• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

400W PSU check, enough amps on rails, etc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DisscoStu

Registered
Currently on a 400w psu, i5 3570, 16gb ram, 850 evo SSD, stock cooler, currently on a 630 GT, upgrading GPU. I should have enough power, butworried about the amps per rail, etc. I have a pic below of the psu, am looking for somewhere in the 950, 960, maybe 390 or 970. It dooooes have a 6 pin pci power cord available, but I'm worried about getting too close to the max watts.
psu.jpg

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
It's not the wattage, it's the +12v amps. That unit has a max of 32a available. You'll be using all of that. 40+ would be preferred.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You'd be cutting it close, but fine. The 970 is a 150w card. The others much less. Cpu is what 77w? You are fine, particularly at stock speeds.

saturn

Disabled
It's not the wattage, it's the +12v amps. That unit has a max of 32a available. You'll be using all of that. 40+ would be preferred.
I second this.
Will it work? Yes. Should you get a better psu? Yes. The psu you have is a good unit but I would buy a better one. Not only will it putout the power you need but it will most likely be more efficient.

OP
D

DisscoStu

Registered
Thanks all, I'll prob stick with it. My issue is, if it doesn't work, I have a decent amount of extra work, and a new psu will fit, but not quiiite fit the whole, little plastic gap, and wont fit snug due to the screw holes being off axis... can refer to my other post.But if this will work smooth with a 960 coming stock OC, it might just have to do.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-PSU-mobo-issues-heeelp?p=7891048#post7891048

CORRECTION: my last post made me sad, so i took it apart again and tried to fit the new one, I think I'm going to macgiver so magic in there and make it fit, everything I want is so close is watts, plus I want to change coolers and fans, can't count amps anymore. I'll certainly be uploading that quest for advice too when I get the 18 pin adapter and start fitting the psu

Last edited:
OP
D

DisscoStu

Registered
i figure im at about 170ish now...leaving about 200 for the card under400w total...970, 380, 380x, 390 all at or above my 200w remaining, no?

wingman99

You will be fine my PC in my signature uses 291 watt CPU crysis 3 60 FPS not peak, however my peak load with v sync off crysis 3 is 303 watt at the wall. You will be fine for PSU.

With GTX 970 you should have about 100w remaining.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
i figure im at about 170ish now...leaving about 200 for the card under400w total...970, 380, 380x, 390 all at or above my 200w remaining, no?

Maybe... it depends on which 630 gt you have. The one that uses the most power is 65w. The least 25w. Dont forget you are taking out the 630, so you have to subtract it's wattage from whatever card you get. But you will be fine.