• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG [3D Printed] The Iron suit project -

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update 10-05-2017

Hey guys

So I've now finished both hands/gloves and was going trough different ideas on how to fill them up and make them bendable, and at the same time have the option to make the fingers "fix" in different positions.

Then the obvious occurred to me :rock: cut off my hands at the wrists, and stuff them inside :eek: on a serious note lol, I thought I might as well print an articulated hand and stuff it inside. Credits for the design goes to bqLabs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

After some refitting and very careful, but evil force, I managed to fix this beauty inside my right glove:

attachment.php

Here you can see the difference it makes; The left glove is with the hand inside, the right one without:

attachment.php

That't it for now, thanks for looking :) "Iron suit" says "Peace out!":

attachment.php

Man, do I wish I had that kind of talent. Great job so far.

Thanks for the kind words mate :)

Geek!

Great job! :)

LOL whatever do you mean :D

THIS IS EPIC!!!

Can't wait to see the rest of it!

Glad you like it ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi guys

Time for an update :D

Now I've been a bit busy with some other stuff around the house, so I haven't had so much time to work on the suit. I've made a small workshop in extension to the garage, so I no longer have to work inside the house, disturbed by the wife and kids lol.
attachment.php

I've also added a little mod the the printer in hops of better cooling, the fan isn't strong enough though, so I've ordered a new and better fan :) I'm waiting for it to arrive.

attachment.php

Now while I've been building my workshop, I've acquired a new friend. He doesn't really talk too much and you could definitely call him the silent type :eek: He's been to war and isn't in the best of shapes, but he one hell of a helper :D

Now with no further ado, I give to you, Harold! :shock: :clap: :rock:

attachment.php

Here you can see him modelling for y'all:

attachment.php

Unfortunately the brain damage he suffered while battling the other models for pole position has left his head permanently enlarged... Maybe some trimming of the ears will fix the issue, but more on that later :D

attachment.php

Now on to some progress, the left side of the back, sanded and primed:

attachment.php

The lower back of the neck:

attachment.php

Abs sanded down:

attachment.php

And primed :)

attachment.php

That's it for now, more will hopefully come as the week progresses :D I just hope Harold won't lose his temper, cause he might just lose his head :shock:

Thanks for looking guys :beer:

Update 20-06-17

Hey guys

Time for some more pictures of the current progress :)

Lower back, part of the ribs, as well as the left part of the upper back, sanded, filled and painted:

attachment.php

Abs painted and assembled:

attachment.php

Starting to take shape :D

attachment.php

Assembling and adding of red LED's to the ARC:

attachment.php

attachment.php

ARC mounted to the chest:

attachment.php

Window for the ARC cut and sanded:

attachment.php

I've added 45% tinted foil to both sides of the window. I've done this because I don't want the ARC to be the focus point of the suit, it's only there as a minor detail :D

attachment.php

Much better, now it's a neutral element:

attachment.php

Camera had a tough time capturing the ARC in the dark, but you get the picture:

attachment.php

With the light turned on. ATM I don't know if the red LED's are strong enough to be visible trough the inteded white LED I will add to the back of the ARC. The reds are there to work as HDD lighting, flashing then the computer is working, must test this as soon as possible :)

attachment.php

Window glued and tightened with black silicone:

attachment.php

Harold, enjoying himself in the sun, while he takes his time to dry up :cool:

attachment.php

Thanks for looking guys, stay tuned for more to come :thup:

Update 28-06-2017

Hello guys :)

I've got a new update for you on the progress:

After the last update, adding the acrylic glass to the chest, I wanted to remove the masking tape, and continue my work with the arc. Unfortunately because of the chest being held together by ordinary glue from my glue-gun, it cracked :eek: .....again! Now epic rage came over me, shutting my brain off, so I smashed the chest to pieces :mad::mad::mad::mad: then ripped the rest of it apart.

A couple of days went by and I had finally calmed down lol, so I decided to get back on the horse and fix my weak moment of stupidity.

This time I've soldered every part together with a soldering iron, as well as soldered extra PLA to strengthen the connections even more, making sure it wont crack again, even with excessive force being applied to it.

