• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5970 Idle Clocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelicPenguin

So I put my new 5970 in tonight and first thing I noticed was the windows 7 desktop flickers like crazy. I spend some time messing with the different connections (I thought it was a displayport issue after reading there were many), trying different drivers, and looking online for some pointers.

I find a similar issue with a 5850 (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=11153960&postcount=5164) and low and behold the clocks he mentioned are identical to what mine go down to. Running furmark which immediately brings the clocks up fixes the flickering right away.

So anyone know how to set idle clocks on the 5x series?

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
It's just idling down because you aren't running any 3D apps. They all do it.. Sounds like a driver issue to me. Guessing you pulled the latest drivers down from AMD's website?

sandyduff

Great Scot! Member
You can set the clocks using rivatuner... i had to do it with my 4870x2, it would refuse to bump up to 3D clock speeds... so i set the stock speed in rivatuner so the clock speeds never change... worked for me!!

OP
AngelicPenguin

AngelicPenguin

Sounds like a driver issue to me. Guessing you pulled the latest drivers down from AMD's website?

Ya it's a beta driver - probably why. This is the recommended Hemlock driver from ATI's site though.

You can set the clocks using rivatuner

I don't think any 5xxx series card is supported in RivaTuner :( because ya, I used that for the 4870x2 as well.

I did fix the problem for now, however by setting the 2D clocks of my memory in this file: C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles after creating a profile. I set the "Want_0" of MemoryClockTarget_0 to 101000 from 30000. This is the same setting it uses for 3D.

Anything lower than the 3D speed causes the flicker.

Guess it's some kind of switching issue with the memory? Hope it's not some sort of hardware problem.

The funny thing is, with only one screen, you don't see it. With multiple screens you do, but one of those screens will not be affected (currently my right screen never flickers.)

Guess I can RMA the card if over the next few months if updated drivers don't take care of it and in the meantime just use a hotkey for that profile when doing desktop work.

grunion

Registered
So I put my new 5970 in tonight and first thing I noticed was the windows 7 desktop flickers like crazy. I spend some time messing with the different connections (I thought it was a displayport issue after reading there were many), trying different drivers, and looking online for some pointers.

I find a similar issue with a 5850 (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=11153960&postcount=5164) and low and behold the clocks he mentioned are identical to what mine go down to. Running furmark which immediately brings the clocks up fixes the flickering right away.

So anyone know how to set idle clocks on the 5x series?

You can mod the bios, or go the easier route of creating a CCC profile with your desired speeds.

To create a profile:

Open CCC/Top right> options> Profiles> profiles manager> Create or edit a profile> save> Activate and close.

Next: C:Users> your name> appdata> local> ATI> Ace> profiles> your saved profile.

Copy and paste the xml file here. I haven't seen the 5970 file yet.

OP
AngelicPenguin

AngelicPenguin

Have you had any luck Angelic?

Sorry I missed this - I did something similar to what grunion said and that took care of it. Basically while in the desktop I leave my memory clock exactly what it is when gaming and its all fine.

Just an FYI it does the same thing if I INCREASE the clock speed as well. Fortunately there's no real advantage to overclocking the card at the desktop, so it's sort of moot. But it does go to show that it's not that the clock goes too low, it's just that the clock changes.