• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG [3D Printed] The Iron suit project -

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
Cown

Cown

Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2002
Location
Denmark
Update 23-12-2017.

Hey guys


It's finally time for another update.

After fixing the printer and continuing onward with the suit, I managed to almost finish the thighs:

attachment.php


Then I had a major clog again, this time so bad, that when trying to clean the hotend, the metal guide tube broke clean off :-/

attachment.php


I ordered a new replacement and wanted to get back on track, but my luck of running problem was out :-/

attachment.php


Major problems with partial clogs/under-extrusions. After multiple hours of frustrations and testing it seemed that this new type of black PLA filament I've been using, required an extreme raise in temperature in order to work properly. Normally I would print PLA in the range of 195 - 215° without any issues, but this, I have to print at the same temperature I would print ABS, at a whopping 240°.I talked to the retailer I bought the filament from and they confirmed that they've experienced necessity to raise the temperature up to 50° more than normal PLA. This would have been a very helpful, money- and time-saving information to have had. Oh well, one learns from trial and error. :facepalm:

Here I'm printing at 230° and already the problems have minimized a hole lot:

attachment.php


Here I've done it at 240° and I'm almost free of issues:

attachment.php


In comparison:

attachment.php


Now my Wanhao is finally up and running again, currently printing one of the feet for the suit:

attachment.php


attachment.php


In the meanwhile, trough all this frustration of having a printer not working as intended and not being able to continue my work on the project, a package arrived at my doorstep, and just in time for Christmas as well :D

attachment.php


I wen't and ordered my self a new printer :eek: This time, I've chosen a Tevo Tornado, mainly because of the build size the printer is capable of. This will reduce my time having to cut and slice the STL files to fit my printer and hopefully speed up the overall process :)

Here's everything out of the box and ready to be assembled, you can read all about it on my FB page in my sig, if you are interested :)

attachment.php


A test print, done at the factory where the printer was produced:

attachment.php


A #3DBenchy, which I must say came out very very well :D

attachment.php


I am now up and running again and hope to have more regular updates, with not as many problems as in the last couple of months :)

Stay tuned for more and as always, thanks for looking!

attachment.php


Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone! :beer:
 
Last edited: