• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5 button mouse (MS optical)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Anyone know a place to find the correct Linux drivers for a mouse like this so i can use all 5 buttons....

For some reason, i dont think MS would be giving out LINUX drivers....

Just put in nVidia drivers....
And TUX RACER, OH YEAH!!!!

tux racer owns!

i don't know about the mouse drivers...my logitech is three buttons, but the scroll wheel doesn't work...but if you press the scroll wheel down on the desktop a menu pops up..hmm i haven't checked the logitech site yet. good luck with your mouse, but chances are if you didn't set it up right during installation you might not get all 5 buttons to work.

jeff

edit: this is probably what you'll find: (from the logitech website)

MouseWare-Supported Operating Systems

* Windows® XP
* Windows® Millennium
* Windows® 2000
* Windows® NT 4.0
* Windows® 98
* Windows® 95
* Macintosh® 8.6-9.x

To obtain information for using Logitech mice and trackballs with other operating systems, click here. (which leads to....)

Logitech® Products and Compatibility With Non-Windows® Operating Systems

This document is written to address the questions Logitech receives about product compatibility with different operating systems, such as Linux and Unix. Please note, Logitech does NOT support our products or our software under non-Windows operating systems.

i picked the MS optical (USB) durring installation.... my wheel works, just not the 4th and 5th button....

so odds are not very good to get all 5 buttons working....
oh well too bad for me then, thanks though

no problem, it must be nice to have the wheel working. whenever i go home and use my dad's computer i get used to using the wheel, and when i get back to school and get on linux again it takes me a while to get used to not having the wheel. it sure is a nice feature but not essential :)

jeff

i dont think i could live without the wheel anymore....

but then again i was thinking for a while i couldnt live without all 5 buttons on my mouse.

So I guess i should just be thankfull for what is working then :)

To get all the buttons, you could try Linux Newbie though I'm not sure you will get full use of all the buttons. To get the scroll wheel working, you need the Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" line in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file (or XF86Config is the previous file does not exist).

This is the mouse section in my file (intellimouse explorer):
# Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

You could replace IMPS/2 with ExplorerPS/2, and may have to do that to get all the buttons functioning.

Hope some of this helps a bit.

in KDE i just go to mouse in the configure kde menu, and select "generic wheel mouse" there. the mouse will be all screwy, but if u keep scrollin the wheel like it says to it starts workin
-Malakai

Back