• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5820k OC tips/advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

I just built a new rig the other day and I'm slowly getting into clocking it. It's been a few years since I've done any clocking plus this chip has a lot more to it than my previous ones.

I have slowly worked my way up to 4.1g on 1.11 vcore and it's an hour stable on real bench, but in games it crashes. It even did this at lower clocks. I still need to game some more at default settings to see if it's the setup in general or the overclocking, but I thought it would be good to have some places to look. I found that 1.9 line volt to the cpu helped me stabilize it along the way so stuff like that would help. I'm keeping the memory down at 2166 and the cache at 3300 right now, I just want to push the multiplier and find it's limit then back off before I change anything else.

CPU: I7 5820k
HSF: Swiftech H220x
MB: ASrock X99 Extreme4
RAM: Crucial Vengence 2400 DDR4 32g (8x4g)
GPU: 2x Sapphire 4gb Nittro R9 380
SSD: samsung sm951 non-nvme 120g M.2
SSD: Crucial 240g
PSU: Antec Edge 750w

Last edited:
OP
P

Psittac

I really can't seam to get a handle on this chip. I can stay on 1.11 vcore at 3.8g 8hr real bench stable, and 4.1g on realbench stable, then crash in The Division. I can go 3.5g on 1.11 vcore with speed step turned off and real bench stable and game stable, but I can't load windows at all 3.6g at 1.11 vcore speed step disabled. There are just so many different things to tweak one at a time that I'm having a very hard time finding a good process. When I started clocking, my Athlon XP-M was straight forward. Set multiplier and slowly increase fsb, if unstable add vcore or ram voltage. Then start over with low fsb and add a multiplier and see how high you can get with fsb. In the end you know where your cpu maxes out and where your ram maxes out at various cpu loads, add timings to make things interesting. With this thing I have no idea where to start. edit: and I am whole heartedly against throwing numbers that "should" work at it. If you don't start low and work up you are missing out on great results. With my athlon I could throw a "good" setup at it and it would fail, because I didn't work my way into it. I need a method to work into my clock.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Try setting Vcore at 1.2, If not stable increase slowly till the point its stable, I dont know what is the max voltage for the CPU so i would suggest not going above 1.4.

Oh, If you crash in games try stresstesting both CPU and GPU at the same time, If you crash or fail then up the Vcore. Its probably caused because you dont have enough voltage going to your CPU cause the GPU is taking part of it.

Last edited:

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
Most 5820K need ~1.15-1.20V for 4.2GHz. On ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard I would set cache clock at no more than 3.5GHz. It should work at auto voltages.
4.5GHz is usually possible at 1.25-1.35V if voltage is stable but sometimes 1.4V is required. However I wouldn't set more than 1.25V for 24/7 work ( simply no point to heat up CPU when it's already fast enough ).
Load Line Calibration is affecting voltage under load so check if it's set to 1 ( or whatever is the highest ). When it's at auto then under load voltage will drop and may cause instability.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Try setting Vcore at 1.2, If not stable increase slowly till the point its stable, I dont know what is the max voltage for the CPU so i would suggest not going above 1.4.

Oh, If you crash in games try stresstesting both CPU and GPU at the same time, If you crash or fail then up the Vcore. Its probably caused because you dont have enough voltage going to your CPU cause the GPU is taking part of it.
If you are testing two things at the same time, how would you know which is unstable?? Proper troubleshooting should test for one thing really. Then move on to the next. Testing both the CPU and GPU at the same time really doesn't isolate anything at all.
I don't think your 750 W power supply is up to the challenge for driving 2 R9 380 and an overclocked 5820K.
I do. Particularly at stock clocks on the GPUs...

I have a 5820K and overclocked it to 4.7GHz. I did that with a R9 295 (2 290x's or a 500W TDP)... When I overclocked BOTH the card to its limit, and the CPU (4.7Ghz), I peaked around 850W AT THE WALL. With a 90% efficient PSU, that put me around 765W. At stock GPU and overclocked CPU, I reached around 650W at the wall. ;)

He isn't making massive changes... 1.1V is really stock voltage... so I highly doubt the CPU is breaking the TDP even. ;)

PSU also reviewed pretty well and output its full 12V cold and hot...