Everything put back together and new filler applied to repair what I broke or damaged:

attachment.php

Now for a bit of deja vu :rolleyes:

Sanded down:

attachment.php

Filler reapplied:

attachment.php

Masking tape added preparing for the signal red:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Preparing for the black paint:

attachment.php

attachment.php

All in all, I think I got lucky and it's come out pretty good again, and A LOT stronger!

attachment.php

Preparing for the black silicone yet again:

attachment.php

attachment.php

While I'm waiting for it to dry up and harden, I'm working some more on the ARC, as well as wiring for the gloves:

attachment.php

Everything seems to be in working order:

attachment.php

Et viola:

attachment.php

ARC finished with RGB lighting, now mounted to the chest. The RGB lighting will be remote controlled, and able to run in idle mode (PC shut off), but more on that further down :)

attachment.php

Putting everything back together again, some parts of the ribs have been added, as well as the one half of the back. I hope you like the tinted glass on the ARC, again I wanted it to be a neutral part of the suit, and not making it an awkward focusing point when all the lighting is off. Harold approves! ;)

attachment.php

Main ARC light turned on, this will be the lighting that will run with the repulsors:

attachment.php

A close up:

attachment.php

Secondary ARC light turned on:

attachment.php

Playing around with different colors :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Main lighting turned off, this is what it will look like in idle mode, meaning the PSU would be shut off:

attachment.php

Some close-ups as well as playing around a bit with the RGB:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I hope you like it guys ;) and please let me know what you think :D

As always, thanks for looking :cool:

Just a thought, could you make the arc change from blue to red depending on the temps? :) Just a wild idea, feel free to ignore.

But it looks great. I especially love the tinted arc window, it really draws the attention away from the arc to the bold red and black of the suit. Very nicely done!

Looking amazing..... glad you overcame your ragequit.

Glad you like it mate :) Yeah me too lol, must learn to control my temper haha

Just a thought, could you make the arc change from blue to red depending on the temps? :) Just a wild idea, feel free to ignore.

But it looks great. I especially love the tinted arc window, it really draws the attention away from the arc to the bold red and black of the suit. Very nicely done!

Cool idea, but that would require a whole other setup, with temp measurer connected to the driver controlling the LED's, which would have to automaticly adjust the colors, I wouldn't dare even speculate on how I would get that to work haha! But cool idea none the less :)

That was exactly what I was aiming for, the drawing of attention to the suit itself instead of the ARC. Glad you got that and thanks for the kind words :)

Update 06-08-2017

Hi guys

So I've finally gotten some more time to work on the project.

This time I've almost completed the back of the suit as well as managed to connect the back and chest together.

Here you can see the back completed:

attachment.php

Sliding rails added to the abs:

attachment.php

Insert mobo here :D

attachment.php

I'm now patiently waiting for Harolds legs to arrive so I can work on the suit a bit easier. Hopefully I will have them next week, then I will cut out Harolds belly, mount alu-railing inside him and prepare for motherboard mounting. I also need to do the last finishing work on the shoulders and arms, and hopefully have them attached very soon :) stay tuned for more.

Thanks for looking :thup:

Update 04-09-2017

Sweet mother of God........ Cown has kidnapped Robert Downey Jr.

Shh! Don't tell anyone or Hollywood might find out! :eek: :D

Alright, time for another update, this time a little bigger :)

After couple of sidetracks, like the fellow below ;) repairing the printer, and testing out some new filaments, I'm now finally ready to continue printing the rest of the suit and working on more details for completed parts.

attachment.php

Groot says, well "I am Groot!"

As you could see from the last video I've posted, I was trying out different ideas for what to put inside the head, and the one in the video from earlier stuck. I had a couple of ideas with an Arduino mega, along with a 3.5" TFT screen I recently ordered. First I thought of havin't it work as a hardware monitor, displaying temps, cpu/grp speeds, rpms, etc., but then thought that would be too boring. I then got the idea of using Tony's face inside the helmet using a GIF image, but this couldn't be done with the Arduino. Then I thought of using a Raspberry Pi 3 instead, but came to the conclusion that the 3.5" screen would simply be too small for the face. I then remembered having an old 7" tablet lying around, nobody uses anymore and concluded that it should be able to do the trick. The following is what it ended up being :)

