• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4GHz here I come!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[AK]Zip

Well I hit 3920MHz stable and will be trying 4GHz+ :) More info on this rig in my sig. (system 1) I am very happy with how this one came out. My last P4 3.2 wouldn't go above 3712MHz regardless of voltage.

-Alex-

@md0Cer

Excellent job! You are almost high enough to round up to 4GHz. :p

From your signature you have very decent temps for that high a vcore and clockspeed. I calculated your thermal wattage and you roughly have about 165 thermal watts to take care of :eek:

I am no Pentium4 expert, but I have heard they do not take well to higher Vcores, especially not above 1.75, so just warning you that there is a possibility your CPU could develope troubles in the future.

OP
A

[AK]Zip

Sjaak said:
what (in detail) is your cooling system?

Great job :thup:

Swifttech CPU waterblock lapped to 20,000 (mirror finish) along with a swifttech northbrige block lapped to 2,500. I have the swifttech pump and I have a custom built radiator with 2 120mm fans on it rated at 17db each. I will be adding a waterblock to the GBU once DD releases one for the 6800 series cards.

-Alex-

aNTiChRisT

I feel that chip will die... older chips were good to no more than 1.7v on water -- some newer chips are even more temperamental...

Note its an asus board, i really suggest an external temp monitor... even manual to gauge it. If it is warm its about 30c, warm/hot 40c and hot 50c

Regardless of temperature, i wouldnt consider running a CPU at that with anything BUT phase -- and even then not for 24/7 usage.

I remember reading something from intel, 1.7v+ requires a temperature of 5, or -5 (i cant remember) or less...

~t0m

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
if its taking you 1.75 to get 3.9, i'd say 4 is well out of your reach, IF you want a safe long lasting OC.

i would drop it to 3.8 at 1.65 and be happy.

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
I say get some vapo ^_^ Then at least you can have the bragging rights, even if you do have to back it back down.

OP
A

[AK]Zip

The CPU itself won't let me boot above 1.8v and Ive gone up to 246X16 now at the same voltage. I will just see how high I can go stable at 1.78V and just leave it at that. My friend has a 2.8 running at 1.8v on water and has for many years now so I am not worried about it dying on me. As far as tems not being correct trust me they are. I had a seperate temp probe inserted and it was preaty much the same temp (+ or -1*c) I didn't think that my temp was going to be this low, but it is. Also just to compair. My temps at 1.6v were 27*C idle and 30*C load and thats with room temp of 22*C.

-Alex-

OP
A

[AK]Zip

I just wanted to let everyone know that 3920 was as high as I could go 100% prime stable at anything below 1.8V. I will be staying at 3920MHz at 1.78V. Ohh well not too bad for a 100% silent computer. Ohh well back to building my custom speaker boxes for my speakers.

-Alex-

ShaftedTwice

[AK]Zip said:
I just wanted to let everyone know that 3920 was as high as I could go 100% prime stable at anything below 1.8V. I will be staying at 3920MHz at 1.78V. Ohh well not too bad for a 100% silent computer. Ohh well back to building my custom speaker boxes for my speakers.

-Alex-

Not a bad machine.. super fast, super quiet. I still cant see how it could be so quiet tho.. how many fans you got on your case?

OP
A

[AK]Zip

ShaftedTwice said:
Not a bad machine.. super fast, super quiet. I still cant see how it could be so quiet tho.. how many fans you got on your case?

The loudest fan in my entire computer right now is from my 6800GT oc. I am not even sure what the fan is rated at. My 2 radiator fan (not in push/pull config) are 17db each. Then I have 3 case fans which are set to medium which are 16db each. My PSU case fan is 23db which was replaced with a 16db fan. I have no CPU fan or NB since both are watercooled. Before my 6800gt my computer was preaty much 100% silent. Only a slight buzz was herd when sitting next to it, but when I go to sleep I couldn't hear it at all and im very sensative to sound. As soon as a waterblock will be releaseed for the 6800 cards I will be buying one so I can finally leave my computer on at night again.

-Alex-

OP
A

[AK]Zip

No joke man. Its crazy. I hate the sound of fans. Im cursed. LOL

-Alex-

OP
A

[AK]Zip

ShaftedTwice said:

Anyways, how much did that cooling system cost altogether?

If that directed to me then. The CPU block was $40, the northbridge was $35, pump was $65, radiator didn't cost anything because I made it. So $140. :)

OP
A

[AK]Zip

1-Man-Army said:
got any pics :D of the w/c setup...

Yes I will get one up.

k_r_i_p_l_e_r said:
how does this machine run ? boot up in 5 sec ? lol is there that much of a diff from [email protected] stock ?

Well everything loads a whole bunch faster especially games and that sort of thing. I don't think my video is limited at all either unless if at 800X600. :)