• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6 A-RGB fans inside case for new build - how?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Faizy450

I'm building a new rig after 6-7 years and this A-RGB craze has got me confused with how to setup. Seems like there's no standard and every mobo vendor is different.

My mobo is the asus strix x570-f with 2 A-RGB headers and 2 chassis fan headers (can also use CPU_OPT and M.2_FAN). Each fan header is 1A max.

I plan to connect 6 PWM case fans - 3 in front, 2 top, 1 back. I'll need 3 Y-splitters to connect the fans so that's fine, a fan header can easily support 2 fans.

However I only have 2 A-RGB fans. I know A-RGB splitters exist but I can't for the life of me find out how many fans I could safely connect to 1 header. The header is rated at 3A/5V. Would I be safe getting 2 1 to 4 way splitters like this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-rgb-4-way-splitter-cable-wc-9ly-ek.html, connecting it to each header and connecting 3 fans to each? This would then leave 2 more slots for my GPU/CPU cooler and LED strips in the future.

Any advice is appreciated. For context I'd use either the case fans that come with the Phanteks P400A Digital, or the Lian-Li Bora's, or maybe corsair's ones.

Cheers.

First of all it depends on the fan, there are proprietary connectors on some fans. If you have the normal connectors, most people will use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MASTERFAN-Addressable-Lighting/dp/B0829QNBS2. If you want to control the speed of each fan or groups of fans, you'll need something a bit more complicated.

Most likely looking for non proprietary connectors just to keep things simple and flexible. Would like to have a hub where the lighting and fan curves can be controlled by the mobo in an entire group and it looks like that product you linked me is EXACTLY what I need.

Not available in UK though. This sucks. A lot.

View attachment 209327
View attachment 209328

I have the setup you are looking for in both of my builds at the moment.

Cooler master RGB 120mm fan (x5)
Phanteks PWM adaptor
XSPC RGB Splitter

The fans have a 4-pin RGB and a 3-pin fan connector each.

If you would like I could take pictures of the back for you. The splitters are very rare. So buy some quick if you can find them.

Forgot to mention the RGB is directly controlled through the motherboard, using aura sync.

The fan speed by the motherboard using PWM.
The phanteks controller converts pwm control into voltage control for 3pin fans.

Forgot to mention the RGB is directly controlled through the motherboard, using aura sync.

The fan speed by the motherboard using PWM.
The phanteks controller converts pwm control into voltage control for 3pin fans.

Thanks for that, that's pretty much almost what I need except I'm wondering if there's anything for A-RGBA? I've tried a quick search online and found this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-8-way-3-pin-5v-addressable-rgb-splitter-hub-black-wc-45v-xs.html but it's no longer being sold. There do seem to be plenty of RGB hub options, but not A-RGB sadly.

How are those fans by the way?

Also what case is this all in (the second build)?

EBay had the A-RGB splitters for £13.99. But I can no longer find them. There are some available in Germany but at £20+ with shipping included.

The fans are awesome can’t even hear them. I have them set to the silent profile. Using the asus software. I mostly hear the air they push rather than the actual fan. They don’t go above 800rpm.

However we are only playing games. Doing nothing strenuous. On a 1800x/GTX1080ti and 1700/GTX1070

Both builds are in the Fractal Core Define S.

This may be a couple of months late, but I have 6 x DeepCool CF120 in my current daily driver. When you buy one of their multi-packs or AIOs, it comes with both a power hub and A-RGB hub. I also like that these don't use proprietary connectors which I find very helpful. They're priced around the mid-range for A-RGB fans, but the quality is there, and the hubs are great added value.

Most likely looking for non proprietary connectors just to keep things simple and flexible. Would like to have a hub where the lighting and fan curves can be controlled by the mobo in an entire group and it looks like that product you linked me is EXACTLY what I need.

Back