• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5970 eyefinity issues - Help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaym14

I have 3 24" monitors (2 gateways & 1 acer). 2 of them are plugged into the GC with dvi connectors and the other is plugged in using an apple minidisplay port to dvi active adapter. The issue I'm encountering is that for some reason both CCC & W7 are having trouble recognizing the monitor that is plugged into the adapter (tried all three with same result) and its showing up as "non Plug and play generic monitor". Because of this it will not allow my eyefinity group (or that individual monitor) to achieve its native resolution of 5760X1200 & 1920X1200 respectively. The perplexing thing is that when I initially installed everything it worked perfectly and defaulted immediately to 5760X1200 and recognized each display. Then after I attempted to play with some settings, the system crashed and now I'm unable to achieve any resolution greater than 4800X1200 and 2/3 of the monitors will not run at their native resolutions. I'm not sure if this is a driver issue, hardware issue, or some combination of the two. I'm running windows 7 64 professional btw. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

well I managed to make some progess and might have gotten it working.... going to test in a few...........

well good news guys, I got it working and I can offer some insight to those of us lucky enough to own the worlds most powerful graphics card (for the moment at least :D).

Here's a few things that I'm sure some of you out there will need to know.....

1. The Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (active) works with the 5970 (which has a mini displayport). This is an active (powered by USB) which can be readily found through Apple's web sites & stores for 99$ US dollars. I got lucky and got mine on EBAY for 55$ US :clap:

2. It is important to install your monitors in 2 steps. The issues I encountered were caused because I plugged all three monitors in at the same time and tried to configure from there. You MUST plug in one monitor first ( I recommend plugging in the center monitor first and using the monitor on the display port.). With the one monitor plugged in, start your computer and open CCC. Now plug in your other 2 monitors and make sure that CCC sees them (you might have to hit detect). Now right click on each of the two new monitors' icon's and hit "extend". Next you can go ahead and create your eyefinity group. Once complete, I recommend saving a profile in CCC.

3. Create 2 profiles in CCC for rapid switching between multiple monitors and single monitor set ups.

Hopefully this helps some of you with this new technology.

Last edited:
Hi Jay,

I have had similar issues to you with 5970, and after alot of messing around, I am still not up and running with Eyefinity. Have installed CCC 9.12, etc.

I am not using an active adapter of any kind (yet) because my Dell U2410 monitors all have native DP input. I have used the Sapphire-supplied mini DP to DP adapter cable work to make a fully DP link to the monitors, but it still wont work... CCC identifies the DP connected monitor, but it only shows up in black and white (!) even though I know the monitor's color is working. Even more interesting, when I start up I can see the Windows 7 splash screen come up on the DP connected monitor (in color!) just before everything goes black and white on that monitor when I hit the logon screen. Making me think this could be a Windows problem with DP ports, and not necessarily a 5970 problem? Not sure.

In any case I have been told that and "active mini DP to DP" adapter does not exist (and why should it! why should DP have to adapted to itself!) so that is out. Any ideas? Comments? Abuse? Happy to hear anything at this point...

So close but yet so far to experiencing Eyefinity... now in Crossfire even!

Hi JayM14 your two step monitor hookup process worked for me and I got Eyefinity running for the first time. However, two issues still remain. The MiniDP connected monitor is only black and white no matter what I do - no color. Also, even though I installed the hotfix for 9.12, I still cannot make Crossfire work with Eyefinity. Any thoughts appreciated.

The MiniDP connected monitor is only black and white no matter what I do

Maybe the mini-dp connector needs replacing? I have three display port monitors as well and use the mini-dp connector on the middle one and it works fine. Not sure if some place like Frye's would carry that type of connector, but I'd suggest trying another one to make sure.

well good news guys, I got it working and I can offer some insight to those of us lucky enough to own the worlds most powerful graphics card (for the moment at least :D).

Here's a few things that I'm sure some of you out there will need to know.....

1. The Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (active) works with the 5970 (which has a mini displayport). This is an active (powered by USB) which can be readily found through Apple's web sites & stores for 99$ US dollars. I got lucky and got mine on EBAY for 55$ US :clap:

2. It is important to install your monitors in 2 steps. The issues I encountered were caused because I plugged all three monitors in at the same time and tried to configure from there. You MUST plug in one monitor first ( I recommend plugging in the center monitor first and using the monitor on the display port.). With the one monitor plugged in, start your computer and open CCC. Now plug in your other 2 monitors and make sure that CCC sees them (you might have to hit detect). Now right click on each of the two new monitors' icon's and hit "extend". Next you can go ahead and create your eyefinity group. Once complete, I recommend saving a profile in CCC.

3. Create 2 profiles in CCC for rapid switching between multiple monitors and single monitor set ups.

Hopefully this helps some of you with this new technology.

Damn I'm having the same issue on my 6950 and I have the latest ATI/CCC drivers. I'm using 2x DVI. The 3rd monitor I'm using the MiniDP to DP, and then to a DVI (active) displayport adapter.

I tried your steps and no luck. I get the same thing on the mini DP monitor... detected as plug n play 1024x768 or 800x600 options only.

If I go from the mini DP to DP, and then to VGA, it works, but I get tearing and sometimes the display gets wiggly. Ideally, I want three digital eyefinity setup. I'm still having a hard time. :(

I'm on the latest drivers. How can you set up eyefinity with one monitor?? My problem is that the monitor with the MiniDP to DVI adapter has detection/resolution issues. This is just the windows desktop in general doesn't work correctly.

I finally got it to work with the mini dp to DVI (active) adapter, but I had to try another USB port (weird!!)... and I still have an issue...
Everytime I turn the computer off, or the monitors go into power save, that one monitor doesn't come back up.

What I have to do is unplug the USB (on the active minidp to dvi adapter) from the computer, then plug it back into the computer, and it works again.

What the heck? :(

Well eyefinity makes you disable all other monitors before starting an eyefinity group. It may work if you try that. I don't have my 5970 anymore and am back using my old 8600gts so I can't take a screenshot.

I have no idea how to fix the one monitor that doesn't start up however. It could be a bad adapter but I don't know.

Well eyefinity makes you disable all other monitors before starting an eyefinity group. It may work if you try that. I don't have my 5970 anymore and am back using my old 8600gts so I can't take a screenshot.

I have no idea how to fix the one monitor that doesn't start up however. It could be a bad adapter but I don't know.

I'm thinking of plugging it into a USB power adapter that plugs directly into the outlet... hmmm....

Back