• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790K Seems Too Hot. Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry the second pic didn't UL for some reason. That should be everything lol thanks everyone for your help you guys are so awesome! :)

Yea, I see that now. Pics weren't showing up at first. That's still insane for a default setting. I think that F9 BIOS needs some work. F9 was released pretty early in the Devil's Canyon game, in fact a few months before it's release. I know the ASUS Z87 BIOS updates to support Devil's Canyon weren't released until the end of may.

Yea, I see that now. Pics weren't showing up at first. That's still insane for a default setting. I think that F9 BIOS needs some work. F9 was released pretty early in the Devil's Canyon game, in fact a few months before it's release. I know the ASUS Z87 BIOS updates to support Devil's Canyon weren't released until the end of may.

Yes that is what I'm thinking too. Not sure why it would jump to those settings out of the gate but regardless, I should be fine to OC once I get new cooling. As for the rest, how often do you guys see stuff like this? Thanks again for all the help :)

Oh and also, I'm on east coast as well, central Florida actually so it's all good. No need to wait for replies lol

Bios bugs are actually pretty common during technology transition periods of product lines.

1.35v is WAY too much for stock speed. That should be around 1.1 or less I would imagine. There is the problem right there I would imagine.

Just a note, that BIOS you can take screenshots with. Just hit F12 and save it to a USB stick. It will make the pictures more clear for those that are helping you out. :)

Look where it went to on post #12 ED :shock: mees tinks the BIOS needs to be modded by Gigabyte, but in the meantime a manual adjustment is in order to get the temps straightened out.

Wow, yeah...set it manually. That is WAY high...

Did he end up flashing to the latest bios (I joined late, LOL!)?

Yessir, ED the stated BIOS is F9 which is is the latest and supposedly supports the 4790k according to Giga's website. Which if this is the case the BIOS doesn't seem to be doing a very good job :D

Guys, stock 4790k with stock Intel cooler with AS5 as well here, just like the OP. VID is about 1.21, fan profile set to keep it high, and my temps are also hitting 70C and higher easily, in 80F room temp. It's normal. Hell, right now I'm idling about 49C.

Guys, stock 4790k with stock Intel cooler with AS5 as well here, just like the OP. VID is about 1.21, fan profile set to keep it high, and my temps are also hitting 70C and higher easily, in 80F room temp. It's normal. Hell, right now I'm idling about 49C.
Mpegger look more closely at the OP's screen shots, it's in the 90's and the Voltage is 1.4+.

I saw that initial screen shot. That indeed is high, but I easily hit 90C when running a benchmark as well, and even during gaming, 85C is pretty much normal. Volts tend to be inaccurate in programs till updates have been made, and considering he's using a 4790k in a older board, even the Bios may not completely support it. You are right that he should ensure that he manually sets the VID in bios to ensure correct voltage, but those temps so far seem normal to me for the cooling he has (same as me), although a little on the high side.

I saw that initial screen shot. That indeed is high, but I easily hit 90C when running a benchmark as well, and even during gaming, 85C is pretty much normal. Volts tend to be inaccurate in programs till updates have been made, and considering he's using a 4790k in a older board, even the Bios may not completely support it. You are right that he should ensure that he manually sets the VID in bios to ensure correct voltage, but those temps so far seem normal to me for the cooling he has (same as me), although a little on the high side.
The temps are less of a concern for me then the voltage, as you are correct that it could be a issue with the program reporting wrong. That said the Cpu-Z being used is the latest version which supports the 4790k chip. It also has reported the voltage correctly for another user I know that has a 4790k. It is also going into the 90's at idle not under load.

If it's idling at 90C, then yes, either something is wrong (h/s not on properly?) or the software is wrong. However, I've had this processor "idle" in the 60s with little usage (probably around 15% total), and even now as I type this with nothing else going on besides background programs, its bouncing around from 46C to 56C, which is only about 4% processor usage difference. In the UEFI setup, the processor sits at around 70C. When I first booted up, I thought something was wrong too (fan too slow or off), but for some reason, it just idles in UEFI @ 70C. Currently, as reported by Core Temp, I've already hit 86C on one of my cores, and I haven't even done any gaming yet. Just email/web browsing so far. That 90C at idle, could have easily been just Windows still running a bunch of background programs while loading up other programs, making use of as much cores as possible.

All I'm trying to say, is that the temps, although abit high, appear normal to me. Definitely, make sure the voltage is set correctly, but don't expect miracles and the temp to suddenly drop 20C+ on average just because of that. The stock Intel h/s, even with a better TIM, is just plain garbage. I'm just waiting, like the OP, for a better cooling device to come in before I even bother with trying to o/c this 4790K.

Back