• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3DFX VooDoo 2 Drivers for Windows 98 (Which ones to use?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Hey everybody,

Been working with this machine and decided I'd like to try my newly acquired VooDoo 2 SLI setup.

So, the computer had the VooDoo 5 5500 driver installed. I swapped that for an ATI Rage 128, and the two VooDoo 2 cards. Installed drivers for both cards (The Rage also) and games show the Glide option, but it errors or simply wont start. The 3DFX demos that came with the driver also will not run.

I tried the same driver, and another one (older version), on another older PC with 98SE. That one was a fresh install, 98 recognized the onboard video, then I installed the VooDoo 2s in that box and their driver. Again, same situation. This box was buggier though, but a very slow non-MMX Pentium 200.

I'm assuming that it's a driver issue, because I've tried the cards as a pair, and individually and can't seem to utilize them. Does anybody have an old CD in their closet? Maybe the original drivers? Or ones you remember working.

Looking to run on 98SE, but would like to explore some NT 4 action too.

I've tried these drivers without luck. http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo2/drivers/

Just tried a brand new 98 SE install on the machine, using the Rage 128 /w driver for the primary, and VooDoo 2s in SLI. Did the VooDoo 2 driver for 1st card, reboot, then 2nd. Then installed Direct X 7.0a. Still not luck... Going to try single card.

EDIT: With a single card, Unreal Gold runs beautifully with Direct 3D. When I select Glide, I get the error _GlideInitEnvironment: glide2x.dll expected Voodoo, none detected.

EDIT2:

So, I removed the device entry in My Computer properties. Swapped one single card for the other, rebooted, windows installed the device... rebooted... Now I get the error:

_GlideInitEnvironment: glide2x.dll expected Voodoo^2, none detected.

Last edited:
I still have an old Voodoo2 8MB, but not sure if I have the disk though. I'll have a look when I get a chance.

Even though I ran Win98se back then, I remember booting to a DOS prompt with floppy disks using game specific autoexec.bat & config.sys files for many games.

EDIT Well, I did some digging & couldn't find anything that came with the Voodoo2. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm still stumped...

Going to try with XP drivers I guess, (on xp) just to make sure the cards are both working well.

Back