

Johan45

I had it dropped to 0 and core won't go past 1455mhz. +125. During firestrike afterburner reports 1468mhz and then drops to 1455mhx, then drops to 1443mhz it stays there for the rest of the test. If I go higher than +125 it crashes. If I go to +124 or +120 then it stays at 1443-1455mhz. Can't get it to go past.

I only got 1486mhz in that one test. Games and 3D Mark will not.

That right there is what I meant by throttling. If your card is dropping speeds like that your OC is too high. Two things you can do is drop the speed or try adding voltage. If you're already at the top of your TDP voltage won't help and a slower clock will be necessary. What I would do is leave the memory at stock and OC the core. Start where you are right now but drop the mem OC and drop the core OC to +110 and test. Overclocking takes a bit of time and patience to get things just right.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Also - if you have multiple monitors plugged in, it will give lower scores.

For example...I run 3x1080 monitors, with a 1280x1024 4th monitor as a "dashboard" monitor. If I plug in this monitor and run a benchmark on 5760x1080 I get a lower score than if I unplug this monitor.

If I put another card in the system (I did this with a GTX 960) and plug the dashboard monitor into that, my scores go back to what I had with the monitor unplugged.

If you setup is similar, and if you are using a CPU with an embedded GPU (I think you are), try plugging the "dashboard" monitor into the iGPU connector.

I hope that makes sense.

Kenrou

One thing usually no one mentions, your settings in nVidia Control Panel count for a little or a lot depending on what you're doing, try messing with them.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg