• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$59 Chaintec/CPU combo...overclockable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NO LIFE

I have been looking at this this mobo/cpu combo for quite a while. Im going to put it in an old gateway which I managed to get a g3 for. I have it networked with my good computer and I want the old gateway to be able to play newer games like BF 1942. The processor is whats really hurting me. The gateway has a p2 450 right now that I cant overclock. This explains why I would want this new mobo/cpu combo. What I was wondering was if I could overclock the new combo Im gonna get. I went to the chaintec site and downloaded the manual to the motherboard but Im still not sure If it will allow me to change around multipiers and FSB like I want to do.

Also I have never worked with Duron CPU's b4 so If anyone could give me some usueful info on them that would be extrememly helpful (such a unlocking it, cooling, etc...).

I also have two sticks of 512mb PC133 RAM lined up to go along with it. But when I was browsing yesterday I found another cpu/mobo combo that supported DDR PC2100 RAM, so I was wondering if one stick of 256mb cp2100 would be as fast as 1gig of pc133 RAM??

Thnaks a bunch in advance!!:D
Justin

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
What OS are you planning upon using? THat much ram won't sit well with 98 or ME, for example.

Generally, you won't have use for 1GB of PC133 unless you're doing heavy computations, such as fluid mechanics. SO as far as that's concerned, I would recommend the DDR.

Also, you need to check the rating of the PSU in the gateway. AFAIK, they don't use anything proprietary, so you should be able to reuse it so long as it provides enough power. -- Paul

toastedzergling

I haven't never used Chaintech mobo before but I think there won't be much or even any overclocking options, for $59 that's a good deal on a CPU, Mobo, Fan combo but 900Mhz Duron or even the whole Duron line has become history, if you are willing to throw in some extra dough then you should get an Athlon XP1600+, ECS K7S5A for about $120,

macklin01

Wow, those are both remarkable prices. I guess I'd also look at the total cost of the upgrade.

Duron option: you get to use your existing RAM and can probably get away with the existing PSU. (Or maybe not -- it may not be ATX.)

XP Option: you'll definitely need new ram, as well as a new PSU. So it's the other cost + $30 + RAM price. So, maybe $120 more, assuming you need a new PSU for both options.

-- Paul

OP
N

NO LIFE

Im going to build another system over the ThanksGiving break (I hope). So the XP option is too expensive. I went for the cheapest stuff possible. The gateway has a 200w PSU that has been replaced recently so that should be good for the duron option (i only have one drive on it too so not much spins up). The ram it had is one stick of 128mb pc100 ram which isnt good enough. Its gonna be running on win 98 so u dont think 1gig of pc133 with mix with it good? If so then would 512mb be ok??(if i do go for 512 would 1 stick of 512 or 2 sticks of 256 be better?)

If anyone knows someone trying to get rid of XP stuff then gimme a shout...I dont want to spend much more than 80-90 dollars.

Does anyone know about overclocking a duron or even if its possible with this mobo??

Thanks Again!
Justin

Ugmore Baggage

mobo combos are designed to be cheap, not to satisfy your overclocking urges LOL. If it does I'll happily stand corrected, but imo it's more likely to start smoking than allow a 5% OC.

Something's gotta give on a board that costs little more the CPU that's on it and I doubt BIOS allows more than setting the boot device order.

macklin01

Sounds about right to me.

With 98, 256MB is pretty much the sweet spot, and 512MB is the max. As for how many sticks, generally, one stick is more stable than two, although at stock speeds, both are good.

Probably the bigger factor there is whether or not the mobo and chipset supports 512MB single sticks. Intel 815* chipsets, for example, only support 256MB / slot, with a 512MB total max.

So, I'd consult your (potential) mobo manual before making a decision on RAM. -- Paul