• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5800NU is as good as?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nandro

Disabled
What would a 5800NU be equvilant to? I have a chance to get one in an unopened box for $100. Is it as good as a 5900se or xt? Is it remotely close to the 5900NU? Why did they discontinue it?

blurry

For $100 I would jump on the deal. It has got to be a lot better than an FX 5600 which is around that price range. It probably wasn't "discontinued" but more sold in limited quantities so that sales of the 5900 wouldn't be hurt.

BeerHunter

It's alot better than xt/le/se or some such other BS because it uses 2.2 ns ram and can easily OC to 5950 and past most of the time.

iceberg_slim

Registered
I've got a 5800NU I got off ebay . . . geez . . . a while ago (8months?). Anyway I got a Zalman heat pipe cooler for it because the stock fan sounds like a model airplane in flight. With the Zalman I was able to overclock it to 488/992 which is almost 5800Ultra speeds (500/1000). 5800 stock is 400/800 so it's a decent OC. It's a great card for pushing raw frames, just don't go crazy with the AA/AF . . . really slows it down. It's a big step above any of the mid range cards out now (9600, 5700).

I'd definitely pick it up for 100, that's a great deal.

OP
Nandro

Nandro

Disabled
Is it as good as a 9700pro? Its for my buddys system I'm building and he has been playing on my 9700pro rig, and I kinda wanted to keep the same gameplay or better.

blurry

The easiest way to tell is to install it and try it for yourself. Don't forget to get updated drivers.

OP
Nandro

Nandro

Disabled
Thats my question though. I dont have it yet, and could easily get a 9700 pro on ebay around $100 or so with patience. I know the 5900 generally runs more but I want whats best, not what is worth the most.

iceberg_slim

Registered
Yeah, a 5800NU is in the same league as a 9700pro. Look at some old benches at Tomshardware and such. ATI cards just pull away when the AA/AF is applied. I think you would get the same amount of performance as long as the 2 systems have close to the same CPU/ram...etc.

OP
Nandro

Nandro

Disabled
Good deal. I picked this card up for my buddy. I think it will do him fine. He likes playing all the newer games on my system but being a convert from playstation 2 he's not so big into eyecandy as gameplay. This card pushing raw frames is all he really needs. Thanks for the opinions.