• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

56k that is compatable with XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SmellyDraws

Registered
I am currently going to use a 56k til I get my cable installed on my new PC. I have bought 2 56k modems so far that are not compatable with my XP Pro and they do not install correctly. Can you guys tell me what modem to get that is around $40?

i havvent run into any yet that arent

just get a name brand one and you should be fine

i've found that a lot of conexant chipset PCI modems have problems with xp.

lucent chipset seems to be fine though.

i'm not aware of any external ones not working. unless maybe they're really old. like one of the very first 56k modems.

With my creative 56k PCI modem when I used the creative drivers that are supposedley win xp compatible I would get lockups and weird freezes when it tried to dail up. But when I went back to the stock Microsoft Generic 56K modem drivers it works fine.

I also have a USR 56k PCI modem in my other comp that seems to be working great with WinXP.

I just got my 3rd modem today. It is a Zoom V.92 (model 3025) and it is still not working. When I go into WinXP and the "Found New Hardware" comes up, I click "next and it starts to install the files. After it does that it says that there was an error and the hardware could not be installed. This is my first time building a PC and maybe I did something wrong. Was I suppose to enable something in windows before I install the modem? Plz help me cause I have an awesome PC that I have been wating to game online with, and I can't.

I had troubles with a zoom modem just like that once. What's your mobo chipset?

Have you tried moving it to another PCI slot? Also, did your zoom modem come with drivers? Try those instead. You might have to install their software before you actually install the modem. -- Paul

macklin01 said:
I had troubles with a zoom modem just like that once. What's your mobo chipset?

Have you tried moving it to another PCI slot? Also, did your zoom modem come with drivers? Try those instead. You might have to install their software before you actually install the modem. -- Paul

I have a conexant chipset. I installed the drivers before I installed the modem. This is the 3rd modem that I have tried.

Huh. The zoom modem I eventually got to work was a lucent chipset.

What chipset is your mobo? Who made it?

If this modem is just to be temporary, you really might want to go with an external USB. It'll almost certainly work, and it won't take up space and resources when you don't need it. -- Paul

I have a Soyo P4X400 with a VIA chipset. I just got done talking to tech support and they could not help me out. He said that he never heard of my problem and says that I should download the new drivers off then net. This is hard to do since I cannot log onto the internet and my other PC that I am currently on does not have a CDRW. It will be a good month- month and a half before I get cable. I have no clue what to do, he said that it could be the motherboard, so I am not sure.

well almost every manufacturer should have updated drivers for win xp that allows compatability. check their website if all else fails...

Hmm. When this happened to me with my zoom modem, all I could muster out of Shuttle (mobo maker) and zoom was that the modem was incompatible with the mobo chipset. end of story. not all the impressive, eh? In the future, I think I'll stick with USR. Mmm, performance pros ....

Regarding downloading on one computer without a CDRW, if you download winzip there, it has the option to let a zip file span multiple disks. You could use that if you need to. -- Paul

i have a usb modem 56K v.90 Diamond Supra express, and it works flawlessly everytime my cable connection cancel on me :D

and oh, I'm using windows XP pro as well :)

you can get one on ebay at pretty low price (if memory serves, I got mine for $26 shipped)

Well I just waited on the phone for 20 minutes til I got service from a tech at Soyo. First of all I live in MN and Soyo is in Cali. Second, she could hardly speal english and every other word that came out of my mouth was "huh?" and "what did you say?". Needless to say, she got kinda discouraged with me. She could not tell me nothing and I am back at square one with an extra $20 on my phone bill. :( I really cannot figure out what the problem is and neither can the techs. Maybe it is not a compatability issue with XP, cause I was told that these Zoom modems should work with it. Could it be a faulty mobo? The modem is the only thing I have in any of the PCI slots and I have tried to hook it up to all of them.

I think it's most likely a modem-mobo incompatibility, and not an OS problem. Same was true with my Shuttle mobo and certain Zoom modems. I"m sorry to say it, but your cheapest solution will be to get a different modem from a bigger company, probably best from USR, if it's an internal modem, or any external USB modem. Sorry. :( Good luck! -- Paul

macklin01 said:
I think it's most likely a modem-mobo incompatibility, and not an OS problem. Same was true with my Shuttle mobo and certain Zoom modems. I"m sorry to say it, but your cheapest solution will be to get a different modem from a bigger company, probably best from USR, if it's an internal modem, or any external USB modem. Sorry. :( Good luck! -- Paul

:( I guess I will have to trade this one back in and try a fourth one that is a lil more pricey. Or else I guess I will just have to wait a month or so for cable.

mbentley said:
well almost every manufacturer should have updated drivers for win xp that allows compatability. check their website if all else fails...

Agreed, I don't use the install disks unless I can not find the drivers online at the manufacturer's site.

i've had the same problem before... i eventually gave up... windows didn't even DETECT my modem.......

umm, how do u guys download drivers without being connected to the internet??? LOL!!!!!!!!

my aunt had the exact same problem... seems windows xp isn't meant for modem users.... my aunt figured it out tho

Back