• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5820K overheating with H100i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

so, i have a 5820K and H100i and it is clocked to 4.3ghz and voltage goung netween 1.1v and 1.2v. with this oc it is like 55c idle and i have to stop burn test after 10 sec cause it reaching 85c :( i have tried using canned air on the radiator and im pretty sure the pump works normal. the fans are good aswell. is this chip a bad heatblaster or am i missing something ?

OP
P

peugot

i figured, but the unit is indeed working properly :S should maybe try to demount and paste it up to be sure but what cooler is best closed system nowadays if i need a new tho?

Brando

i would re mount and make sure the paste is spread right with the proper amount. use hwmonitor and look for the fan speed section. it should show the pump as a fan with 1500rmp or so. at least it did with my h90. you should be around 35c at idle and maybe 75 at load give or take.

OP
P

peugot

i would re mount and make sure the paste is spread right with the proper amount. use hwmonitor and look for the fan speed section. it should show the pump as a fan with 1500rmp or so. at least it did with my h90. you should be around 35c at idle and maybe 75 at load give or take.

my pump is reporting 2253 rpm , fans running aprox 1900 each and temp as 44-46c. so applying new paste maybe ? this unit was on a 3820 before so i may have ****ed up the paste when changing to 5820k?

87dtna

I bet it's just not seated against the CPU well.

I ran 4.5ghz with a 5820k at ~1.25v for months on a hyper 212 evo and temps were like 35-40c idle and ~80c full load.

wingman99

Check the block mount with hand pressure also if it will move around while testing the temperature.

Tech Tweaker

Incorrect info for this pump I'm afraid. The H100i pump usually should be around 2200-2300RPM. I have one in my PC and that's the way it's been since I bought it.

The H55/H75/H90 had lower pump speeds, and a different pump I believe. I also own an H75, it's usually between 1400-1600 RPM.

This aside, 55°C seems way too high for an idle temperature. I'd only expect that if I had a heat sink just sitting loose on top of a CPU (not mounted by screws and brackets), with no fan to cool it. I agree with the others, you've probably got a bad mount for some reason and the block/cold plate isn't making full contact with the CPU.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
It could be the mount...could also be poor airflow on the case.

Are you also running a graphics cards with an ACC style cooler (versus a blower style)?

Alaric

my pump is reporting 2253 rpm , fans running aprox 1900 each and temp as 44-46c. so applying new paste maybe ? this unit was on a 3820 before so i may have ****ed up the paste when changing to 5820k?

You cleaned off the old paste and applied new, right? Probably a silly question but those are the ones that inevitably come back to bite me. LOL Besides, somebody had to ask and it was my turn. :)

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I have cryorig A80 which is about the same as H100i and temps at 1.2V are about 30-35C idle and up to 70+ under load and that's at lower speed fans ( 700-800 rpm or something ) with rad at front. I have 2x AIO in the case ( GPU AIO is on top of the case ) and single fan as exhaust so airflow isn't the best but good enough.

cdawall

Which standoffs are you using for the cpu socket? I have found it to be typical for the incorrect ones used (amd ones) leading to this issue when the pump works fine.

OP
P

peugot

airflow is good, and this is the right bracket because i just swapped mb and cpu without changing anything on the pump/bracket(i had 2011socket 3820 before). both my gpus are blower style :O and yes i cleaned the old off. i too think this is probably just a bad mount so i will try to apply new when i get time! tnx ppl :)

OP
P

peugot

thats right, the unit was bad. tried to change the thermal paste to E1, still bad as ****. also tried it on my other pc just to be sure and same there. so now i have the H110i GT and temps after oc are 70 under full load and idle at 28-30. tnx for the replys :)

Brando

that's why i like having a big hunk of metal on the cpu. the fan can die but it will still cool and have some kind of cross flow from the other case fans. just an opinion.