• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5V Mod for A7V8X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weasel

You may be the first to do it, I'm getting one this weekend and if you don't have it figured out by then I can post it. Just a matter of finding the right chips with a meter. I you have a meter you could locate them by youself. I can post a pic of where to check if you have a meter.

OP
JoJoMoJo

JoJoMoJo

hey, thanks but....I have more faith in you doing it :eek: first. Post the pictures Im looking rt at the mosfets but Ill wait till ya confirm everything went well.....:D

weasel

It's actually very simple, with the sys up and running, connect your black lead to gound (case chasis) ant then probe the center terminal of the mosfets with the red lead to find the one's with the +5v rail. Then just solder your wires to the ones that are +5v.
Not sure when I'll have mine done, may not do it right away but I could locate the right ones for you.

weasel

First I would check the +5v at the mosfets to see if you are getting a voltage drop there. It is possible that the readings come from around the atx plug and wont show the drop. If the voltage isn't dropping at the mosfets, it wouldn't be worth doing IMO. Check the voltage at the atx connector and at the masfets, I believe the manual shows the pinout of the atx plug, so you can find your 5v lines easier.

weasel

other questions, have you tried mbm? And are you using the newer ver of probe? I noticed a newer ver last time I was at the asus site, but it may be the one your using.

BTW- off topic, did you get the board with raid? Still trying to make up my mind on which one to get.

Last edited:
OP
JoJoMoJo

JoJoMoJo

ok ive checked the asus site but maybe im not just seeing it as I cant find the probe there. Im running 2.17.07 version is there one newer and if yes could someone shoot me a direct link?

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
I put a picture in this thread of which mosfet and where on it to put a dedicated +5V conductor. That will reduce the voltage drop occurring across the ATX connector. In the picture, I indicated that actual tab of the mosfet, but the center pin (the one that is clipped short) is the same connection if you'd rather solder to it. Good Luck

Hoot