• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

46 too high for CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RingWraith2086

My computer had been freezing a whole lot before, and I thought it was the PSU. So I bought a new case with a 420w PSU in it, and I thought that would solve the problem. But it still does it. Before, the system temp was somewhere around 52 celsius, but now it's down around 30 with the case. But the CPU is still around 46. Could this be the problem?

Is 46C the socket or the diode temp? If it's the socket temp then the diode temp could be around 60C which is a little high.

ok i have this same question i have look at my sig for my specs but i have heard that my temp that i get from mbm and easytune is the diode temp and that is at 48ish what would be the socket temp then and also what is a safe diode tempthanks

jlin453 said:
We'll need more info about your system. Is it overclocked? Vcore? Which processor?

No, it isn't overclocked. Vcore is 1.45. And the processor is a Pentium 4 2.4C. Motherboard is a Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra. And I'm not sure whether it's socket or diode. But motherboard monitor is reading 48 degrees right now as I type this, and I'm not hardly even using the processor (3% CPU usage). System temp is at 38. And I was kind of in a hurry when I was typing the first question and I didn't mention this. But I only have 256 MB of PC2100 RAM. I'm getting another 256 sometime soon, but could this be the problem? I've had 256 for over a year, and never had a problem, so I was leaning more towards the heat just wearing everything down. I'll probably just end up ordering more RAM and a new CPU heatsink/fan together on Tuesday when I get paid.

Last edited:
RingWraith2086 said:
My computer had been freezing a whole lot before, and I thought it was the PSU. So I bought a new case with a 420w PSU in it, and I thought that would solve the problem. But it still does it. Before, the system temp was somewhere around 52 celsius, but now it's down around 30 with the case. But the CPU is still around 46. Could this be the problem?

you gotta get some case cooling, man

greenman100 said:
you gotta get some case cooling, man

I did. That's why I bought the new case. It brought the system temps down from 52 to 38. Still freezes. That's why I'm thinking it's the CPU temps now.

Second, I get emails from some readers who buy heatsinks and find performance does not match what they read in our and other reviews. The first question I ask is "What is the temp inside your case??" Invariably the answer is something like "30/35/40 C" - sometimes higher!

The air temp going INTO the heatsink or radiator fan is the floor - all other temps you see are added onto this temp. If the air temp is 35 or 40C going into the fan, then there is NO WAY this heatsink will give you 40C at the CPU. The following table lays out what to expect for a 100 watt CPU:
As the table shows, the higher your case temp (and fan inlet temp), the hotter the CPU temp. It's no wonder that many are finding fresh air ducts to be a very effective solution at lowering CPU temps. Effective CPU cooling requires BOTH a good heatsink and airflow through the case.

To test out how much case temp impacts your system, open the side of the case, aim a house fan at the motherboard and record temps under stress. This is "best case" for airflow through the case.
Last, remember that in-socket thermistors are not accurate measures of CPU temps. Every heatsink affects an in-socket thermistor differently, as does airflow over the motherboard. There is no consistency between motherboards as well. At a minimum, you can factor +/- 5 C to these temps.

SOURCE LINK :burn: :)

I leave my PC of 24/7 i am running 36*c/96*f right now and i never freeze i would suggest "repairing" windows or your os if you can, XP can do it and i think 2Kpro but anything befor 2Kpro cant (not sure, i think they cant) you should download a trial version of some kind of system checker(i used to have it but never used it) i know one of there programs were burnintest or burn in test, it is not that software it is another by them, but it will check your system ram, HD sectors and Etc...

38°C = 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit ....To high...Have you removed the fan grids from the case yet? What is your ambient (room) temp? Take the side panel off and blow air across the mobo with a desk fan or simular device and retest temps..:)

Ok, I'll try the house fan and see what happens.

Cheeze, I know it's not the OS, because that's what I originally thought, like a month ago when it started happening. I reinstalled XP twice, to no avail.

Yep archilochus, it looks like you were right. I put a fan about 2 feet tall in front of it with the side cover off, and played a whole game of Warcraft III. Before if I was able to do that without the computer restarting or locking up, the processor temp was around 55-60. Now CPU and system temps both remain at 30. I guess I'm getting some 120mm fans and sticking a blowhole and some front intakes.

Edit: Within a minute of when I turned the big fan off, the CPU temp jumped to a peak of 63.

RingWraith2086 said:
Yep archilochus, it looks like you were right. I put a fan about 2 feet tall in front of it with the side cover off, and played a whole game of Warcraft III. Before if I was able to do that without the computer restarting or locking up, the processor temp was around 55-60. Now CPU and system temps both remain at 30. I guess I'm getting some 120mm fans and sticking a blowhole and some front intakes.

Edit: Within a minute of when I turned the big fan off, the CPU temp jumped to a peak of 63.

like I said.

my system temp is 25C, CPU idle is 38C

and that's with a 1ghx overclock

your system temp should be near your room temperature, i.e. <30C

you will learn the ways, young grasshoppah

I run my system 24/7 with idle temps of 50C and high load of 53C on watercooling and my system temp can reach 39C with a liian li pc75
Almost no stababilty issues, so it has to be ur high load temps killing you not the case temp.

Contrary to pop belief in these forums 50C is plenty acceptable and case temps of 40C can even be acceptable. Mind u it is about 30C+ in this room in the day time and i run alll fans on antecs fan controller.

RingWraith2086
I'll probably just end up ordering more RAM and a new CPU heatsink/fan together on Tuesday when I get paid.

Is that RAM or FAN and a new HS/fan? ;) It takes time to get it right..The SP-94 HS by: www.thermalright is a excellent HS with a good 92mm/ high pressure fan on it..After you get your case temps down you can look into getting one..:) See sig of rig below..

Back