• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5770 now, or wait 2 months?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunTzu69

I am hoping this great community can help me with this last question I have prior to building my i5 system. Is there any point in waiting till the very end of February before ordering a video card? I'm not willing to wait to save $20...

:p

mrgoodkat

What happens at the end of February? The 3xx series? ATI price drop back to normal levels? From what I am reading, neither of those things are likely until 3rd or 4th quarter.

If the 5770 is your choice, jump on it.

Although there is a rumor going around that Newegg will be having a sale on Sapphire 5770's for $128, sometime soon, to apparently clear out some stock. They had a similar sale in early November on Asus 5850's, that were going for $189. Although both of those deals might have only been available to people who have a Newegg rep. The person I know who mentioned it, does a lot of business with the egg. Talked to him two days before xmas, out of the country and isn't answering his phone now...

Last edited:

Chixofnix

4870 vs. 5770 is a hard call, neither is definitively "right" for the medium/long term, if you can find them at similar prices. I have been burned in the past by opting for current performance over future DX support though, so I'm a bit biased!

I don't expect 5770's to drop a large magnitude before the end of February beyond today's prices (which have happily dropped from holiday pricing).

I do expect the 5850's to come down more heavily though in the same timespan, as they are still quite inflated beyond MSRP - presumably because supply:demand has pushed them there. Those should deflate nicely once supply catches up (or resellers start to notice slowing sales post-holiday).

Interestingly, if you can hold out through March however, nVidia is promising to push out their first DX11 offerings. There's plenty of speculation by those who spend more time than me keeping up-to-speed that these cards will not stack up to ATI's 5XXX series for "top of the roost," but their introduction should shake down all of ATI's 5XXX offerings to some degree, if not drastically, in short order.

killem2

I have a feeling we'll see 5770s drop just a slight bit more (not much maybe 10% at best) and the 5850s-5870s drop a lil closer to their entry level price point, ASSUMING, nvidia's fermi/geforce range is competive and not just another 600.00 top end card. That won't drive down prices.

mrgoodkat

The 5850 is so popular right now. It renders the 5870 entirely pointless, and it will remain popular. People are selling them for $350 on craigslist, and people are buying them. Mostly the XFX because of the transferable warranty.

ATI's comments on the matter are that it has gotten dramatically more expensive to manufacture the 5800-5970 in the last month or so. The place that produces the chips is getting poor yields. And it also likely has something to do with the whole ram debacle going on in Taiwan.

I wouldn't count on either gpu developer to be able to meet demand, and prices will remain high. For ATI, it undermines their entire strategy of being the budget option, champion of the people. They are likely not going to be able to drop prices once the 3xx series hits.

The 5770 is a great card, as long as you are planning on crossfire. They can surpass the 5850, and according to some reviews, they can come close to the 5870 in some apps, while drawing less power than a single 5870. For people with a 1366 rig, tri-fire/5770 is a real option down the road. It was something I was seriously considering before I found a used XFX 5850 for under $300.

Last edited:

Jarhead7236

i've been looking at the 5770 as well but after reading up on it, i will gold out with my 4850 for another few months.