• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4790k - Temp Spike During Prime95 Blend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

New install. System specs in signature.

I let the ASUS motherboard do its little EZ Tune thing. I selected the Gaming and Water Cooler options. It's been perfectly stable for about 3 days of gaming and general usage in Windows 7 and Linux Mint. But when I installed HWMonitor and Prime95, I saw the temp shoot up to 100C!!! :eek:

Needless to say, I doubt many games will give 100% load to 8 threads, but still...

Here's the HW Monitor for the Prime95 run:
eztune-prime1.PNG

Any thoughts? Is VCore too high?

Last edited:
OP
Tyerker

Tyerker

Now I have manually set VCore to 1.25V, per the guides I've been reading on here. However, running Small FFTs for 1 second instantly pushes the CPU temp up to 100C, with all system fans set to 100%. Running blend now pushes it to the mid 70s on the package. Is this just normal Haswell refresh behavior?

Also, the ASUS Z97 Pro has a fan port called CPU Opt, which is where the AIO Pump cable is plugged in. I couldn't find anything in the manual about that port. Is this the correct port for AIO Pump headers?

trents

Unless you have custom water cooling, P95 may not be a good choice for stress testing anymore as on the Haswell and Skylakes most people were reporting dangerously high temp spikes with that software. A lot of people are moving over to AIDA64 Extreme for stress testing as it does a good job of demonstrating stability without driving up temps extremely high. Prime95 may be more of test of your cooling system capability than it is the ultimate proof of overclock stability. Passing AIDA64 Extreme for 4+ hrs. may be just as good.

OP
Tyerker

Tyerker

Well one nice thing is I just played Borderlands and Rocket League for about 2 hours and the highest package temp was 79C, so I think I'm on the right track. Going to run AIDA64 now.

-edit-

Got about 4 minutes into AIDA64 Stress Test and package hit 90C. Still 1.25V
Now I'm leaning towards perhaps too much TIM? I didn't put a ton, but more than normal. Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Ozz1

not too sure about this but i thought 1.8v was gettin right up there on water, i know ive blown a few with it, even on chilled water, also id like to know whats your thoughts on OCCT as a stress test if thats ok, not tryin to change the meaning here, but everyone seems to like p95, i dont see much talk anywhere about OCCT stress test

OP
Tyerker

Tyerker

Wow, I was only looking at VID. Didn't even see the 1.8V VCore! What do I need to adjust?

Ozz1

very surprised no one else mentioned it, 1.8v in my opinion is gettin right up there unless you have the right cooling and you havent from what ive read, but hey once again, its the silicone lottery what your board will cop, it either does it and handles it or it fails doin it, 90% will fail

OP
Tyerker

Tyerker

Well, I just went into the BIOS and Restored Optimized Defaults. VCORE still shows 1.8V, but VID is 1.2V

Anyone else have input on which voltage is accurate? AIDA64 also showed CPU Core Voltage in the 1.2V range. Where is HWMonitor getting the VCORE number from?

trents

Prime95 Blend works like AIDA64 normal test, both produce the same heat at there base settings. Prim95 is still a good stability test.

On a i7 6700k hyper 212 EVO 4.5GHz Link:http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ews-ordered-the-coolermaster-212-for-i7-6700k

I find my AIDA64 Extreme max temps are 7-8c lower on default settings than when I run Prime95 blend on my custom water loop and the system in my Sig. I just ran both stress testers for something over an hour on an older AMD Athlon II 630 system overclocked to 3.625ghz on a vcore of 1.5 and Prime gave 5c higher temps than AIDA64 (51c v. 46c). The spread is even greater when I stress test my Intel rig where the max temps are in a higher range. This is the pattern I have always seen when using these two stress testers. This is why Asus has abandoned Prime95 in favor of AIDA64 and gave warning about using Prime95 with AVX2 instruction sets.

Last edited:
OP
Tyerker

Tyerker

With the Optimized Defaults, the load Temp of AIDA64 and Prime95 are both in the mid 70s. However, the CPU is also not boosting. So, time to go back in and tweak, but it's at least functioning within normal limits now.

wingman99

I find my AIDA64 Extreme max temps are 7-8c lower on default settings than when I run Prime95 blend on my custom water loop and the system in my Sig. I just ran both stress testers for something over an hour on an older AMD Athlon II 630 system overclocked to 3.625ghz on a vcore of 1.5 and Prime gave 5c higher temps than AIDA64 (51c v. 46c). The spread is even greater when I stress test my Intel rig where the max temps are in a higher range. This is the pattern I have always seen when using these two stress testers. This is why Asus has abandoned Prime95 in favor of AIDA64 and gave warning about using Prime95 with AVX2 instruction sets.
AIDA64 and prime95 have the same math program, if you set AIDA64 to Small FFT it will do the same as Prime95 with small FFT. Do you have a link where Asus gave a warning about Prime95?

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I'm thinking prime 95 after 26.6 has an instruction set that really heats haswell and later really bad.
I have gone to intel xtu for intel.

OP
Tyerker

Tyerker

Thanks guys. Any input on the VCore @ 1.8V while VID is 1.2V? Is the VID the more accurate reading?

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
the 1.2 is what you are after, that listed as vcore is cpu input voltage, what the board sends to the cpu that it then reduces to 1.2 and the other voltages it uses.
I have had a few cpus that I ran that as low as 1.5 and some that did not like it below 1.7.
my better chips have tended to like 1.8 on that setting.

trents

AIDA64 and prime95 have the same math program, if you set AIDA64 to Small FFT it will do the same as Prime95 with small FFT. Do you have a link where Asus gave a warning about Prime95?

Yeah, but I was referring to both being left on default settings which I think is what most people do.

But thanks for bringing clarity to that scenario. It made me realize I needed to be more specific about which mode was being used in my big post about stress testing for beginners in the general CPU section.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I'm thinking prime 95 after 26.6 has an instruction set that really heats haswell and later really bad.
I have gone to intel xtu for intel.
correct.. AVX With fma3.

Thanks guys. Any input on the VCore @ 1.8V while VID is 1.2V? Is the VID the more accurate reading?
VID, by definition, is your stock voltage. Vcore is that and anything outsode of it.