• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4th core unlcok 720 BE OEM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

alright i'd figure i'd get this going since some people were curious about the ORM version of the 720 BE. i do have a couple of questions though.

first off the 4th core unlocked with this mobo, no probs.

i didnt even boot into windows with out trying it, secconds system post, first windows boot. seems a bit slow but that could be my ram running at about oh...stock speeds.

couple of things though:

#1 when you enable all cores it pops up in the bios with a % on each core whats that for?

#2 no temp in newest version of core temp says "0C (?)"

#3 HT link is defaulting at 1600 (3200) should i force it to 2000 (4000) in the bios?

heres CPUz for peoples:

edit:

Ignore #3, i found that setting, i'll change it after i am sure this processors good.

running tri core now and i even bumped up the ram to 1066 (on both ram/cpu sides), which is a bit faster than what i had it at before and it still seems a bit slow at boot up mabe its something to do with 2.8Ghz over 3 cores instead of 3.4Ghz over 2, its probally not a core related thing its probally a prely speed related issue but it handes other things faster.

vista boot up is werid though

is there a chart that shows all the new settings this phenom has over the older processors (windsor) theres ALOT of new stuff in the bios i know i can tweak and get more umpf out of, i just dont know what ones do what

Last edited:

HoTsHoT

Registered
To answer a few of your questions:

1. The % you see is the ACC percentage, where you can put from -12% to 12%. The use of it is quite vague, but some people do get positive results with core stability and overclocking with the right settings. More does not necessarily mean better, it has to be at the 'right spot'.
2. Enabling ACC to unlock the cores screws up the core temperature sensors.
3. Not so sure about this, but if your board supports it, why not :)

Hope it helps.

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

hmm ok there was another setting to unlock cores so mabe i'll try it and it wont funky the core temp reading.

speaking of which are these accurate temp readings? i just got out of wow running stock speed and i popped open core temp and noticed my temp is 16C its about 61F in here it could be catching a bit of a cold draft from the ancient windows in the house (comps right under one) but that means its idling right out of a game at room temp.

oh wait.... its 13C now....the heck. mabe the temp readin on the wall is off. it is up close to the celing

QuietIce

Disabled
Unlocking any core (and maybe L3 but not sure about that one) always disables the internal core temp sensor. Keep in mind, regardless of how easy they are to unlock they're still not built to unlock. My guess would be some of the internal registers get slightly scrambled with the core change. Just take a look at your CPU-Z processor name & spec - that's not what you bought so something's going on there. ;)

Best way I know around that is to calibrate your motherboard CPU sensor to the core temp. Just go back to stock settings and compare the stock load of the core temp to the board sensor and see how far off it is. After that you can use the board sensor and whatever offset there was to get your core temp again. Most board sensors are precise but they're often not accurate ...

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

ok so somethings up, i switched everything back to stock and started running it like that to see if it would hold up and test out ok, but i started getting random hard locks at stock speeds with 3 cores enabled.

truly random, temp stress or any thing else for that matter has no effect on when it locks up.

i thought it was mabe a ram timing adjustment off seeing how a new processor could cause the need for different timings, so i restart enabled the bulit in test for the bios (memtest 2.11) and i set it to go while i was gone. i make sure its going through the right tests turn the monitor off and leave it to do its thing. this was at about 8:30pm i get home at arround 3am (20 minutes ago) curious to see what it had found and memtest didnt find any errors. i hit escape to reboot....nothing happens.

i look a bit more closely, it hadnt been running more than 4 minutes before it locked. and moments before that i had run it using only test 8 for a while and it didnt find any thing, so i reboot it so it would go through the normal run and this is what happens.

somethings not right, new bios, stock everything, i set the ram back to 800 even and its hard locking, i am thinkin its just a bad processor in general right about now

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

100 billion percent, i ran it with the 5200+ and it was good at close to 1000Mhz and the same ammount of voltage.

just downloaded and tried the newst OCCT (3.1.0 or something) custom standard test, goes through the 1 minute monitor and then kicks in full tilt, first tome off the bat 2 minutes and error on core 2, seccond time off incase it was a fluke, error on core 2 about 4 minutes into it.

i'm thinkin they disabled the wrong core. running in tri core mode at stock with proper ram speed and timings it should do this no probs
this might also be why it seemed to be a bit slow

i'm going to bed now, any one got any ideas throw em at me but its looking more and more like a defective processor

and remember i have said this multiple times, i am running the processor as it came out of the box when it hard locks (see definition stock)
i only say that because i know i am going to get some artard thats going to go "well dude it was meant to be run as a tri" because they wont read

whats the factory stock setting for voltage?

AMD lists 0.85 to 1.425V i know at factory rated speeds its supposed to be able to run at X voltage, what voltage should that be (1.325?)

Last edited:

Zerix01

Did your run any of those tests prior to playing with the CPU and unlocking cores? This would help in determining if it is hardware related or a setting is off.

