• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 Ghz Quad advice requested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zithras

Registered
I want to make a new desktop computer with a 4 Ghz quadcore Intel chip. Don't really need any more speed than that, definitely don't want less.

What chip should I buy that I could reliably reach 4 Ghz with (even allowing for good/bad batches)?

Newegg has 950 and 960 for about the same price ($590ish), and I'd even be willing to go up to the 975 if necessary. (Amazon I assume has similar deals)

A couple caveats.

I'd prefer not to have to sand this one. Not only is it rather time consuming, it voids the warranty, ensures I could never ever return a bad batch chip, and something could always go wrong. If I have to, though, I'll sand it.

I'm willing to use as big a heatsink as will fit in my case. (I was thinking of getting an Antec full tower case, and using a Xigmatek, or even a TRUE if it will fit.

Most importantly, I DON'T want the cpu fans sounding like a jet engine taking off (I'm looking at you, Thermaltake!) If I attach 1-2 120mm fans to the heatsink, I'd really, really like them to be the quiet kind (yes, I know, I could OC more with louder fans, but that's not the point).

So, in summary:
What chip should I get to reliably overclock to 4Ghz (and still stay 24-48 hrs+ stable - i.e. really stable) without overly loud fans and preferably without resorting to lapping?
Is such a chip even available (I assume I can easily get the 975 at least up to 4.0...)? If not, tell me and I'll wait and ask again later :)

(I'd try watercooling, but its even more of a pain to setup...and is still loud).

Edit: I've read on the forums today that some people have got the 920 up to 4.0Ghz - but it seems a hit or miss proposition, and really pushing it to the limit. I'd rather spend the extra cash and do a minor overclock than really push a chip on a major overclock - this computer will be running 24/7 and needs to be stable, and preferably not require endless tweaking.)

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You shouldnt be returning chips for bad batches in the first place. Its not defective...anyway, i7 920 D0 stepping with Prolimatech Megalehems cooler will get you there. You can put any one or two fans you want, but that is one of the top coolers.

OP
Z

Zithras

Registered
Thanks for the quick reply EarthDog (not even an hour yet!)...a bit more info please though...Would a 950 get me there much more reliably and easily (I really don't want to spend much time messing with settings trying to overclock), or would I just be throwing away money?

What if I ran the 920 with no fans/sanding at all (or with a single low-RPM fan) but with a good cooler? Would that still work, or would I need a 'lucky' chip?

Edit: just so you know where I'm coming from on this: the last chip I overclocked was a Q6600 with G0 stepping. I went all-out with this one - researched it for quite a while, sanded it down, got a TRUE plus plenty of high airflow (loud) fans, etc...hoping to hit 3.6. Even with all that and days of tinkering, I was only able to hit 3.4. Although it seemed stable at the time (24 hours prime), later I put it down to 3.2, which helped stability alot (no more occasional random crashing), and now have it down to 3.0 in an effort to control noise. Basically, my '3.6 Ghz machine' ended up being 3.0 stable 24/7 - this from a chip which can 'always' do 3.4 without overly much tweaking/modification. My general position on the '4 Ghz' chip is that I'd rather get a chip that can 'reliably' do 4.4-4.5 and under-overclock it, than a chip which 'should' do 4.0.

Last edited:

Jizzzared

No one can guarantee anything, but with good air cooling, 4ghz on a 920 D0 is nearly a sure thing. Usually, this can be done at fairly low voltage (ie 1.2xx volts.)

You absolutely will not be able to run this without a fan. Just won't happen. However, with an extremely good air cooler, you will probably be able to compromise with a lower speed/quieter fan to keep noise down. Don't even attempt fanless though.

Although I don't have a 920, I have an i5 750, which is fairly comparable with regards to heat. I use a Thermalright Venomous X with a Sanyo Denki 120mm (the popular ones everyone on this forum loves) at 5 volts and it is quiet (but still audible, of course.)

At 3.8ghz with 1.296 load vcore with my quiet setup, I load (intel burn test) at about 68-70C. Your chip will most likely be able to get a faster speed with less vcore.

As far as the 950, it is an utter waste of money. I would not even remotely consider it, being than a 920 is essentially the same thing (if you are overclocking.)

Best of luck with your oc adventures.

Amtrak

i7 920 D0 stepping is a piece of cake to get to 4GHz, but should be used with a higher-end air cooler. As the Socket 1366 i7's are all nearly identical, going higher than the 920 is a total waste of money for very little to no greater overclocking potential on air.

As for cooling, you won't want to run 4GHz fanless. You might get away with one low-speed fan (depending on how low it actually is), but even with the best heatsinks you'll be sacrificing a lot of cooling performance. I'd go with a medium-speed fan at a minimum coupled with a TRUE 120 or Prolimatech Megahalems.

OP
Z

Zithras

Registered
Thank you for the replies. That's exactly what I wanted to know. You just saved me a few hundred dollars :)

Edit: Are Newegg and Amazon only selling D0 stepping on their new chipns now, considering they started shipping out in April, or should I make sure and get a guaranteed D0 chip?

Zithras

Last edited: