• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4mm-5mm plastic top?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onlypro

I found oodles of 4mm and 5mm acrilic in a dumpster by my work. Whats the thinnest I should go on a top for my rotor block?

Base is 8mm channels are 7mm deep. I wont be drilling channels in top plate, only tapping holes for 3 barbs, 4 holdown and 4 mounting.

I will post picks of the bases soon.

I'm not sure but that sounds a little thin to me.. unless it's not gonna be holding the pressure of the holdowns.. but if it is it should probably be thicker.

You can always glue few plastic layers together.
IMHO you should make them as thick as theaded part of the barb.
Around here they recently started to sell proper compound for joining acrylic in some art supply stores.

A word of warng to you:
If the barbs u plan on using are concave, there is considerable danger that the acrylic will crack if tapped.. if thats the case, i think i would rather drill the holes a bit bigger and use some waterproof glue to get the barbs in place. also it might be a better idea to simply drill holes for mounting, and only tap the copper-bottom part of the block, since threads have a way of putting stress on the acrylic.

So if you are gonna tap the holes for the barbs, at least make sure the barbs threaded area is straight, not conical..

Back