• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 4K TV and New Manufacturer PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajy0903

First thing first:
This question is the question that some people I know of (husband & wife, who are Age of 50 or older, who aren't technology people, who knows nothing about building computer or knows nothing of technology terminology of consumer electronics and all they could only do is to use them.), asked me but I got no idea, so I ask here for "them".

First time in their life, they are trying to buying their PC and TV.

The people in question (Wife & Husband: 50 yrs old / +) currently have 720p TV and Old PC (Has X58 Motherbord, i7-920 inside) (Given by her husband, who also was given by their kids).

So, they are thinking of buying their PC and TV.

They have went to retail store and found these:
Dell Desktop PC with Intel Core i3-6100 Processor,4GB DDR3 Memory,1TB SATA Hard Drive,Windows 10 - Black
LG 50" Class (49.5" Actual Diagonal Size) 4K UHD Smart LED TV

So, they were asking me if above computer works fine with above TV, which I have no ideas about.

Can anyone help them with this?

*Edit 2: I added above so that people won't get confused of what I'm trying to get answer to help people that I know of, who was asking me the question.

Last edited:
You'll need a lot of GPU to run 4K well. Probably the best idea, if the PC still works, is to upgrade the GPU to at least a 1060. More if they want to game with high detail settings.

You'll need a lot of GPU to run 4K well. Probably the best idea, if the PC still works, is to upgrade the GPU to at least a 1060. More if they want to game with high detail settings.
Cool, thanks for reply.

Their old PC, it has Windows Vista, so, I don't think they will keep that PC, unless they use it for encoding/home-server PC.

Both of them will be placed on living room as part of web-surfing and watch streaming (no netfilx/etc.), no game.

So I guess it is fine for them to use at least 1060.

To other people who might read my question thread, I'm still listening to other people's opinions. Guess more opinions from people, the better. Then I will able to help "the husband & wife, who asked the question to me in the first place" more.

*P.S.: I have edited this post cause I put wrong info.

Last edited:
Install Linux (I suggest Ubuntu) if it's just a HTPC.

Or maybe just get a Shield TV. It uses a Nvidia GPU based on the same architecture as the desktop versions. It won't do the really advanced upscaling that a good desktop GPU can do, but if their eyesight is anything like the stereotype goes, they won't see the (small) difference.

Install Linux (I suggest Ubuntu) if it's just a HTPC.

Or maybe just get a Shield TV. It uses a Nvidia GPU based on the same architecture as the desktop versions. It won't do the really advanced upscaling that a good desktop GPU can do, but if their eyesight is anything like the stereotype goes, they won't see the (small) difference.
As I mentioned above, they are both 50 and over and they are just consumer who knows nothing about electronics/appliances/etc.

Unfortunately, they just buy stuffs and use and "they aren't technology people.

So, unless they use Manufacturer made PC, they could never able to use anything.

Unfortunately, if they have known about linux or shield tv, they wouldn't have asked me about it in in the first place.

In an honest question, is there much reason to get them a 4K TV? There's so little media in 4K at this point and it still costs more than a 1080p TV. If they are just going to be using the PC for entertainment/playing movies/tv shows (presumably through netflix/amazon prime) then just adding a video card to it that would support 4K would be more than enough. Just update the OS, would save some cash.

In an honest question, is there much reason to get them a 4K TV?
They thinking buying 4K, just cause the retail store staff suggested them, when they told him that they have 720p TV (They didn't even know what tv they were using, until "they asked me of what kind of tv they have") and wants to buy new TV.

There's so little media in 4K at this point and it still costs more than a 1080p TV.
About that, I have put wrong information.
They don't know anything about terminology of current technology, unless me or retail staff tells them. And they don't care about the cost to buy anything, cause they have enough money to buy what ever they want.

If they are just going to be using the PC for entertainment/playing movies/tv shows (presumably through netflix/amazon prime) then just adding a video card to it that would support 4K would be more than enough.
In above replies, I have put wrong information about their computer usage: They only use computer browsing web (surfing-web + watch streaming that aren't Netflix/Amazon/etc.) They don't even know what the hack is netflix/amazon/amazon prime/etc.

Just update the OS, would save some cash.
How would they update OS to knew one? Above I have mentioned about who/what they are.
They have "No Single Knowledge of building PC/Technology Terminology/No Nothing".

Last edited:
Are you in a position to help them update the OS?

If they don't even know what those things are I honestly don't see much reason to buy something new as it appears they likely wouldn't know the difference. But if money doesn't matter then I guess get a OLED 4K that supports HDR so that it covers all of the current best tech.

What streaming would they use that isn't one of the major ones? Do they just go to the broadcaster website (fox.com or whatever) and watch the tv from there?

Are you in a position to help them update the OS?
Yeah, but the problem with updating to New OS is that in USA, MS just announced that they will no longer sell Windows 7 Pro or it's license.

So, we have to use Windows 10.

But problem with that is, their computer has way too old hardware (X58 Motherboard, when I checked their PC), which they don't have driver in their manufacturer's website.

If they don't even know what those things are I honestly don't see much reason to buy something new as it appears they likely wouldn't know the difference. But if money doesn't matter then I guess get a OLED 4K that supports HDR so that it covers all of the current best tech.
Even they don't know what those stuffs are, I'm sure they could tell the differences in graphic quality, I mean visual wise, aren't they?

I mean think about it, since their old tv was 720p, I'm sure when they were streaming videos, everything should have shown 720p and below, right? So, I'm sure if they use higher resolution tv and watch streaming with same quality, I'm sure they can tell quality differences?

