• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

40c IDLE???!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grindee

Hi, I have a dual radiator setup, my wb is 19c, and the water is quite cold in the res. but for some reason i get horrible temps.....im not sure why this is, perhaps as3 not settled in yet? or restricted flow? all i know is its about 40F outside, yet i have bad temps, ill wait and see maybe if the temps go down once as3 settles. Any one else have any ideas of why? (the wb is screwed in to the max) THank you.

Grindee

juliendogg

what part of your w/b is 19c? that's pretty impressive in itself, sounds like you're not getting good heat transfer between the chip and the block. what block is it? did you lap it? and what are you doing with dual rads? how do you have them set up? what are you using for a pump?

neeeeeeed more info!

goatzool

springs retaining waterblock

just out of curiosity, is your waterblock retained by springs or just bolts? I think the springs on my gemini make sure that there is 100% contact between the block and the processor, while without them, you could have pressure on an edge.

OP
grindee

grindee

ok the maze 3 is lapped down to 600 grit and the themp censor is under the wb its the enermax psu one hehe and i have 2 120mm 130cfm fans push/pulling air thru the 2 rads with a shroud thats 1.5 inches thick both sides. and the room is pretty cool thats why the waterblock is so cold prolly too. the water is very cold to the touch. the pump is via 1300 and i just check the flow if ur a mathematician mab u can figure this out its like 1 inch high from the water , horizontally, it pushes the water about 5 inches.. seems purty weak to me.. could the flow be weak?
we removed some as3 from the chip there was a lil too much, the as3 over time tho sets right and the excess will pour out, the wb is on TIGHT , the springs are flat. hope this helps lol :D

grindee

Warlord2

yup it sounds like you dont have the wb on right, 40c is horrible for that temp. try remounting the block. Oh yeah if your waterflow is REALLY bad you will get bad temps too, I hope you set your rads up in parrallel, if you didnt thin your restricting your water a ton.

Ottoman

my setup is pretty close tom, same pump, same block, but i'm using a heater core i get temps in the low 30's...

try screwing till the springs are fully compressed

attachment.php

Last edited:

Lt. Max

the springs are full compressed (i was just over at his house now got home hehe) and the wb is on tight. the rads are with home made y splitters that i made i bought T's from home depot and wit soldering iron redid the plastic eheh. u think ghetto Y's could mess up the flow ??

Ottoman

sounds like u melted them and they deformed and became restrictive.... take it apart and push water through them and see what happens

Lt. Max

well i looked thru them they dont seem restrictive to me.. i guess thats prolly what ill havta do tho, if i can find some REAL y splitters first, i dont wanna order online tho cause i ordered too much my moms gettin ****y. anyone kno where to get y-splitters Locally ?

max

Warlord2

man I still think the block isnt on right or something, even if a hair got inbetween the cpu and waterblock will mess you up. I say redo the block. For my Y spitter I used a copper T so it didnt hurt my flowrate at all. Oh yeah maybe the probe wont let the block make proper contact? Ive seen that happen before.

Deus

Registered
it seems that if your waterblock is at 19C, then neither radiators nor flowrate or any of that could be the problem, they are cooling the waterblock well, that is their job. the problem has to be somewhere between the block and the cpu, maybe you are using too much as3...too much can be as bad as none at all. or possibly there is something wrong with your temp probe. do you have a hsf or something to test with?

Warlord2

hmm try shooting a house fan at the cpu, if temps go down a ton thin your probe is just about worthless or is not touching the cpu at all and just taking the temp of the hot air under the cpu. I REALLY think its just your block not making good contact or maybe your sensors are out of wack.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
warlord is correct, it could also be that your not mounting the block correctly, it sounds like yoru compressing the crap out of the springs, allowing it to be uneven... if they are totally compressed one could be tighter than the rest...

masitti

maskedgeek said:
warlord is correct, it could also be that your not mounting the block correctly, it sounds like yoru compressing the crap out of the springs, allowing it to be uneven... if they are totally compressed one could be tighter than the rest...

If all springs are fully compressed, that would mean that the waterblock would be even. :eh?: Unless the springs are different lengths. :)

Just follow what everyone else has said, and see if that fixes it.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
no not exactly
thats not at all correct, just compress them ALMOST all the way... so theres like 1 turn tll they are compressed

Lt. Max

the temp censor i wedged under the cpu and wb after we put it on to see if the wb might b getting warm. we will try messing with the tightness of the block see if it does anything..