• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 of my 6 cores are throttled after installing a new cooler!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Manlav

So I upgraded from an Antec Kuhler 620 to a Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E, and now cores 2, 3, 4, and 5 are throttled to 1406MHz and 0/1 are sitting at 4219MHz. I didn't tighten the mounting screws more than 4 full turns and I put space between the mosfet heatsink and the rear fan, so what did I do wrong?
AMD FX-6350
Gigabyte 990-FXA-UD3 Rev 3.0
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
XFX R9 290x 2x crossfire
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W silver

Could a loose CPU power connector cause this? The mobo has an 8-pin, and my PSU has 2x4-pin that make 8. I'm so lost right now. They were all at 4219 before the cooler swap

trents

What are your temps under load like? Showing us idle temps does not help. Or are you saying the throttling is occurring even when not loaded? Do you have turbo turned off in bios? What I'm looking at in your pic looks normal of turbo is still active and the computer is not loaded. Not all the cores will be running at the same speed. You need to put it under load and capture a screenie for us of HWMonitor.

Waza

That is just turbocore doing it's thing. When you ramp up to full load those cores should equalize. Sometimes turbocore will boost one or two cores while dropping rest of the cores little bit lower and you can eliminate this behaviour just by disabling turbo core from the bios.

OP
M

Manlav

It's a 6350, it's the non turbo one, and even though the motherboard can throttle, I have all of those options turned off. It does the same thing in prime95 at full load, still throttled, same speeds, but it never exceeds 58C.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
It's a 6350, it's the non turbo one, and even though the motherboard can throttle, I have all of those options turned off. It does the same thing in prime95 at full load, still throttled, same speeds, but it never exceeds 58C.

Unless you turned off AMD Turbo in the BIOS, all these FX chip have a boost clock. That boost is AMD Turbo and it will only boost 2 cores if it needs to instead of boosting all 6.

Check the BIOS for it :)

Also make sure HPC is "Enabled" in the BIOS as well!!

OP
M

Manlav

I turned off turbo in the bios for the sake of having a consistent and constant overclock speed. I'll double check to make sure it didn't revert somehow when I get home. Does anyone else have this motherboard?

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I turned off turbo in the bios for the sake of having a consistent and constant overclock speed. I'll double check to make sure it didn't revert somehow when I get home. Does anyone else have this motherboard?
Check for HPC as well. Might be under Advanced CPU settings or similar.

As for members with this board, there aren't a whole lot that I know of off the top of my head. For AMD, it's hit or miss with Gigabyte, so most here have the Asus Sabertooth or CHV as they are the best boards for AMD.

That said, your BIOS is UEFI correct? I'm somewhat familiar with the non-UEFI bios as I owned the 990fx UD5 board. Rev1.0.

DNRDustin

So this behavior wasn't present before, and you changed nothing but the cooler? This seems like AMD "Green" features. You never changed anything in the bios?

trents

If you are using AMD Overdrive to overcllock or monitor then Turbo Core needs to be unchecked in the user interface of the program. AMDOD can switch it back on even when disabled in bios. At least that was what happened in a recent AMD APU build I did on a Gigabyte mATX.

OP
M

Manlav

So I got home today, and checked all my settings to make sure they're right. Here's what I have.
View attachment s2uMqQr.jpg
Nonetheless, I dropped the multiplier a tad after noticing that all the cores were running correctly in the bios. Here's after I lowered the multiplier:
OHmEqm5.jpg

A check in HWmonitor to show that it wasn't just a miscommunication between the hardware and possibly an out-of-date version of HWmonitor (This is at idle)
K9ODsQt.jpg
And under load by Prime95 (It still throttles sporadically among the 6 cores, but at least not down to 1300MHz)
dHxPs2d.jpg

I don't know what caused everything to work right, I just turned my PC off before work today because it's a waste of electricity, came home, turned it on, and everything is working. I don't even know. Nonetheless, what can I do to keep it from throttling altogether? Should I bring the Vcore up a bit? Not new to overclocking, but it seems this board makes it a little more difficult.

OP
M

Manlav

I can't seem to find the APM option. I swear I've seen it before. Maybe I'm crazy. But turning HPC on keeps it from throttling, so that's pretty awesome.