I suppose you could try resetting your BIOS to the default settings and let it auto detect everything. This may or may not select the right voltages. Just a heads up on that, my current board sets my RAM to 1.9v default although it was made to run with 2.2v. There are huge stability issues from that, so make sure you don't end up in the same boat going all default.

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

no i set all the default settings for the ram manually so ram is running at 2.25v

i dont know somethings not right, reset the bios many times, tried setting the processor settings manually, i think i am just going to RMA it to be safe and get another one.

default clocks with default timings should last more than 5 minutes in OCCT, should last the whole session.
another thing i did try was lower the ram speed all the way down to 400, that still made no difference.

unless some one has a great idea i'll be submitting a RMA request at newegg tonite

edit:

its been about an hour, the only thing that seems to help it get further into OCCT is to up the voltage on the core via P-states...
i'm almost to 1.4 at stock speeds, core #2 fails the most but occasionally #0 and #1 do too.

this is pretty lame, my Windsor sucked more juice (wattage wise) and it passed OCCT at 3.4Ghz so i know the board is able to supply it

Last edited:
OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

i went through one last time after resetting the bios and it was setting the ram speed to 1066 instead of 800, dropped it down manually and its not erroring out.

ok so any one got that list of new bios features with the phenoms?

QuietIce

Disabled
I'm sure Dolk lists them in his thread - somewhere! And I know I've listed out the stock voltages somewhere as well *goes scrounging through txt files* ... aha!

CPU Voltage (vCore): 1.30v
NB-CPU voltage: 1.30v (1.175v if adjustable/dual-phase)
CPU VDDA: 2.5v
DRAM Voltage (vDIMM): 1.8v
HT Link Voltage: 1.2v
NB Chipset: 1.1v
NB 1.8v (MemVDDQ): 1.8v
SB Chipset: 1.2v

Is that what you're looking for ...?

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

no, i'll make a list, mostly it has to do with the percentages with ACC and some other things

the acc thing is the only thing i can think of off the top of my head

QuietIce

Disabled
There's no clear-cut answer to ACC except [Auto] for a Phenom II. There is a thread over at XS where a guy really went into it but not even half the members could corroborate his data so I'm not sure how much effect it really has. Keep in mind the Phenom II's have ACC built right into the CPU, unlike the Phenom I-based CPUs.

Edit:
Dolk may cover ACC in his Guide but I'm not sure ...

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

ok i went through and got a quick list, some of these too are ones that have been arround for some time but i never got arround to ask about so here it goes.

under Advanced CPU Settings:
  • Probe Filter
  • Core Leveling
  • % Value under ACC
Under OC Settings:
  • Core DID
  • Channel Interleaving (ram)
Under HT Settings:
  • HT Link Tristate
  • Unit ID CLumping
  • 2x LCLK Mode
Under PCI Ex Settings
  • Compliance Mode
  • Link ASPM
  • NB-SB VC1 Traffic Support

i know some of these should increase performance one way or another understanding what they do would help though and i've tried plugging them into search engines but that only answered one of my previous questions (DCT 1/DCT 0)

as a side note i re enabled the 4th core, ran OCCT untill i got bored with out any errors and i've been playing games, i havent OCed yet so its running 2.8Ghz ACC is on all cores 0%

QuietIce

Disabled
Core leveling is supposed to level out the vCore but from everything I've seen it's a bad implementation so leave it off. IIRC, it artificially raises your vCore so the fluctuations in the vCore never let it drop below what you've got set in BIOS. The way we test OCs it's simply not needed. We increase vCore until it works correctly, fluctuations and all. Again, human settings and testing trumps BIOS programming. ;)

Core DID has to do with P-states and (?)C1E(?). P-states are very similar to what Cool N Quiet does and if you're looking to idle-down your machine in off hours this is one way to do it.

RAM channel interleaving has been an option for years and I've never seen anyone use it. Ganged mode is probably better if you want to go that route.

I'm not sure enough about any of the rest of it to say anything ...

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

ok well i've been trying to get it figured out.

so far i am running all 4 cores at 3.2Ghz with 1.344 volts, just doing multiplier and see where i need to add extra juice but i do realize a lower multiplier and a higher FSB could mean needing different ammounts of juice, usually gets away with less when the multi and FSB = the same speed as multi only...but we'll see

was having some stability problems, i dont see how it would artificaly raise the vcore, stable voltage is stable voltage. its enabled now and seems to be more of a oerformance sort of thing. wasnt running well but i flipped some settings arround and now its good. we'll see how far it goes on just multi though.

i never see any one except the people looking to break reccords use FSB oc's any more, its just change voltage and multi so i dont have much to go on to see what i could expect for that sort of thing...

which is a shame since when you up the FSB you get faster bus rates, generally through the ram, and notice a big improvment over just multi

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

i am guessing my hopes of hitting 310 on the FSB like i did on the windsor is a bit far fetched with this 720?