Yeah, the money isn't problem.

The original question of what they asked me was, whether the above Dell computer will be able to run using above TV or not. So, if this computer's specification is able to run the above TV, I think the money wont matter to them.

What streaming would they use that isn't one of the major ones? Do they just go to the broadcaster website (fox.com or whatever) and watch the tv from there?
None of you mentioned. It's just Internet streaming site that streams foreign broadcast.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you need a pc for this? Can you not use a roku or similar streaming device?

Yeah, but the problem with updating to New OS is that in USA, MS just announced that they will no longer sell Windows 7 Pro or it's license.

So, we have to use Windows 10.

But problem with that is, their computer has way too old hardware (X58 Motherboard, when I checked their PC), which they don't have driver in their manufacturer's website.

Even they don't know what those stuffs are, I'm sure they could tell the differences in graphic quality, I mean visual wise, aren't they?

I mean think about it, since their old tv was 720p, I'm sure when they were streaming videos, everything should have shown 720p and below, right? So, I'm sure if they use higher resolution tv and watch streaming with same quality, I'm sure they can tell quality differences?

Yeah, the money isn't problem.

The original question of what they asked me was, whether the above Dell computer will be able to run using above TV or not. So, if this computer's specification is able to run the above TV, I think the money wont matter to them.

None of you mentioned. It's just Internet streaming site that streams foreign broadcast.

Is the internet streaming site that they are using streaming content in 4K? If not it may not look great trying to stretch lower quality images across a much higher resolution screen. The reason I asked about Netflix is that they stream in 4K (at least with their netflix original series).

You can't buy a windows 7 license directly from microsoft but you can buy a win7 64bit pro license from newegg today: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...416804&cm_re=windows_7-_-32-416-804-_-Product

To answer your question about the Dell - http://ark.intel.com/products/90729/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz that CPU supports 4K/60hz which is good. You would have to look into the exact version of HDMI port that is on the PC, if it isn't hdmi 2.0 I believe) it will not support 4K output.

Is the internet streaming site that they are using streaming content in 4K? If not it may not look great trying to stretch lower quality images across a much higher resolution screen. The reason I asked about Netflix is that they stream in 4K (at least with their netflix original series).
Np, maybe 1080p. Also I mentioned above, they don't even know what is the Netflix.

You can't buy a windows 7 license directly from microsoft but you can buy a win7 64bit pro license from newegg today: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...416804&cm_re=windows_7-_-32-416-804-_-Product
I think it includes online or retail store.

If I'm wrong, correct me.

To answer your question about the Dell - http://ark.intel.com/products/90729/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz that CPU supports 4K/60hz which is good. You would have to look into the exact version of HDMI port that is on the PC, if it isn't hdmi 2.0 I believe) it will not support 4K output.
Oh, ok.

I just searched all over for this computer's spec, even Dell website.

None of them mentions what is the version of HDMI.

May have to contact Dell support in that case to find out, would hate for you to buy a new machine and have it not work for you. Granted you could always buy a small/low profile videocard that supports 4K and has hdmi2.0 and that would also work (of course would probably have to avoid things that require extra power, etc).

May have to contact Dell support in that case to find out, would hate for you to buy a new machine and have it not work for you. Granted you could always buy a small/low profile videocard that supports 4K and has hdmi2.0 and that would also work (of course would probably have to avoid things that require extra power, etc).
Yeah, I don't think they would like it, if they buy that computer and not working for them (You know I'm asking this thread question for other people).

About "buy a small/low profile videocard that supports 4K and has hdmi2.0", which card does that?

Forgot to ask above, "CPU supports 4K/60hz which is good."

I know it will be fine for 27 inch or 32 inch 4K monitor but will that be enough for minimum inch for 4K UHD TV, 50 inch or 55 inch 4K UHD TV that I mentioned above?

Last edited:
monitor size has 0 impact on the processing speed that is necessary. 4K at 2'' is the same as 4K at 200'', it's the same number of pixels just in a smaller form factor.

looks like there are currently no low profile hdmi 2.0 video cards on the market yet (that I can find).

monitor size has 0 impact on the processing speed that is necessary. 4K at 2'' is the same as 4K at 200'', it's the same number of pixels just in a smaller form factor.
Oh, ok.

looks like there are currently no low profile hdmi 2.0 video cards on the market yet (that I can find).
Let me try to find it.

*Edit 1: The NVIDIA 700 series has these:
HDMI Connectors 1 (version 1.4a)
Max Resolution: 4096x2160 @24 Hz
At least it can run 4K.

So, me and they talked about what to to this morning and we decided that I would custom build their computer for them.

So, I have made and gave them, the lists of PC component required we will go to several different retail store today to buy parts and build their PC.

So, these are half decided components for their new custom build PC:
Case: ITX/Mini-ITX
PSU: 500W PSU
CPU: 6th Generation i3
Motherboard: H170/Z170 ITX/Mini-ITX
RAM: DDR4 8GB
VGA: NVIDIA GTX 1060
HDD: SATA III (SATA/600) 500GB 7200rpm
ODD: DVD-ROM (Required to install Their CD-ROM based Software that aren't available for download)
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32/64-bit USB Flash Drive 1 License OS (KW9-00016)

So, this thread now going to be solved/answered/etc.

Last edited:
Looks like a really good system, hope it works well for them! The only thing I would change would be to swap the HDD with an SSD. The extra boot speed and responsiveness would surely be noticed on reboots and such. You can get a 250GB SSD for around $50-60 which if they don't need to store things on it (which it doesn't look like it--?) that would be more than enough space.

Back