• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

486SL's hard drive won't turn off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orange400

I have a 486SL laptop, and whenever the hard drive begins to spin down, it spins right back up again (thanks to windows ... ). The hard drives are set to spin down after 1 min in the BIOS. Is there a way to keep windows 95 from spinning the drives back up?

JimmyG

You might try to upgrade the OS to win98SE it may have better power management than win95.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
He may not be able to upgrade to 98SE. If the system has less than 16 MB of RAM 98 SE will refuse to install.

You may find a setting under the screen saver. My Win95 is a little rusty so I may be wrong. Right click a blank spot on the desktop. Left click 'Properties". Click on the tab called "Screen Saver". The setting may be under the "Advanced" options.

In Win 98 there is an icon for power settings in the control pannel. I don't know if either of those will show in Win 95.

OP
orange400

orange400

Well there's power settings, sure, and even specialized SL settings, but nothing related to hard drive and video shutdown. That's all set in the bios. What's really cool about the SL series of chips is that it's throttled. When the CPU is in no use, it practically turns it off. When it's doing minor tasks, it gives it the right amount of power it needs. And when it's crunching it, 100% CPU. For this reason, the CPU doesn't even need a heatsink. Not to mention that a lot of 486s don't get that hot anyways.

But this laptop runs off of 25Mhz and 4MB RAM. I have another 4MB coming in the mail. Oh man, you don't know how hard it was to find RAM for this baby. But the CPU is hardwired onto the mobo, and 25Mhz runs win95, dos games, and not-too-complex tasks quite nicely. And because of its lower power, the batteries last a few days nonstop. Neat huh?

Maybe there's some third party software out there. I think I'll look around. Or maybe I could disable all power management features and use my BIOS. It's an incredible BIOS ... I can bring it up any time there's a dos shell and adjust things on the fly, except for major bios settings. I can even pull out the hard drive while its running and it just won't care, lol! If the hdd light ever comes on, pop it back in, let it spin up and read, and you can pull it back out.

Blueacid

Nice lappy :D

Try checking that windoze has found the correct drivers for all your hardware - if it hasn't got the driver for your hard drive controller, then it might not like the powering down - just a thought :)

Blueacid

BTW - i wasn't being sarcastic about "nice lappy" - i really mean it lol :)

Just pulling out the HDD :D

Supchaka

I would guess its because your machine is barely able to run windows as it is.... Put 3.1 and I bet you the drive will stop running.

OP
orange400

orange400

Oh man, it runs windows sooooooo well you woudn't even believe it. You'd think it has 150 Mhz on it. Like, I double click My Computer and BAM its up. I go into the control panel, BAM its up, tick tick tick (hdd), BAM the icons are loaded. It runs like a close-to-modern machine running windows XP. I even use it to browse the internet, check my email, even play 3D dos games! I play tetrinet, link to my graphing calc, qbasic ... heheh, it's great.

Yeah 3.1 does let the drive spin down, but I really like windows 95 - waaaay more possibilities, power, control, and I just plain like it a lot. It's like ... cozy, lol.

That's a good idea to try to find a hard drive controller. I'm gonna look around for one, thanks!

OP
orange400

orange400

Well, had no luck with the controller but ...

My expanded ram was a defect, so windows was bsod'ing on me all over. I didn't know it was the RAM, and I was hacking windows a lot, so I decided to reinstall it. When I did, I selected to install no power management, and it lets the BIOS shut down the HDD now!! Yahoo for the shut down, but I'm dyin about that ram ... I gotta get that replaced.

Thanks for all your help!

Cyrix_2k

BTW, I installed 98se on my old lappy. P133 w/16mb of ram. It was a IBM Thinkpad 760e. Also, the original 98 wouldn't install over 95. Weird?

dorimon81

Sometimes on my P90, when I try to put it on standy or sometimes, when I even try to shut it down, the hard drive stays on. I think that this problem is being caused by the CMOS battery because it is near dead. I think that the CMOS battery is causing this problem because in the instructions, it says that when I put the system on standby, it uses the cmos battery for 5 minutes sort of like a back-up battery incase the main battery is dead.