• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5700xt memory speed drop causes game lag stutter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

Have a asrock 5700xt challenger. I am seeing the memory speed drop to 200mhz from 1750mhz. This is causing a stutter, bad video lag.
I am running 19.9.3 drivers. Can I set the memory speed so it stays put and does not drop, I think it part of the self overclocking and power saving crap amd has.

Could be something in software like a virus or program reducing load on the graphics card, then the card reduces clock speed to save power.

Ok sorry, Fresh install, and it happens on PUBG players unknown. Not a temp issue. Have the fans up when gaming so it runs below 87C on the hot spot.
I had the settings on ultra and frame rate was good but I backed the settings down to med and it seems the stutter is gone or happens very little.

So maybe its a flaw in the game
I know the 5700xt is pretty much memory limited, wonder if its having a hard time being feed enough and so it dips out.

ok I am still having the issue, I was play for 30-45 min before it started to happen again.

Need ideas? Is there a mem test for video cards? It has been a long time since I built a system

Yeah very strange that the clock would drop down. I wonder if its some kind of driver issue as well, or maybe even a hardware problem. Have you been able to reproduce it in any other games? Does decreasing the memory clock further resolve it completely? Have you contacted Asrock regarding the issues?

What is your CPU usage looking like during these events? It's possible that the GPU is just dropping clocks due to decreased load due to CPU dependency. Are you still using the 3570K at 3.6GHz? What resolution are you playing at? I'm guessing the card is waiting for the CPU when this is happening.

I had a problem with stuttering related to my memory OC but I really don't think it's relevant or comparable due to my GPU using HBM2 and yours using GDDR6, but I'll share it anyway in case it does help. When I had my memory clocked too high, I would experience stutter in games. Backing off the OC resolved it. But the clock would remain solid when that happened.

no have an amd 3600 running stock clocks, now i starting to think i have one or more problems, when I run prime95 the whole system will reboot.
Not heat related.

Sysytem is as followed
AMD 3600
ASRock X570 Taichi 2.10 bios
Team T-Force ddr4 4133 was clcock at 3733 16-16-16-36 @1.422V but backed down to 3666 at 1:1 same timings ( has not fixed the issue)
Asrock 5700xt challenger
Inland 1TB m.2 SSD

Thought it could be the PSU so I swapped my old antec 850 for a newer used EVGA 1000W GO
still having the reboot issue under Prime95.

Reboots 30-45 mins after being under load with prime95

Pubg can be a huge memory hog. But the 5700xt has 8GB and that along with system memory should be more than adequate to prevent huge performance drops like you are experiencing.

Sure there are no background programmes running using the memory? Or like someone said a virus?

What test in p95 are you running? Small fft(cpu)? Blend(cpu/mem)?

Does it happen with your ram at its JEDEC specs? You have awfully fast ram for the platform and tweaking it down... I wonder if it lay there.

Prime small max heat power, temps hitting 86C peak

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

To answer other question the only other game I play at the moment is Star Craft 2 and I did the call of duty beta, no issues with both.

I have had prime95 running for the last 2 hours now and no issues. This is super odd.
Could it be SB temps? They hit around 65C

65c is fine. If it only happens in pubg, it may just be the game.

What about with your ram at its JEDEC specs? Is pubg stable?

Stable well, you can see the issues im having including crashing in pubg. I have backed the timings on the memory up to 18-18-18-38 to see if it help.

These are samsung B's so I would think 3733 at 16-16-16-36 1.422v would be fine
memeory.png

I'm talking running at 2400mhz my man...not raising timings, etc. Set the bios to optimized defaults and see if it is stable.

ill try it. Just ran prime95 for 10 hours no problems, within 30 min of stopping it computer craps out. I was listening to the news, could still hear the news with a black screen. Think the video card is going bad.
Seen a handful of other people have issues with this card going bad too.

What mode were you running with prime95? If your memory is unstable and you're running Small FFT using a fraction of your ram, then it would not necessarily fail. Meanwhile if you run blend in custom mode set to use most of your system memory, it is unlikely that you will pass if your memory is unstable.

ill try it. Just ran prime95 for 10 hours no problems, within 30 min of stopping it computer craps out. I was listening to the news, could still hear the news with a black screen. Think the video card is going bad.
Seen a handful of other people have issues with this card going bad too.

Have you tried default BIOS settings to make sure your overclocking is not causing the problems?

Back