Hello boys and girls.
Time for another project to spend all of my spare time on
Since my last build, I've acquired myself a 3D printer. Since then I've been doing my best to perfect my own, and the printers’ ability to make the most flawless prints possible.
I’ve been printing, more or less, 24/7 for the past 4 months, and feel that I am now ready to jump into a new, and probably the most demanding project yet.
The idea is to create a full size Iron man suit with a built in, liquid cooled, gaming rig. Now as every part is 100% 3D printed, I expect it will take about 3 months, just to complete printing the entire suit, then comes the rest of the processing, the fillings, the sanding, the painting etc. so I hope you guys will be patient with this one
I’ve been experimenting with ABS and PLA and have come to feel that I have perfected both materials in terms of the possible quality of the print contra the speed/time it takes to create a good print.
For this project, I will be using PLA. The main reason for this is not that it is easier to work with or process when the print is done, on the contrary, ABS would have been a lot easier to work with, as it is easier to sand, easier to remove and repair failures (acetone and lighter tricks ), but it is purely because of the fumes that are exhausted when printing with ABS, and since my printer is inside the house, printing nonstop, I don’t want to expose my children to these toxic fumes, and that’s why I’ve chosen the corn based alternative PLA.
Before I continue, I have to give a great shout out and thanks to DaDave, for having inspired me to make this build as well as even making this project possible. He has, from existing pepakura files, converted everything to 3D and actually built a fully wearable Iron Man suit. Make sure to check it out, it’s pretty awesome
Now on with the project:
MATERIALS FOR THE SUIT:
- 3D printed PLA parts
- Servomotors and arduino board(s)
- LED lighting and wiring
- Home made or modded mannequin to wear/stabilize the suit
- Polyester filler
- Glue... A LOT of glue...
- Paint (color scheme not 100% decided yet, I'm thinking matt black )
- Nuts and bolts and probably a lot more as the project evolves.
- ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING mini ITX or the MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON AC mini ITX
- GFX preferably a 1070/1080 GTX or 1080 GTX Ti
The rest is still under speculation Sponsors more than welcome lol
Now on with the fun part.
I started with the last roll of PLA filement I had left, which happened to be red/orange, but it doesn't really mean anything, since I will fill, prime and paint it into the color scheme I want. I'm just happy it wasn't pink
The very first part of the suit, the left palm in the process of being printed:
As you can see below I failed terribly with the supports. The bottom of the fingeres went spaghetti on me and even ripped off when the supports were removed. I've already made new fingers, that are without flaws, but the pics are early stage, so I'm wearing the bad ones:
Helm being printed, sadly I didn't take pictures of all the parts being printed, but I don't think that matters once you see the result :
The top of the helmet/head:
Bottom of the face:
And finally the helmet completed:
Front from the side, closed:
Front from the side, opened:
Here I have the left upper arm being printed, again didn't take too many photos of the process, but I think you get the point by know :
The re-seller I'm purchasing my filament from, has upgraded/modified the filament I've been using so far, making it more red, I guess doe to complaints from customers, saying it wasn't red enough, I can only agreed Doesn't really matter though, as everything is going to be painted, it has no impact on the final result.
A part of the shoulder finished:
Left shoulder completed, here you can CLEARLY see the color difference between the original I was using, and the "upgraded" version of filament:
Here I've finished the chest. 2 Kilos of PLA filament went into completing it
The arc reactor, temporarily assembled just for the show of it I will be adding LED's to it later:
Mounted inside the chest:
Here I'm about half done with the suit, it's being supported by some construction wood I had lying around, nothing is mounted together yet:
I am currently working on painting the helmet.
Here I've programmed my Arduino and mounted the servo for the helmet :
Stay tuned for more pics, I hope to have more for you in the upcoming week
Thanks for looking