• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790K Seems Too Hot. Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Totally understood Mpegger, I own a 4770k and it's one hot you know what. These chips remind me of the Fx 8 series AMD's. My 4770k will only do 4.4 because of temps, even on a monster custom loop that has 5 gallons of distilled, 700gph pump and 2 360 rads with push pull fans cooling the cpu only, I can't get above 4.4 without going into high the 90's. The stock cooling heatsink is being asked to do a very tough task, even on the improved 4790k's, at stock settings.

Delid ManD.
IKR trust me ED the thought has crossed my mind multiple times, though it's a pretty good OCer besides the heat. So far it's topped out at 5.3 on Subambient water. A pot and dice may be in order instead of the de lid. :D

Hey everyone so I turned my vcore down and it came down to about 50^C idle. If I look in HWmon, it shows 31-36^C current and 40-46^C max. Looks like the temps are way down. Thanks everyone for your help in this. I was really worried but it looks like everything was just turned up a little higher than it should have been. I'm thinking they need to make some tweaks to the BIOS. Regardless, all is well now. And I'm in the market for a cooler since I didn't order one today lol

Hey everyone so I turned my vcore down and it came down to about 50^C idle. If I look in HWmon, it shows 31-36^C current and 40-46^C max. Looks like the temps are way down. Thanks everyone for your help in this. I was really worried but it looks like everything was just turned up a little higher than it should have been. I'm thinking they need to make some tweaks to the BIOS. Regardless, all is well now. And I'm in the market for a cooler since I didn't order one today lol
Glad the temps are under control, you should stress test to see if it's still stable. If it is you could always try and bring the voltage down lower.

Hey guys it's been a little while but I wanted to update everyone. It looks like there is still some work to be done as far as cooling this processor goes. I ordered a Zalman cooler for now but haven't installed it because I'm very interested in seeing where this goes. Under little load, doing an export out of Premiere Pro for a video that's about 45 minutes long, the temps all reached roughly 98^C. This is far too high still if you ask me. I'm now looking into an updated bios to see if they have made some changes and will report back with screenshots of my bios soon after.

98C is too hot, yep.

BIOS' will not affect temps unless by some miracle you are able to use less voltage at the same clock speed.

Strap the cooler on. ;)

Back