• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

60% hard drive boost?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it is onlyfor maxtor drives as far as I know, since maxtor is the one that developed it. it also is a trial, eventually I guess youll have to buy it. basically all it does is turn your ram into a ram disk. its like having a huge amount of cache I suppose. I havent tried it because I dont trust it yet. at least once people start using it more then maybe Ill try it

using your RAM as a ramdrive...hmm...that would make things speedy, but wouldn't be good for games at all.

Just tried it....not impressed. The prog kicks off once "system memory" is "low". (when we need it most ironically)

It does up the preformance, but it nose dives as it steals RAM bandwith

You can try, but all it does is steal RAM memory and gives it to V-mem, IMHO.

However my HDD is @ its theretical max ( no PCI lock) so it actually may help. I notice no difference though

Hmm... I have no faith in software claiming to speed up your hd,modem,internet,cat,dog,coffee machine,etc...
The problems with hd's today is the speed limitations in the mechanical parts... Faster ide-controller,more cache,etc, it all helps just a little bit. ATA133? Sure, 133 MB bandwidth, but how about real performance? I could run my maxtor disks at ata66 and still have bandwidth....

I think the reason it doesn't work well for you Sentential is because you only have 256MB of ram. I think that this software works well if you have 512 or greater, but since you only have 256 you actually are at the max of your system like you said previously. I have 1GB of ram and notice that it does improve performance quite well. But if they charge for this I will uninstall it in a heart beat.

I have 512 megs of ram and it still kicks me off when ram runs low. The program doesn't seem to give any real world performance gains. It's been installed for 24 hours, Defrag, virus scans times are still the same.

It can only transfer files at faster speeds...not make the actual drive faster... seek times etc.... its just like the 8MB cache on my drive but with this tool it creates a RAM drive(default 32MB's)...its just burst rate of information per second...

i'm sure some of you have had luck with this program, but after i installed it and rebooted, i would get a bsod after the w2k screen, and since you cant uninstall programs in safe mode, the only way to get it to boot normally is to disable all HD's that maxboost is enabled for, then just boot normally and uninstall, hope you other guys have some luck with this

That's too bad that some of you guys have had problems or not much of a boost. I've been doing a ton of reading/writing to one partition of my 160GB disk while uninstalling some older games and what not on another partition and I have seen a noticable difference compared to when I was doing it a little earlier this morning without this software installed.

Sentential said:
Good to hear. I dont think its the 256MB of RAM that is my limiting factor, but my 38mhz PCI bus:eek:

If have a 38 MHz PCI bus then you have 152 MB/S bandwidth... Which should be plenty.

Yup...sure is :D...HDD corruption is a real ***** tho. But hey...everyone wants a speed increase

They ha a meter of read/write times...mine was off da charts...ooopsie. That would explain the occosional corruption

Back