• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5820K vs 5930K - Gaming performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cool, so your all set then,

post some pics of the build, gotta see this come together.

how's your benching going ?

One question.

I have become very use to having to feed me PCI-e lanes with more power for CFX setups.

The X99S Sli plus, does not support have this. Why not?

Not with certainty, however logic tells me that the board can handle that amount of power going to the slots.

Hmm, I just haven't had a board without it since my Asus P6X5D-E, and most the other x99's have it. But oh well. Its ordered now.

My z87 board had an extra power Molex but it was blocked by my psu so it didn't get used much, ran the same with or without it. My x99 deluxe doesn't seem to have an extra power port either, again running fine. And 290s don't exactly sip power.

It only comes into to play if you are really pounding on multi GPU set up's

By this he means that you're pulling more wattage than the PCIe connectors from your PSU can supply to the GPU, causing it to pull from the motherboard.
And the PCIe slots on the motherboard are rated up to 75W each.

So you'd need to pull some SERIOUS power to even need extra power to the board.

By this he means that you're pulling more wattage than the PCIe connectors from your PSU can supply to the GPU, causing it to pull from the motherboard.
And the PCIe slots on the motherboard are rated up to 75W each.

So you'd need to pull some SERIOUS power to even need extra power to the board.

I like to think my trio of 7970's with 6gb use more power than the average 7970 card. I figured there must be a reason it needs 2x 6+2 connectors. But we shall see when i stick the OC bios from the Toxic on them again. Hopefully this new setup will help out with some of the cooling problems I had on them (GPU fine, VRM a bit hot, power section [LED monitoered] always booming at max)

But i know i'll have a hard time getting to the 350watts that have been tested, never the less, it is a power hungry trio.

Last edited:
If you were having vrm temp problems with waterblocks, i can think of worse ways to spend ten bucks than on fujipoly thermal pads to replace the stock stuff. Not sure how good the stuff from heatkiller blocks is, but the fujipoly beat the ek thermal pads that came with my blocks by 8-10c. Also, the vrms are the heat source of the power section.

If you were having vrm temp problems with waterblocks, i can think of worse ways to spend ten bucks than on fujipoly thermal pads to replace the stock stuff. Not sure how good the stuff from heatkiller blocks is, but the fujipoly beat the ek thermal pads that came with my blocks by 8-10c. Also, the vrms are the heat source of the power section.

The heatkill is GPU only, since there is no full cover. The VRMs have copper heatsinks, but yes, the power section down the other end of the GPU, is a heat monster, but soon as it gets some air flow all is fine.

This or get a PLX board like he is considering in his other thread (I want to merge the threads since this is essentially the same discussion).....

I know I'm late to the party, BUT!

The latency the PLX gives really slows down multi-GPUs (SLI/CFX) setup. Just get a CPU with more lanes. Don't rely on the PLX chip to switch back and forth between lanes.

LOL, yeah, 5 months ago!!!

Yes, there is a minor hit on that, I am aware and was at the time. A CPU is the best way to do it, but the difference between the two is just about negligible with the latest PLX implementation. It fits somewhere between the native CPU lanes, and 8x/8x (which is 1-2% at most). So, about negligible. If he was benchmarking competitively, I would say go CPU. If he wasn't a PLX implementation is fine and saves $200.

EDIT: From 2012, but, you should get the point (this isn't the NF200 days when you last posted here. ;)) - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6170/...747-featuring-gigabyte-asrock-ecs-and-evga/26

Back