• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3dmark03 scores for 9600pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueskies

Registered
I have a P4 2.6 HT with 512MB of RAM. .
And I'm running a Powercolor 9600pro EZ. I was using the driver version that came with the bundle (not sure what it was). Nothing overclocked.

When i ran the 3dmark03. my scores only came upto 2570marks.
On the card tests for Gt2/3/4 i got some horrendous fps below 20.

This was worse when it came to the CPU tests which only gave me something like 10fps sometimes dropping to 0 fps. Feature tests were horrendous too n i cud see some slowdown in Ragtroll.

Are those scores normal for the stock 9600pro?
Even when I had the settings on 'performance' in 3d the fps were still about the same as the mid point.

Anything I can do to increase those scores?

Goateh

Yeah I know how you feel, and the only way I have managed to boost my score is to OC my box. The system in my sig gets about 4027 in 3dmark 03, i can get ~5k if I OC my CPU and gfx some more but its not really worth it.

Your score doesn't seem too bad, i get ~1fps in some of the CPU tests (that troll one), although i did notice what looked like skipping in the tests (like the battle of proxycon), does this happen in yours at all ?

caddyg1

Registered
Thats not a bad score @ stock speeds. you have to understand that the CPU tests are stressing your chip and you will get very low FPS during those 2 tests. if your looking to get a higher score without overclocking; go into your display properties and turn everything off (ex: Anti-Aliasing, Antisotropic Filtering... Youll have to turn them all the way down and then check the box for APPLICATION PREFERENCE) and set the rest to performance. also make sure you have your SMARTGART AGP speed @ 8X and write fast to OFF. Please Post you score

dgk

I'm glad I read this thread. I ran 3DMark2003 for the first time on my 9600pro AIW and noticed some very slow FPS during the Troll one. I'm glad to see it isn't just me. How do I go about overclocking the card? I have one of the Tweak programs installed but the one time I bumped it up somewhat it froze shortly thereafter. So I went back to the defaults.

What are reasonable settings for this card and do I need to increase the voltage?

Goateh

If you are overclocking you shouldn't need to increase the voltage unless you're planning to do one of the follow
a) OC the crap outta core and memory and use after-market cooling
b) refer to A :)

Im not to sure on the settings sorry as I've never used one. BTW caddyg1, why does he have to turn Fast Writes off, i've got mine on and nothing out of the ordinary seems to happen o_O

OP
B

Blueskies

Registered
Seems to me that 9600's are not very good cards at stock. The reduced pixel pipelines really did their damage to the performance of the card. I should have gone with the FX5600 instead! %&@$

The troll sequence was the slowest of the 3 tests. I did not get any skipping on the gpu tests but i did get skipping on the cpu test. It jumps frames when the fps comes to 0. Just as a comparison i think TV's have a minimim fps threshold of 25. Anything below that and u start experiencing slowdown in graphics.

I will try the test as u suggested caddyg1 but this means that I am only maximizing the performance of the card for the purpose to get a higher mark. I want to play my games on the card with AA and Aniso on so that I can capture the full effects of games. With a 2.6Ghz cpu I should be able to do that.. so the bottleneck here is the gpu!!...

Deadly Dude

i think that u have a pro lite card, which means your memory clock is running at 400mhz instead of the full blown 600mhz.

just check wat clocks the card is running at.

thats about all i can think of that is causing lower 3dmarks

caddyg1

Registered
write fast gives no performance increase and when overclocking it becomes unstable.. here is a quote from JigPu and I couldn't put it better myself. "FastWrites allow the computer to talk with the video card without initializing contact. It just sends it data. Unfortunatly, this is usually unstable and in most cases gives no performance increase when on anyway"

(v)estra

gaoteh
how did u get ur memory to 600+?? mine runs at 300 if im lucky (i dont know jack about vid cards help me out hehe)

mazdarx7

Registered
your cards ram runs at 300 mhz single data rate speed, but since the ram is double data rate (DDR), it actually operates at 600 mhz