• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5760x1080p gaming EVGA GTX 680 Classifieds SLI or ASUS 7970 MATRIX in Crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bondo111

Need Help with my upgrade here because im giving myself a headache reading so many reviews and benchmarks. Im mainly gaming in 5760x1080p and playing games like BF3 crysis2 farcry3 guildwars2. I have 2 EVGA superclocked gtx670 4gbs in SLI and want to upgrade to the best without messing around with water cooling. I was set on the Classifieds but the Matrix really started to make me think about switching over to AMD. So i was wondering if anyone is gaming or seen 7970s or a beefy version gtx 680s 4gb at 5760x1080p with current drivers and what kind of experience you or they are having. What would be the better buy for me. Alot of reviews are with older drivers or only with one card and discussions i read get off track with Nvidia vs AMD heat. I want the best FPS and good experience with dual gpu at 5760x1080p and thats it. I dont care about anything else..PhysX..3D..ect..or price difference. Im leaning more to the 7970 matrix Xfire but i want to make sure i make the right choice before i switch over to AMD...its been a while. Last AMD/ATI card was a 9800 PRO. I keep hearing that 7970s in Xfire has alot of issues like bad micro stuttering or other issues is this still true with current drivers? Does eyefinity work or should i say feel the same way as surround? The Matrix cards are triple slots so my cards will be sitting right on top of each other on my MSI P67a-gd65 mobo but i heard they are designed to work ok that way..is that true if not any suggestions because im looking to get a new mobo soon anyways? Last but not least will my 775w Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M be enough? I seen a total system power consumption of 333w with 1 Platinum version of the Matrix in the review here so i would think i would be ok with 775w but i could be wrong. Here is my specs..i will be upgrading to a Z77 board of some kind and 16gb total ram by next month so will i still be ok when i do those upgrades? Ivy 3770k maybe down the road.
(2)ASUS 7970 Matrix in Crossfire
MSI P67a-gd65
i7 2600k at 4.2
8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
Hyper 212+ cooler
60gb corsair force gt ssd
(2)1TB seagate harddrives
Windows 7 Pro
Nzxt Phantom full tower case with all fans
Or should i just stick with my original plan and just buy the EVGA GTX 680 Classifieds? Any user info at all will be real helpful thanks!!!!

1. They're going to perform nearly the same.
2. The cards like the Classified and Matrix are meant for benchmarking moreso than gaming. A cheaper 680 or 7970 is going to perform nearly the same for a lot less money.

Honestly, since you already have 2x GTX670 4GB cards in SLI, I wouldn't change the GPUs at all. GTX670s perform very close to the same as GTX680s. So, whether you change to GTX680s or HD7970s, you're performance increase will be small at most and not worth the extra money in my opinion. But, if you want to upgrade anyway, then you can't go wrong with either GTX680s or HD7970s. I would go with the "vanilla" cards instead of the Classy or Matrix though since you won't be benching using extreme cooling.

Thanks for the input. If I'm not really going to see much of a performance increase at all maybe I should use my money for a new motherboard CPU and ram instead. I was really wanting to check out AMD just for a change but at the same time I don't want to waste $$. Ill wait for the 8 series to try out a AMD card.

+1 to waiting for the 8xxx series. Your just not going to see alot of improvement with either of those setups and your going to spend alot to get it. IMO not worth it. However, in 6 months or so when the 8970s are out a pair of those in CF will probably beat your 670s by a good margin.

Your CPU and mobo are pretty solid too. I doubt you will see alot going to Ivy bridge either. I think given the quality of your current rig your good to skip an upgreade step without suffering for it in the least. Haswell is coming out in the spring / summer and you will probably see a better return on your upgrade $$.

Back