• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4850+hr03=98c temps?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich'[ard]

hey guys,
just put an HR-03 cooler on my 4850.
i used ICD7 as well, i put about a pee size - 5mm drop like the instruction said?

my goal was to run fanles, and i am atm.
but i just opened up Furmark and it got up to 98C after 10 minutes.
i'm just a bit worried.
is this supposed to happen when thermal paste sets in?
it also idled at around 58C.

the heatpipes burnt my fingers as well...that's how hot it is.

any suggetsions guys? :shrug:
thanks

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Put a fan on it would be my suggestion. I dont think it can handle such a card like that without a fan.

OP
Rich'[ard]

Rich'[ard]

Put a fan on it would be my suggestion. I dont think it can handle such a card like that without a fan.
you reckon?
damnn...
it looks pretty damn nice without a fan lol.
it's not doing any better than my stock cooler atm - kind of disappointed.

do you think my thermal paste application/mounting could have anything to do with it if the heatsink is flaming hot?
the heatpipes were actually burning :shrug:

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Indeed. I had one on one of my 4850's before I went xfire. I had a 92mm fan on mine and the HR-03 did a dam fine job keeping temps in check.

It idled around 39-40-ish and loaded up about 50-ish during gaming. :cool:

Neural Net

Earthdog is right, you could probably get away with a low rpm fan, but it needs airflow nonetheless.

OP
Rich'[ard]

Rich'[ard]

Earthdog is right, you could probably get away with a low rpm fan, but it needs airflow nonetheless.
yeah, ok thanks guys :)
guess i can't run passive after all. i found a link where this guy mounts a 120mm fan on the HR03 - i'm gonna try that =]

Nebulous, whoa! those are some great temps. i guess the 4850 is a pretty warm chip anyways, so passive was never going to work.

moocow

I got the sink from neb and did low 30s idle and mid 40s load(on a 4850, high 30s/low 50s on a 4890). Just slap a 120mm on with zip-ties and you will get great temps.