• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6 year old PSU dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djscrew

Greetings Overclockers!

It's been a while since I've posted here. I still have my nearly 7 year old rig and... all it NOT well.

I am suspicious that my Corsair HX850W is about to keel over. I wonder if anyone here can shed some light on my issues.

I've been getting steady video card driver crashes resulting in application crashes and straight blue screens. I get a video_tdr_failure. This happened with my old NVIDIA card and my new RX 470.. Also in video decoding (Netflix, etc) I've been getting some odd black and white static on the screen in addition to black flickering across the whole screeen.

Here's what I've tried to fix the issue so far:

- Reinstall Windows 10
- Replace old Nvidia card with new AMD video card
- Run Prime 95 Large FFTs along side Furmark
- Run windows based memtest overnight
- Try different cords and sockets for the power supply to the video card

So far, I'm stumped.

Reinstalling Windows and replacing the video card seemed to have no effect. Running Prime 95 and Furmark along side each other ran without issue. Memtest ran overnight with no issue.

My suspicion is that the rail driving the video card is failing. I have another power supply on order and will test it soon.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

(my specs below are a bit outdated, the overclock is dialed down a bit and I don't have a Revodrive anymore.

I know the issue persists across vendors, but, have you tried a different driver?

If you ran P95 (should run blend or small) and furmark at the same time but the problem didn't happen, it's not the PSU. You'please use WAY more power there than any other situation listed.

Does this happen at stock speeds or lowering the overclock more?

UPDATE your sig if it's not accurate. ;)

My suspicion is that the rail driving the video card is failing.
It is a single rail PSU. It wouldn't be just the vid card failing, you would be having intermittent shutdowns.

I know the issue persists across vendors, but, have you tried a different driver?
And are you completely removing old drivers with DDU before installing a different card and drivers?

The switch from AMD to NVIDIA necessitates a change of driver. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I should mention that I also see insane max voltage readings in HW monitor. It will say like 1198542.2v (took 3 secs of netflix playback to get this)
2016-12-05 (1).png

Just eliminated my overclock (should have done this before) and the problem persists.

Going to try this DDU utility, I've never heard of it before.

Last edited:
Anytime you change a GPU driver you should be running DDU.

Software is a horrible way to read voltage. It's never correct. Only way to test is with a DMM.

OP did a Reinstall Windows 10. Did you do a clean install of windows 10?

Yes, as far as I know. I reinstalled from USB and selected "nothing" for what I wanted to keep.

I know that Software is not reliable for reading voltage, but I have never seen wild inaccuracies like that.

Just reinstalled again, did DDU and installed fresh drivers after the reinstall. Still crashing in netflix :(

Overwatch, CS:GO, and Netflix, even the Radeon settings all crash my video driver but I can run Time Spy (3DMark) and Furmark at 1440 preset without issues. 3dMark is DX12 and Furmark is OPEN GL.

I just don't understand.

Last edited:
If its asking you what to keep, i bemieve that is an upgrade, not a clean install??

The fact that it's such a wild inaccuracy should tell you it isn't legit. That would smoke the processor, so clearly it isn't correct. :)

As far as the driver. Did you try an OLDER version of the NVIDIA driver is what we are getting at. Installing the same exact drivers didn't work, so try older....

Back