• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4890 or 5850?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cderrow

The computer parts I'm ordering for Christmas will have to be around $900. I already have the mouse, keyboard, headset, and monitor (1080p). I know that a 4890 will run pretty much every game so far at a good frame rate on max settings at that resolution. My dilemma is that I just read about 5850's, which seem to be a much better choice since they are like 20% faster than 4890's, quieter, and run cooler. The only problem with switching to a 5850 is that it's going to be an extra $100, maybe more. The computer parts I have planned out to buy add up to about $900, but that's with a 4890. Is it really worth it to get the 5850 instead of a 4890? Also, I'm ordering all the parts on Newegg. Would there be good deals before Christmas on there that could save me money overall to get the 5850?

ratbuddy

Not worth $100 more, but if you aren't getting the stuff for another few weeks, hold off. ATI claims the 58-series stuff will be coming into wide availability around the second week of December, and prices should drop back to MSRP then.

OP
cderrow

cderrow

Good point. I think if there are some good deals this friday I'll just end up ordering the parts at different times. Like you said though, if a 5850 stays at $300+, I'll just get a 4890. Thank you :)

theflash083

I would go with the 5850 as it is more "future" proof and it may save you $100.00 over the course of the computer's life in the fact you wont have to upgrade your card as soon.
But what the person above me said, wait if you can the price will go back down

OP
cderrow

cderrow

I see your point. I love how newegg is being swamped right now for those BF deals...

Benitora

I would go with the 5850 if you can find one for under $300. Then you could go crossfire in about a year when prices drop even more :clap:

Raul-7

Registered
Not worth $100 more, but if you aren't getting the stuff for another few weeks, hold off. ATI claims the 58-series stuff will be coming into wide availability around the second week of December, and prices should drop back to MSRP then.

Where did you read this?

SuperDave1685

Benitora said:
I would go with the 5850 if you can find one for under $300. Then you could go crossfire in about a year when prices drop even more

+1. I think this would be your most cost effective solution over the long term, as well as offering you DirectX 11 capability when DX11 games come out. just my $0.02

Neural Net

The computer parts I'm ordering for Christmas will have to be around $900. I already have the mouse, keyboard, headset, and monitor (1080p). I know that a 4890 will run pretty much every game so far at a good frame rate on max settings at that resolution. My dilemma is that I just read about 5850's, which seem to be a much better choice since they are like 20% faster than 4890's, quieter, and run cooler. The only problem with switching to a 5850 is that it's going to be an extra $100, maybe more. The computer parts I have planned out to buy add up to about $900, but that's with a 4890. Is it really worth it to get the 5850 instead of a 4890? Also, I'm ordering all the parts on Newegg. Would there be good deals before Christmas on there that could save me money overall to get the 5850?

If you can, buy a cheap card now and wait for 5850s to return to RRP. What resolution do you game at? If it's less than 1680x1050 I would seriously consider getting a 5770, as fast as it would need to be at that res and DX11 to boot.

Where did you read this?

TSMC should have the yield issues fixed in December but demand is so high and the back orders so great that I wouldn't count on getting one this year, especially at RRP. Probably by January or February you will be able to get a 5850 at the original retail price. Here's an article about it by Anandtech.

OP
cderrow

cderrow

I ended up buying XFX's version for $309.99. I think it's a good investment since it beats out the GTX 285 and that is $350+... :)