• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

50c...is it really too hot or is it hype?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

I am seeing so many posts w/ people who are using fan cooling and getting much lower scores than I am getting...I get 50c - 53c at full load. Now is that really too hot? I mean the amd specs say you can go up to 80c. Now I just laid down some cash for a new Fan/HS and my performance is not what I expected....i would be happy in the low 40c range..actually I am happy w/ my set up right now but whenever I read some of these posts I think the standard or Golden Mean is 35-41c....that is a 10-15 drop for me. Seems like a near impossible standard at this time for me. I have adequete cooling(intake and exhaust) a decent fan/HS...so why are my temps in the 50's and why do i feel like that is a no no?

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Maybe it is a hunch on your part. 53c on a thermistor that is probably not touching the center of the processor. How much do you think it is off by there? Then lets throw in the core which you are definately not touching. How much there? and of course the actual calibration of the unit. How much there?

40 and below = great
40 to 45 = good
45 to 50 = need to look for better cooling
50 plus= not me.

This is not to say that brief excursions into this range are terrible but to be there always is bad. Heat destroys. You are close so maybe a little more case cooling?

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
I do not own an ASUS motherboard, but I have read many times that ASUSprobe reports the temperature on the in-socket thermistor higher than it really is. Some times by as much as 10C. Boot up your machine and see what the bios reports as the temperature.

Hoot

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

Hey there,
My hardware monitor and Sysoft Sandra Pro read temps the same as my BIOS.
I have loads of fans in my case , so I am thinking is that maybe the fan/HS is not seated correctly...or perhaps I need a better intake set up. I am doing some Ghetto mods w/ ducts using Pringles tubes and plastic conatainers to see if that works, but that is ongoing and no results yet....I guess I should post a new thread and see how people like their Volcano 7's? Maybe the problem lies w/ that fan?

Lummoxx

Funny this thread should come up now. :) I just got my machine back together, after doing a tear down maintenance thing. Lapped the heat sink, replaced the chipset fan, and cleaned up all the wires.

Been running about 10 minutes, at slightly less than the 1.0 GHz that my processor is rated (more on that later), and I've been watching the BIOS temp creep up. Started at 36, now it's at 40.5. Seems to me a bit much for a lapped HS and Arctic Alumna...? The HSF is the Globalwin WBK-38.

I dunno, seem to remember lower temps...maybe it's a bit warm in the room...guess that could do it.

Regarding the less than 1 GHz, I tried the pencil trick for the first time! To see if it was really unlocked, I stepped it down to 7.0, and it worked! Gonna make a separate post for that...I'm psyched!

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

I had a funny feeling that if I took off my Fan H/S and re-applied it I would het better temps...sure enough it did. Not very scientific but maybe the fan was not on just so or maybe too much silicone on the chip..who knows..my temps are now 47c at load instead of 53c...damn...wait...I just closed my case up and re checked my temp....45c!!!Wow I did something right!?!?

bobt17

Hoot said:
I do not own an ASUS motherboard, but I have read many times that ASUSprobe reports the temperature on the in-socket thermistor higher than it really is. Some times by as much as 10C. Boot up your machine and see what the bios reports as the temperature.

Hoot

asus probe and/or mbm5 and/or the bios will all tell u the same temps IN GENERAL all asus thermistors read 10C +/- hotter then they should so subtract 10 from what any of them say in order to get a closer idea of what your temps are. the only way to tell for sure tho is to get something similar to digidoc 5

OP
Puer Aeternus

Puer Aeternus

really?...if i compare my hardware monitor and Sysoft sandra to my bios...the temp is exactly the same. So you are saying that the bios reading of my temp may be 10c higher than it actually is?

bobt17

thats right i get the same reading no matter where i take my reading from.

NOTE: i have not used your board so it might be different

EDIT: i have used 2 asus boards both with the same results

Yodums

Bob mentioned it. It's not the program that add 8-10ºC it's the insocket diode. I would recommend subtracting 8 degrees just to be on the safe side that you know when your getting close to worried.