• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5930k overclock unstable after adding second graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toran0x

Hey guys. I've had (what seemed to be) a pretty stable overclock going.

125x base clock @ 4.37, 1.18 voltage, .15 SA voltage, XMP Profile for 3000mhz memory, 4ghz uncore/cache. Now that I added another card, things have been freezing and booting doesn't always work (tells me to set bios to optimal defaults bc of a boot failure).

SO, I'm wondering where to look first. I assume a bump in CPU voltage would be good and a small bump in SA voltage. Wondering if I need to bump RING voltage or VRIN also? Both are set to auto right now. I also have the option of adjusting the VL1-VL6 voltages.

Thoughts?

Any ideas? I dropped to 4.25, 1.2 vcore, .35 SA, and 1.15 RING now. Issue always seems to be boot. Haven't had a crash in Windows yet or while gaming.

Here's my current hwmonitor with these settings. View attachment HWMonitor.txt

A second card should not be a factor in the CPU overclock

take it back out and confirm it is not a quncidance

if it all checks out your power supply may be not functioning properly as it has plenty of Amps

A second card should not be a factor in the CPU overclock

take it back out and confirm it is not a quncidance

if it all checks out your power supply may be not functioning properly as it has plenty of Amps

Hmm. I've read in a bunch of places that adding another card can destabilize OCs. I should also clarify that the settings in my previous post are new - will see how they fare.

How do I test if my power supply is not functioning correctly?

Last edited:
Never has for me personally, but that is not to say it couldn't be a factor ?

Does the the board have a molex or 6 pin for additional power for multi card set up ? , if so worth a try

The easiest way to test a power solution is to try another one that is know to operate properly

I think first I'm going to reset my CMOS and start the OC from scratch.

EDIT: The numbers below are all wrong. BIOS confirmed all voltages are fine and stable. So, seems to be no issues there.
---

Also, I was looking at the HWmonitor I posted - my 12v is at 4.22 volts, which seems really low. I don't see how these numbers can be remotely accurate.

Hardware monitor ITE IT8620
Voltage 0 1.20 Volts [0x64] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 2.48 Volts [0xCF] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 1.99 Volts [0xA6] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 3.37 Volts [0xA7] (+5V)
Voltage 4 4.22 Volts [0x58] (+12V)
Voltage 5 -4.22 Volts [0x58] (-12V)
Voltage 6 -9.94 Volts [0xCF] (-5V)
Voltage 7 2.86 Volts [0x8E] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage 8 1.52 Volts [0x7F] (VBAT)

A few things could be going on here:
- The new GPU could be defective - pulling too much power
- The PSU could be defective
- HWMonitor could be reading the voltages wrong

Looks like I have some testing to do.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I've had (what seemed to be) a pretty stable overclock going.

125x base clock @ 4.37, 1.18 voltage, .15 SA voltage, XMP Profile for 3000mhz memory, 4ghz uncore/cache. Now that I added another card, things have been freezing and booting doesn't always work (tells me to set bios to optimal defaults bc of a boot failure).

SO, I'm wondering where to look first. I assume a bump in CPU voltage would be good and a small bump in SA voltage. Wondering if I need to bump RING voltage or VRIN also? Both are set to auto right now. I also have the option of adjusting the VL1-VL6 voltages.

Thoughts?

4 GHz cache/uncore clock speed could be it. The best I could ever get was around 3.7 GHz and that wasn't stable.

Does your motherboard have the x99 overclocking socket?

4 GHz cache/uncore clock speed could be it. The best I could ever get was around 3.7 GHz and that wasn't stable.

Does your motherboard have the x99 overclocking socket?

Hey Magellan - thanks for the reply. Yes my mobo has it and enables the VL1-VL6 voltages if that's what you mean. It also has the extra CPU pins available (I think that's what you meant actually). I will check the uncore and bring that down to earth a little.

UPDATE: Currently at 4.25 / 125 base clock / 1.21v / .25 SA / 1.10 RING -- when I dropped RING to auto, I had boot issues - bringing to 1.10 remedies that. Gonna try this during some gaming sessions to see how it fares and also through some cold boots. Ultimately I want to bring down voltages as low as possible as this will be my 24/7 overclock.

Last edited:
Back