• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6 GPU Folding Rig Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Well, I've got almost all the components together, so I guess it is time for my build thread.

case1.jpg

The case box is long and narrow.

case2.jpg

Even then, there was still a fair amount open space in the box.

case3.jpg

But the parts are nice quality, well packed and identified.

case4.jpg

They even put in nice couterbores before anodizing them.

case5.jpg

The instructions are a little sparse, but easy to read.

The only real glitch so far is the fact that the stand-offs don't line up with the motherboard I've gotten (once it won't auto-merge, I'll post that picture), and I'll need to drill and tap a few holes On the plus side, I've already got the right M3 tap in my metric tap set, so I can do that tomorrow.

Well, of the 9 holes for the motherboard, only 4 of them line up with matching holes on the case. Of the other 5, 3 of them I can't drill and tap since they would go through a case mounting screw.

I think I'll drill and tap for the 2 I can, and then grind off the threads for the stand-offs on the other 3. They'll provide support, but I should have enough grounding through the other 6.

Edit: Weird, this never posted.

Anyway, I had to tap one location twice, but 6 holes are now working, and I ground the remaining 3 stand-offs so the MB is now properly supported.

case10.jpg

And the memory and HSFs are installed.

case11.jpg

Now I need to figure out which Linux ISO I need for my OS and how to set it up.

I can use the PSU I've got for the previous rig until the new 1.6KW EVGA PSUs arrive.

Could you have slide a nut in the bars with a washer and screw the standoff in that? Those bars look like they have channels in them to slide a nut.

I'm not seeing any differences from the motherboard manual pictures:

Could you point it out?

Look at your top picture...look at the VRMs for each socket. ONE has a heatsink on it, the other doesn't! From the website/your link above, neither have a heatsink on them, however.

But yeah, your board clearly has a heatsink on one set of VRMs but not the other is the difference. If it's supposed to come with none or both, no idea. If that processor without the VRM heatsink starts to throttle, you may want to get a heatsink on it too.

EDIT: ...though zooming in on the images, that top socket has holes for a VRM heatsink while the second socket does not appear to. Weird........

Last edited:
Ok, I'm seeing it now. Sorry, short break and a migraine probably had an effect on my perception.

I'm guessing the difference is in location. The bank with the HS on it is near the IO panel, and they may have decided there wasn't enough airflow there, but on the other side of the MB it was likely to be a lot more open and not really in need of the HS for that bank.

I'll see if I can find some other online pics of the MB and see if that is normal.

Edit: Yeah, in stock photos, I don't see a HS on either bank, but the one near the IO does have holes in the MB for it. And for actual photos for places like Ebay, I'm seing the one HS, but not one in the other posistion. I guess this is normal for this board then.

Thanks to both of you for attention to detail and caution for helping avoid damaging my hardware.

If I notice problems down the road, I'll probably try and get the paste on HS for each chip in that bank.

Thank again!

Are your CPU heatsinks similar to stock config or does a stock config heatsink/fan blow down toward the board? If the normal config is downward I would put a heatsink on that #2 VRM now instead of waiting. That VRM is kind of shielded from airflow with that style heatsink/fan (IMO).

That's pretty normal for a supermicro--remember this is designed for a blow-through rackmount application. Should be chilled ambient hitting those front VRMs with nothing interfering with it in a normal application. Put some sticky heatsinks on them if you're worried, otherwise, just have airflow on them. Should be fine especially if you're not pushing the CPUs and just using them as PCIe root ports.

Finally getting off my rear and getting this up and running today. 2 GPUs to start and only one PSU. Ubuntu desktop.

And of course the PSU in the old system has only 1 8pin MB power connector and the MB requires 2. I guess I'm going to have to wait for the EVGA units to arrive.

Plus, the spot I had planned to put the new system won't fit. I've got to figure something else out.

Well, the EVGA PSU didn't work. With some testing and help from @ihrsetrdr it turns out that it needs 4 power cables plugged into to turn on. The 24pin, the two 8pin, and the one 4pin motherboard power cables are all required for it to turn on. So, now it is working. Ubuntu is installed, but I'm having issues with getting FAH working.

But here it is:

6gpu.jpg

My current question is that the PCI-E x8 to x16 adapters hit a heatsink for 2 of the slots. Does anybody think there are any issues with cutting the tab off that the arrow points to?

It doesn't look like there are any traces that would connect to that tab, so I think I could sand the tab down so it won't hit.

8to16.jpg

Well, the EVGA PSU didn't work. With some testing and help from @ihrsetrdr it turns out that it needs 4 power cables plugged into to turn on. The 24pin, the two 8pin, and the one 4pin motherboard power cables are all required for it to turn on. So, now it is working. Ubuntu is installed, but I'm having issues with getting FAH working.

But here it is:

View attachment 357853

My current question is that the PCI-E x8 to x16 adapters hit a heatsink for 2 of the slots. Does anybody think there are any issues with cutting the tab off that the arrow points to?

It doesn't look like there are any traces that would connect to that tab, so I think I could sand the tab down so it won't hit.

View attachment 357854
I don't think it will make any difference, that thing looks so light it won't sag...Does the cable put any pressure on it?

For your 2nd, 3rd and maby 4th PSU, you can use Dr. Power to turn on the other PSU's, just plug in the 24 pin cable to Dr. Power and the PCIe cables to the GPU's.
The Dr. Power has a power button to turn the PSU on.

Back