• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

42C at idle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pure_guava

No, I'm not using a stock cooler. I just got new 1600MHz RAM, so I'm pushing my Q9550's FSB up to 400, nothing more. It's running stable and has completed 18 hrs. on P95 no problem with just a little extra vcore.

Anyway, after installing the Freezer7, idle temps stayed the same as stock! I did notice a difference at full load though. Now, it's around 70-72C, where it used to go up into the 90s with the stock before I'd shut it down. I still feel like that's high. I guess I thought this Freezer7 would do better. I mean, I know there's better coolers out there, but I'm not going OC crazy by just bumping this up to 400FSB. I know that this C1 stepping isn't the better of the two.

Any suggestions? The Freezer's fan is running, through SpeedFan has never shown it near its max of 2500RPM, (highest I saw at load was 2150RPM.) Theres two 12cm fans right next to the thing, one rear case exhaust and the other on the PSU. I guess maybe it could not be on tight? Ambient in the room is 66F, whatever that is in C.

Just don't know where to start and I'm pretty sure that something's wrong. Even the Freezer should do better than this, no? :-/

burebista

Anyway, after installing the Freezer7, idle temps stayed the same as stock!
Idle temps on 45nm CPU's means nothing. They are way off (Intel call that slope error).
Just a quote from an Intel doc in which they tried to demolish RealTemp and CoreTemp instead fixing their cheap sensors and their TJMax value madness.

bs.png

I did notice a difference at full load though. Now, it's around 70-72C, where it used to go up into the 90s with the stock before I'd shut it down.
Now we're talkin'. That's all that matter: load temps. In fact to be sure that you have good temps try just one thing: take RealTemp (or CoreTemp if you like it more) and keep distance to TJMax >20 in load. That's all. Happy gaming/OC-ing/rendering/whatever. :)

kucf.

Registered
So what are you saying? Are you saying that the temps are higher or lower than what realtemp or coretemp shows?

OP
pure_guava

pure_guava

I'm saying this: keep distance to TJMax >20 in load. And forget about temps.

Thank you. But how does one 'keep' this from happening? I installed a decent HSF and it's happening. I've tested the settings with P95 down to the lowest stable voltage and it's happening. Thus, my original question: Why should I even be asking this question with only a small OC with a decent aftermarket HSF? These forums are full of people OCing the **** out of their procs and loading at <60C on air.

I guess I can't quite forget about temps. I am in a Cooling forum after all, right? Why would an aftermarket HSF have the CPU at the same temps as a stock cooler at idle? I now realize that this is not as important as how it has the CPU at load, so thank you for setting me straight. I'm going to crack this thing open and see if I can't get a few more turns out of the mounting screw just to make sure all is snug.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
I think he means that as long as that fact remains true (shown by coretemp or realtemp) then you have nothing to worry about.

and the reason you can forget about what you are seeing idle temps as is because the idle temp readings aren't reliable and really aren't relevant.

So do this

download OCCT or Prime95 and set it to run. Open up coretemp or realtemp and see what your temps say.

burebista

pure_guava 70-72°C after 8 hours of prime95 at 400 FSB looks perfect fine to me. What's your Vcore?
Also you can't expect miracles from Freezer7. It's just a decent heatsink. Nothing more, nothing less.
And I want to say that peoples cares too much about temps. Intel did a good job protecting them from heat, they'll thermal throttle around TJMax value and they'll thermal shutdown when passing TJMax value with a good amount.
Bottom line, you're perfect fine now, enjoy your rig. :)

$SOLID$Necro

If you plug the CPU fan into the CPU fan header, somtimes it tries to modulate fan speed based on temps if it's enabled in the BIOS.

You can poke around and try and disable that (Anyone remember what Intel calls it's version of Cool and Quiet? My Quad rigs board is dead and cannot look) or just plug the CPU fan into another spot on the board and see if that doesnt increase the RPM to it's rating of 2500RPM.

Fan specs:
RPM 900 - 2500 RPM(PWM)
Air Flow 45 CFM

If your maxing out the RPM at only 2100, your only getting maybe 35-40cfm!
You also might consider adding a second fan (Push pull config) or a higher flowing 92MM replacement.

This is only rated to cool up to 130 watts..I wonder how much your CPU is putting out when at 3.4GHZ with your voltage bump...at the stock 2.83GHZ it has a TDP rating of 95 watts, though that is just a design spec and not the actual watts your CPU will use.

Some of the new egg customer reviews:

with my i7 860 @ 3.6ghz @1.18v it cant keep the processor under 75c at load. This is even undervolted. The fan is rubbish, and cannot push enough air though the heat sink. putting a 120mm fan up to the heat sink helps, but not that much

This cooler is terrible. I've reseated many times to be sure it wasn't just a bad set. I'm getting idle temps in the mid 40's C and load in the upper 70's C. I would highly recommend looking at a different cooler

Other Thoughts: I have a core i7 920 with an overclock to 3.0 ghz.

Last edited:
OP
pure_guava

pure_guava

Hey all,

I was able to get 3 more turns out of the mounting screw on the Freezer. When I fired up Windows, idle temps were down to 38C. Since those don't matter, I fired up P95 and ran it for about 8 hours. Cores 2,3,4 maxed out at 67C, while Core1 ran a little hotter at 72C. Ambient durng this test was 68F. So, about a 5 degree improvement even though it was 2 degrees hotter in the room.

I think my HSF was loose, or at least not tight enough. I am happy with these numbers, and know full well that the Freezer7 is not a Ferrari. I just thought it could do better than it was, that's all. If anything, I'll go with a new or additional fan once summer rolls around. Thanks to everybody for their contributions.

To answer the question about my vcore, it's set in the BIOS at 1.30v. Vdroop usually puts it around 1.26 in CPUZ. I'm happy with that too, especially since I have the older C1 step. Peace.

Last edited: