• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790k . 4.6ghz 1.16 vid / 1.15 cache

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoObi_OC

Registered
Cpu 4790k [email protected] Maximus VII Ranger, 16gb crucial ballistix 1600Mhz - XMP Profile 1 DDR3-1600 CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.5V

stock vid is 1.024 .. cache v. 1.166 with all settings on AUTO

OC is 46x 1.16 vid / 40x 1.15 cache manual settings C states off speedstep off.

hwinfo64 shows CPU vid - 1.160 , but Mobo Vcore 1.168/1.184 it bumps Why ?

and why is there 2 readings of CPU VID, MOBO VCORE ?? witch should i trust ..

VCCIN is at 1.85 LLC 6/AUTO

My Q. Cashe Multiplier x 40 voltage 1.15 should/can i lower it or just leave it be ?

OC idle temp 33-35 .. Load 65-70 C states off Speedstep Off, with a silver arrow dual fan cooler .. shouldnt they be much lower, and why is temp not falling with voltages .. they are the same with vid 1.5 as they were with vid 1.2

hope this make sence, im new to OC..

Regardz Carsten

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Scobi, welcome to the forums!

I think some clearing up of terminology is in order here. :)

Technically, VID is stock voltage for the chip (Voltage I Demand). So anything outside of that is Vcore (though Vcore is also stock voltage). Anything over the stock voltage is considered Vcore to most. Some software, like Hwmonitor, have it wrong really.

That out of the way, it is normal for there to be a difference between what is set in the bios to what is idle in windows (vdrop) and load in windows (vdroop - differnce in voltage at idle vs load).

That all said, it makes complete sense. Load temps are fine. Your voltage is really low for the clockspeed so you have a good chip. I highly doubt temps were the same with 1.5v versus 1.2v Physics tells us that isn't possible. :)

OP
S

scoObi_OC

Registered
Thank u, glad to join here ..

Sorry my bad.. type o .. should have been 1.15 vs 1.2 temps ... :) .. regardz the Cache stock voltage confuse me a little, why cache stock voltage is 1.166 for a 40x multiplier ??
and vid stock only is 1.024 ?.. that said its stock values not OC..

so now where my OC is stable at [email protected] 1.16 vid .. Cache is at 1.15 x40 should i lover cache voltage or is this the minnium . ?

and when i raise vid voltage , for higher clock should cache voltage follow or can it stack where it is so long the cache multiplier remains at 40x ?

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I wouldn't touch the cache or cache voltage. Leave it on auto (or is it on auto?). There are little to no performance gains with it.

4.6GHz @ 1.16 Vcore (remember, VID is stock voltage only)

When you rise Vcore, I don't believe the cache goes anywhere.. its been a while since I was on that platform though..

OP
S

scoObi_OC

Registered
Ok .. lets say i choose auto voltage for cache (1.166 - 1.172) - just thought it was a bit high ?

what about min/max cache multiplier ? is max 40x or can it go to 41 42 by it self on auto ?

it is min 40x and max 40x now should it also be on auto ?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I don't think its high. That said, I do not own this platform and don't recall what its stock voltage is. That seems about right though...

Not sure on the cache moving. I don't recall it doing so...

Leave the cache on auto, both voltage and the multiplier. There is not a need to touch it.

OP
S

scoObi_OC

Registered
Ok .. ill go with auto on cache then :)

lets go to LLC .. as i read its only used for VCCIN right no other functions served by LLC ?

OP
S

scoObi_OC

Registered
Just for fun tried 47x at 1.9 run seems to be fine 30 mins of aida64 stress 10 times realbench 10 times cinebech so far :) averege temps 62, max 75 spike :)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You need to make sure you put 1.19 in... 1.9v would kill your CPU... :p

Nice job on the overclock! What a great chip you have!!!

OP
S

scoObi_OC

Registered
Thx.. me and my typo o's .. sure its 1.19 just crashed :( trying 1.195 now .. do i have to raise LLC to get a little more VCCIN .. 1.856 to 1.872 - 1.888 ? or just the VID ?

do i use the average temps to see if it runs to hot or the spikes ? somtimes spike from 66 to 73 (1 second then drops to 66).

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Again, VID is ONE value. Stock. Vcore is voltage for the Core outside of that (but can also be VID. For example. If you stock voltage/VID is 1.1v, you vcore is 1.1v also. If you raise/lower the voltage, you are not at VID anymore). :)

LLC prevents vdroop. You have two choices, you can raise LLC to prevent vdroop (so its closer to what you set in the bios on load in windows) or you can raise volts up in the bios to compensate. The choice is yours. Personally, I prefer

OP
S

scoObi_OC

Registered
Ok somthing strange happend just for fun tried Prime95 (small FFT) and in 2 seconds temps hit 100 and crash ARGH... Reverted to stock settings Tried again and the same happend is somthing wrong or is it just prime95 ?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
P95 uses AVX2 instructions that will really heat things up. Id stick with AIDA64 personally. It worked well for me.

What cooler are you using though?

OP
S

scoObi_OC

Registered
Thermalright Silver Arrow Dual 14cm Fan Cooler .... ok Maybe bad TIM , ill try resetting with better TIM ... but ill never ever gonna run Prime95 again with haswell cpu arghh

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
At those voltages, with that cooler, you should not be close to hitting 100C, even in P95... Bad mount or paste application?

OP
S

scoObi_OC

Registered
have to be bad mount, or TIM ... hope thats the only thing thats wrong and not the cpu..

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
CPUs run warmer/cooler than others, but, that isn't 'wrong' between them. I would look at the TIM spread when you take the cooler off and make sure it was decent. That cooler, and those temps, just do not make sense to me at those clocks...

Make sure you have good case airflow... front/sides = intake, top/rear = exhaust.

OP
S

scoObi_OC

Registered
By decent , it should be spread all across cpu ? ... im using the Pee method to apply tim.. i used arctic mx-2 sticky stuff have some silver paste ill try istead..

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
MX-2 is fine... the difference between most pastes is 1-2C... that isn't the problem here (the type of paste).

Yes, across all of the CPU.

OP
S

scoObi_OC

Registered
Tried pushing prime95 this morning with much lower abient tempertures in the room, and case open .. OC [email protected] - core #1 82 core #2 89 core #3 89 core #4 83 ..
since core 2 -3 is significant higher could point to bad mount, and TIM