Anyway, OP - I would start over. Load defaults, disable spedstep/EIST/Cstates etc, adjust CPU multiplier to 4GHz and VCore to 1.2V and see if that boots (leaving memory alone). Overclocking INtel is a lot easier than most all AMDs. You shouldn't need to touch input voltage or any other voltage outside of Vcore at this small overclocks. I also wouldn't worry about the cache and anything else right now... as it just seems to muddy the waters.

Last edited:

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
I still think it's on the edge for the PSU...but I'm more conservative on that front. :D

For the OP, follow ED advice...also, make sure that the BCLK is at 100 MHz. I ran into weird issues with my 5820 K (different motherboard) when I tried overclocking at BCLK different than 100 MHz.

Also, verify your CPU voltage with CPU-Z.

OP
P

Psittac

Thank you all for the input, each bit of advice is helping

If you are testing two things at the same time, how would you know which is unstable?? Proper troubleshooting should test for one thing really. Then move on to the next. Testing both the CPU and GPU at the same time really doesn't isolate anything at all. I do. Particularly at stock clocks on the GPUs...

I have a 5820K and overclocked it to 4.7GHz. I did that with a R9 295 (2 290x's or a 500W TDP)... When I overclocked BOTH the card to its limit, and the CPU (4.7Ghz), I peaked around 850W AT THE WALL. With a 90% efficient PSU, that put me around 765W. At stock GPU and overclocked CPU, I reached around 650W at the wall. ;)

He isn't making massive changes... 1.1V is really stock voltage... so I highly doubt the CPU is breaking the TDP even. ;)

PSU also reviewed pretty well and output its full 12V cold and hot...

Anyway, OP - I would start over. Load defaults, disable spedstep/EIST/Cstates etc, adjust CPU multiplier to 4GHz and VCore to 1.2V and see if that boots (leaving memory alone). Overclocking INtel is a lot easier than most all AMDs. You shouldn't need to touch input voltage or any other voltage outside of Vcore at this small overclocks. I also wouldn't worry about the cache and anything else right now... as it just seems to muddy the waters.

I would agree that the PSU is adequate, I have used antec on all but one build since I started in the hobby because I was told early on that they truly deliver what they claim. Maybe the day's of wildly poor claims are over with the certification system though. Also I agree with the idea of loading up cpu and gpu at times, that way I know the computer at full load is stable, but only for complete stability. If I have an issue then I can test individual components to find what the issue is and fix it. Currently I ran 2-3hrs realbench and heaven stable 3.8g 1.2vcore 2400mhz ram 3300 cache and speed step enabled. For some reason turning speed step off makes my system not post at low overclocks with everything else set the same as a speed step clock. I plan on upping the speed 100mhz a day and stability testing over night, I don't like jumping into a clock. When I find the max cpu then I'll start over with stock speeds and change something else and boost the speed again, though I'll move faster since I know the chip a little better. Also I have gone to one gpu for testing because it was causing issues with the division and I wanted to take that out of the equation.

Again thank you all for the advice, it has helped me focus on a method.

OP
P

Psittac

I don't think your 750 W power supply is up to the challenge for driving 2 R9 380 and an overclocked 5820K.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=421F760D-5247-4A25-BA5D-74A7A3139CD7&lang=eng

On the "Specification" tab, it has a power draw of 225W. Under "System Requirement", it recommends using an 850 W Power Supply for a CrossFireX system.

Do you have a larger power supply you could try?

I reused this PSU from my last build, I had to buy a friend a PSU for his machine and figured that I would get a better one for mine and give him my corsair. So since the rebuild was a last minute decision, I wasn't really thinking about running two cards. I might still get a higher power PSU since my last rig will need one to run.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
If you do get another PSU, grab an EVGA Supernova G2 850W. You certainly don;t need any more than that!