• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5950x incoming....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Maan, I knew I should have never come back to this site. Its like sticking a needle in your arm. I just bought a AMD 4th gen 5950X from Amazon for $1300. My mobo is Asus 570X-E Strix. I have 32Gb of Gskil 3600 Cl14 coming too.

Q. Will I need to update my bios? I have V. 1409

Q. Will my AMD Prizim Wraith cooler handle it? It has the same TDP 105w as my current 3800X. I know, I know, it has twice the cores but the same heat wattage.

The description for the specs say its rated for 3200Mz ram. I wonder if the new Infinity firmware update that's coming from AMD at the end of this month will allow it to run at 3600Mz?

Any help is greatly appreciated. The best hardware website ever. OCF has definitely opened the door to my hardware addiction...;)

$1300? I hope that was Canadian?

You will need to update your bios by the looks of it. Double check on the ASUS website but I think you need 3001 or later.

Ram speeds with zen3 can go upto 3800 maybe higher. 3600 is the sweet spot I would say for performance vs cost vs effort.

As for the cooler. It will work. I just wouldn’t really recommend it if you are running core heavy work loads for long periods of time.

I would get a better cooler as stock AMD one is not even good for stock Ryzens (even those which have it in a box). Higher CPUs don't have coolers simply because for optimal work you need something better and somehow AMD or couldn't or didn't want to deliver anything better. Even though it looks "just right" then the CPU under any load is lowering its clock when it reaches a temp limit so it never overheats... simply runs slower than expected.
At auto settings, Ryzen 5900/5950X has 140-150W max. It's already more than the stock cooler can handle. However, the way how heat is spreading causes that you need 200W+ cooler to run without throttling or at least significant performance drops. When you remove power limits then it will heat up like Intel's 10900K about which all are complaining. If you care about optimal performance and quiet work then get something like Noctua NH-D15/S or good brand 280/360 AIO.

$1300? Wow... its a $750 CPU.. :(

You will likely need to update the bios... yes. Look at your board's website and see where it notes a microde update for new cpus.. certainly a couple months back. Update to the latest version.

As far as the ram...it will ready run at 3600. You just need to enable xmp/docp (or set them manually) to reach those speeds. That process has been the same for several generations. :)

About $1150 Canadian is MSRP up north of the boarder ..... https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=5950. So if you got one for 1300 Canadian you did well US$ .... not so much but they are hard to find. I had one in my cart ready to buy on launch day till I seen Extreme PC had added a $350 sir charge because I wasn't buying a complete system. I would have been pee'd off had I not noticed but considering how hard it is to find one now maybe not so much.

OP......
Update your bios prior to installing it and update all your monitoring software as well. You might want to look at better cooling before too long to get the most out of that beast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, my friends it was as still is $1300. $1299 from Amazon plus WA state tax so extra $109 on top. Newegg is the cheaper but they are OOS...always. I could not find it anywhere else. Seems like the top shelf stuff from Newegg is shipped from China. Amazon will have it at my door on Thur. i am building 2 PCs for my church and bought the mobos from newegg, and they are shipping from China, so I have a month to wait. I did not want to watch the egg like a hawk everyday and then get beat out by the abundant bots that are harvesting premium parts and then....have to keep waiting and looking. The new tariffs have kicked in and the prices are skyrocketing. I felt fortunate to buy one at all. I want a 3900 but $3k? Sucvks right now to get get prices or even get what you want. With this chip Ill be good for years. Besides I have 2 good paying jobs. :)

I will also get a water loop. Thinking Kraken

The motherboards ship from China if you bought from a 3rd party seller on Newegg. Otherwise they come from their distribution centers in the states.

I always make sure I check newegg as the seller amd shipper.

I bought this last night for cooling this beast. MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R - AIO RGB CPU Liquid Cooler - Rotating Cap Design - 360mm Radiator - Triple 120mm RGB PWM Fans. Looks like I have to remove the mobo completely in order to install the AM4 adapter.

I also have Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut coming as well.

And I updated my bios last night too. Asus EzUpdate tool works great! Asus just dropped a new bios on Jan. 4th. It has infinity fabric update and a new feature I have never seen before that if you enable it, the OS will allow you to use your graphics card full memory. Hunh? I thought that was already happening. I can take a screen shot if anyone makes a request.

I am verry excited to have these upgrades!!

And I updated my bios last night too. Asus EzUpdate tool works great! Asus just dropped a new bios on Jan. 4th. It has infinity fabric update and a new feature I have never seen before that if you enable it, the OS will allow you to use your graphics card full memory. Hunh? I thought that was already happening. I can take a screen shot if anyone makes a request.

Is this the "SAM" (?) feature that is for Ryzen 5xxx chips and 6xxx graphics cards?

What are your temps on that cooler? idle and load?

If you keep the CPU at auto settings then it won't ever pass 90°C. I assume that 5950X will heat up about the same as 5900X, and on my 5900X and NH-D15/D15S (I tested both versions) there is ~80°C and nothing more. Auto clock/voltage adjustment is keeping my CPU at this temp.
Don't look at idle temps as Ryzen 5000 goes into low power mode without load and Noctua NH-D15 can spin the fan as low as 300RPM so it will give higher temps than expected but still around ~30°C (in a typical room temp around 22°C).

On worse coolers, temps won't be much different ... but CPU's clock will be lower under full load. I was testing NH-D9S so a much smaller cooler, and it was giving me ~82-84°C max but 200MHz lower clock under load and lower voltages at the same time.

Here is a screen shot of the new bios feature called Resize Bar. I have it enabled for my 2080 Super SLI config, will it benefit me or is it strictly for older cards like David suggests? 5k series CPUs? So it will benifit me when I install my 5950x?

Attachments

• 20210111_114239_copy_1612x1209.jpg
    20210111_114239_copy_1612x1209.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 230
This is for 5000 series CPUs and RDNA2/6000 series AMD GPUs (NV will have this soon as well - Im unsure of the scope) as David said. I'm not sure if it works on older video cards.

This going into my system tomorrow. My CL14 3600mhz 32Gb Gskill is coming tomorrow as well.

Attachments

• 5950X .jpg
    5950X .jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 211
My grizzly kyronaut is delayed until the 23rd. I have on hand Artic MX-4. Will it be worth it to wait until my Grizzly comes in or use the MX-4?

Q. The throttle temps on 5000 series Ryzen is 90c? Is that right?

Back