• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5:4 ratio problems on Gigabyte

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zip22

my computer is in my sig and the memory i have is the value flavor. i didn't know how to use the divider until a couple of days ago, but when i learned, i thought this could be the key to ocing past 3.2ghz. but i have as of yet been unsuccesful. with a 1:1 ratio, my mem can only take me up to around 2.8ghz. i tried setting the 5:4 ratio. with this ratio, i can only get my fsb to 210 and post. at 211 i get no post. if i boot with the 5:4, i can use easytune(gigabytes ocing utility) to get to 3.3 with seemingly no problem. when i try putting the settings in the bios, i get nothing. the pci/agp and whatever else are fixed and i am not changing any settings except the fsb, and i don't post. i have tried changing the mem voltage (which i shouldn't have to) to 2.9v (the max on my mobo) and still there is no post at anything above a 210fsb. does anyone have any idea what my problem is?

also, i can't find memory timings in my bios. is this because of my mobo?

edit: i should be able to get to a fsb of at least 245 because then the mem would be running around stock (400) right?

another edit: i just read on an intel mobo thread that 5:4 can cause some problems with the intel chipset. :( but im still open to suggestions

Last edited:

flapperhead

1 of the other guys had similar prob with gigabyte. almost all of us have had some issue or the other. 1st thing is to update the bios. 2nd thing is check with their support.

OP
zip22

zip22

i had been checking very frequently for bios updates, but there weren't many, and the only thing they seemed to focus on was fixing some sata raid problems. i stopped checking :bang head. just updated, no more problem. why does it always seem like my problems are that i don't do the stupidest things. i guess its cause i think i know too much. thanks for the reply, you kept my idiocy in check.