• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6 GPU Folding Rig Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The CPUs

cpua.jpg

Motherboard

mb.jpg
Close-up of the CPUS installed

cpus.jpg
HSFs installed.

HSF.jpg

Memory installed

memory.jpg
Post magically merged:

remote.jpg

The remote management over network interface. So I know the board is mostly functional. I've created a post on the ASRock support forum, so I'm hoping I have something to try soon.

It could be the CPU's are for single socket MB, I don't know if Intel does this with their server CPU's, but with AMD's EPYC CPU's any model number with a P after it was for single socket MB. Like 7742P is for single socket MB and 7742 is for dual socket MB. Anyone know if this is true with Intel?

Last edited:
Hm. It does sound like a CPU population issue, but there are are no differentiators between UP and DP capable cpus in the Haswell/Broadwell family.

Indeed! But for the v4 it needs the P2.10 BIOS or newer. It NATIVELY supports v3.View attachment 358158

I did see that. There may be a utility that will allow me to remotely update the BIOS if that is the issue. But I haven't dug into if I can get it to work yet. And I'd think I'd at least get an error code.

I think you should be able to do that through IPMI... or maybe I'm crazy. That or buy the cheapest CPU on their NATIVE BIOS (where it says ALL) compatibility list and update. But yeah, for those CPUs to work 100%, you need to flash to P2.10 or newer.

Well, the remote server software is supposed to allow BIOS updates, but it says the machine is offline even when the Megarac SP web interface works.

I started a thread on the ASRock support forum, and they suggested I open a trouble ticket with ASRock even though it was an Ebay purchase.

Also the BMC firmware is the latest version, which was released about the same time as the latest BIOS. So, I suspect, the BIOS may also be the latest version.

I'll report back on how it works out. Might have to get another CPU just to see if it is the board or the CPUs that are the problem. I just hate to spend even more money for something that may not work.

Have you tried using a single CPU with the on-board video?

Edit - Just looked up the e5-2650v4, and Intel ark shows 2 QPI links, 40 PCIE Gen 3 lanes, but no on-chip graphics. Thinking the Xeon models with graphics all ended with "5"

You will need to use discrete gpu. But may still be worth trying single CPU with a single discrete GPU.

Last edited:
Hayes-- the mobo has a BMC which has basic VGA capabilities, an external GPU isn't required for boot.

Torin--PM me. I can get a v3 chip to you that should let you boot enough to update the BIOS.

Well, the support team pointed out to me that there were BIOS version stickers on the board. Apparently I'm at P2.70 which should handle v4 chips just fine.

Well, I should probably move back to the proper thread for updates. Board is up and running, but it looks like I might be having some type of hardware problems. Currently I'm suspecting riser cables. But I'm going to have to play mix and match to identify where the problem is. I've got 3 cards installed, but only 2 are working. So, I'll swap the riser cable to see if that is the problem, then if not, I'll be moving the cable around in the PCI-E slots to see if any of them are dead.

According to the manual, while some are x8 electrically or change between x16 and x8 if they have to share lane, all should be functional regardless of which of them have cards plugged in.

Well, since I have several $1000+ cards I can't use right now, I went ahead and ordered another new EP2C612 WS motherboard from Newegg for $600. I should be able to just do a drop-in replacement and get it working.

I figured that would be a fair amount cheaper than trying to get the 621 version and getting new CPUs and RAM for it. It should be here in about 2 weeks.

Also, just doing the 2 cards I can on here got me back up to the #3 slot on the team daily production.

Last edited:
I'm getting a little annoyed. Ordered it on the 27th and it is still sitting at label created, awaiting pickup by carrier.

I'm getting a little annoyed. Ordered it on the 27th and it is still sitting at label created, awaiting pickup by carrier.
I looked on Newegg and it's sold and shipped by someone other than Newegg, sometimes these other stores take longer to ship than Newegg. I've had to wait a long time as well on some things I've ordered.

I finally sent a message asking if it had gotten lost since it was stuck at waiting for carrier pick up for 10 days. I got a response back right away saying there was no issues, and it just takes some time. Oh and they'll check just to be sure.

An hour later it was showing as having been picked up and starting to tranist to me.

Back