First thing's first. Harold seriously needed plastic surgery, and what better tool for the job, than my trusty Dremel :cool:

attachment.php

He doesn't look too pleased :sly:

attachment.php

After finding the right video, and altering the size etc. it was time to see how it would fit the best.

attachment.php

In the progress, I decided to change the color of the LED's as well. A bit difficult to see in daylight.

attachment.php

After cutting out a frame made of acrylic glass, I added some black foil to it and attached the tablet behind the frame.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Testing it out in the dark:

attachment.php

Now it's time to fit the Arduino, controlling the servo, inside as well:

attachment.php

I printed a support frame for the Arduino:

attachment.php

At first i fitted it to the battery pack for the LED's, but had to move it again, since it would no longer fit Harold's head :bang head

attachment.php

That's better:

attachment.php

All the bells and whistles tucked nicely inside Harold's new face:

attachment.php

I've added some old stuff I had lying around to give it a more "techy/robotic" look:

attachment.php

"IT'S ALIVE! :clap:

attachment.php

In the dark:

attachment.php

Assembling:

attachment.php

And some final test pictures :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And a video, just to show you how it works :D

Now as my printer is hard at work printing the rest of the body, below, part of the left thigh, my next step will be completing the arms and cutting out Harold's guts, to make room for rails that will support the motherboard, as well as the PSU.

attachment.php

Hope you guys like what you've seen so far :)

Stay tuned for more, and as always, thanks for looking guys :thup:

Update 24-10-2017.

Hey guys.

Time for an update.

I must apologize for the delay in updates, but I've had some serious issues with my printer, as will be shown below.

As you can see, my print quality has started to go down hill, here the crotch for the midsection:

attachment.php

Here is another part from the midsection, here you can see the supports being affected by an excessive amount of stringing: (The hair like mess in the back)

attachment.php

Here's the midsection completed. You may notice some layer separations:

attachment.php

New back of the neck, scaled in a more correct size:

attachment.php

Taking a closer look, you can clearly see the layers have separated during printing:

attachment.php

Hip joints, not so demanding for the printer, until bridging is needed, you can see here as well it failed miserably:

attachment.php

And here:

attachment.php

And this:

Now at this point I was starting to get a bit frustrated. I'd at this point disassembled the extruder maybe 10 times, looking for clogs, misalignment of the extruder, changing the extruder gear, changing the thermistor inside the hotend, changed the filament, thinking moisture might be the cause... I'd changed and tested A LOT of different retraction and temperature settings in the slicer, but nothing made a difference.

Running more tests and trying to figure out what was wrong but testing with a 3DBenchy, again epic fail. At this point I noticed excessive oozing from the nozzle and was certain that this had something to do with it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tried a string test:

attachment.php

I now started to suspect the firmware in the printer itself, maybe something had gone horribly wrong, since I knew I was using unoriginal beta versions of a different firmware. I formatted the LCD, and uploaded new firmware to both the printer boards and LCD.

After the firmware update I did a new string test, which was somewhat improved:

attachment.php

Then did some more Benchies, ALL FAILED!

attachment.php

Now going back to try and figure out why the hotend was oozing like crazy I had a bad feeling that the stepper motor was broken. I disassembled the motor and lubricated the bearings and cleaned out everything not supposed to be there.

This gave me a result I hadn't had for days, but unfortunately still some layer separation at the top:

attachment.php

At this point the printer was starting to make strange clicking noises as well, giving me reason to believe that something was now wrong with the gear and that it wasn't gripping the filament as it should thereby causing the clicking noises. I noticed very small fractures of filament between the gear bladed. It took 3 days of non-stop tinkering with the slicer,firmware and extruder, just to realize that the lever pulley was worn down causing the filament to bend inside the extruder, making the gear slip it's grip and grind the filament instead of biting in to it like it was supposed to!

I did the only rational thing possible! I printed a new lever:

attachment.php

Which resulted in no more layer separation or strange clicking sounds:

attachment.php

I am now up and running again and will post more pictures of the suit as I get more parts done.

Now while it's working again, I am throwing my energy at adding a remote controlled feature to the helmet, so I no longer have to use a button switch to open and close the faceplate:

attachment.php

I hope you approve and thanks for looking :thup:

Last edited:
Back