• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5800X vs 5800X3D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haider

Hi,

Having a system upgraded for me currently have a 500X3D here for £330 new not been opened , chap putting it together has offered a used 5800X £190. I'm wondering whether it's worth going for 5800X and putting the savings towards the GPU budget which stands at £550 (used RX 6800XT) so it'll put in the market for used RX 6900/XT...

Thanks
Haider

In case we didn't answer this in your other two upgrade threads.....................worth it is up to you.

The 5800X is a capable gaming CPU already, and if the $ savings allows you to upgrade your graphics card to a higher level, you'll see more returns on that then you would with the CPU in most cases.

That said, not sure if you mentioned what res you're gaming on... 1080p 60/144 is a sweetspot for 6800Xt... 6900 is overkill at 1080p unless you're shooting for 240hz gaming.

Last edited:
Mainly gaming 1440P/60 Hz or 1080P 120 Hz ultra settings. I'm also going to get a HP Reverb VR headset so that's why I'm always thinking GPU but in the grand scheme of thing £140 isn't a biggie, I'll just grab the VR headset in the new year rather than now...

Also if you're into tweaking, the X3D requires a substantially different approach / is locked down a lot of what Ryzen users are used to having the ability to control. In workloads that benefit from enormous cache, the X3D is still superior, but in heavily multi threaded workloads and others that don't capitalize on the cache the 5800x will perform better. But all told it's a small difference compared to the same value in gaming GPU horsepower.

Its a nice little CPU. Pretty boring when it comes to productivity stuff, coming from a maxed 5900X. But it is smooth as silk in game, and it is super easy to cool so you get a super quiet system. 5900X is a beast when in the 200w range. Tuning is pretty simple, not much to it really.

Yes this is what I have been hearing is that you won't get any stuttering with X3D and especially in VR, iRacing, ACC & FS 2020 it is a beast. I'll keep the X3D and get a 6900XT and then upgrade the to 7900XT when funds permit. I also want to upgrade to Honey Comb yoke & throttle from the Logitech/Saitek...

Back