• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3D Prophet II MX, is this card any good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got one a month or so ago, and I think its a good card. I have yet to have any problems with it.

Running on an Asus P3C2000 mb, 4x AGP, P/// 600E, 159 MHz FSB (954 MHz cpu).

I've read it's getting a bit long in the tooth, and I SEE that replacing it on the shelves within the last month is Hercules latest in the line, w/ 64MB onboard.

I bought it for one reason, and one only. I needed a better card to run NASCAR 4 properly. This is does.

So, I guess I'm happy w/ it......

Mr B

From what I have heard, this is the best MX card as it comes with the fastest memory/default memory clock. Not too bad of a purchase if you ask me. I like my MX, it gives me enough power when combined with an overclocked Duron system to give me playable framerates in UT and Q3A and runs Geiss nicely for when I wanna chill to some visual music.

ADDED NOTE: Countless reviews have stated that the GeForce2 MX's limitation is the memory bandwidth. You'll increase your cards' power by getting one with better memory and a faster memory clock vs. overclocking the core alone. So that's why a 3D Prophet II MX is a good card.... the 183 MHz default mem. clock is faster than average (166 MHz) and is pretty overclockable.

SickBoy

the mx has only two pixel pipelines..compared to the gts and ultra's four pipelines (according to maximumpc) aug2000 "videocard smackdown"....I quote
"Next up for nvidia is a midrange chip based on the geforce 2 core, that's targeted for corporate users. clocked at 150mhz, the geforce mx chip will be faster than geforce but slower than the geforce 2. The geforce mx also differs form it's predecessors in that it's equiped with only two pixel pipelines, not four." end quote.
So there you have it, it's a neutered geforce 2...and if I were to get a geforce 2, it would have to be a gts with ddr...like a leadtec.
This smacks of the same B.S. they pulled with the TNT2M64...many don't know this, but the M64 has only a 64bit data path....compared to the ultra's 128bit data path...which is why you can never reach the framerates that an ultra does with an M64

I have a that card and it is good enough for me.
You can't aspect that when you buy this card you can run every game in maximum resolution and full detail .
I run my games in 1280 and full detail .
If you want the maximum you will need to buy a card much more expensive..

Greetz from the Dirty Wizard
T-bird 900 @ 1,1Ghz
Abit K7 raid

I have that card and it is good enough for me.
You can't aspect that when you buy this card you can run every game in maximum resolution and full detail .
I run my games in 1280 and full detail .
If you want the maximum you will need to buy a card much more expensive..

Greetz from the Dirty Wizard
T-bird 900 @ 1,1Ghz
Abit K7 raid

I recently purchased the Hercules 3D Prophet II MX 64mb, If you're on a budget, but meed something to run all the newer games, I'd definitely reccommend it. But then I can live with the slight performance hit of the mx when it's half the price of a true GForce2.

I've had the prophet II MX all year so far, I must say I am pleased by it, and it overclocks pretty well. You can grab one for under $100, not bad at all. You may want to invest in something a bit newer though, the mx is already starting to show its age.

JML (Apr 23, 2001 07:41 a.m.):
I've had the prophet II MX all year so far, I must say I am pleased by it, and it overclocks pretty well. You can grab one for under $100, not bad at all. You may want to invest in something a bit newer though, the mx is already starting to show its age.

If you're looking for a midrange performance card, I'd have to agree. The GTS's and the Pro's are coming down in price....

SickBoy

I concur with the others. Just look at my sig, that'll tell ya. I've a blorb on it and the original HS cut in half and installed as RAMsinks. I put some AS2 between them and glued them on with superglue. Didn't help much, it count's for those 5MHz in core & memory. But it sure looks cool.

Back