• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$600 budget for an upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sliver

What exactly would you pick? My cousin is planning an upgrade and he's asking me for advice. His current system is a P3 1GHz, 256 megs of RAM, and a Geforce MX 440. I really think he needs it. This is going to primarily be a gaming rig. He's gonna reuse some of the stuff. (HD, monitor, keyboard, maybe the mouse.) but most of it is gonna need to be replaced. CPU, Motherboard, Graphics Card, Memory, Tower, and maybe a mouse with the leftover cash. I went and picked out some parts real quick to give him an idea of what kind of system he could have, but I want to make sure he gets the best bang for the buck.

Keep in mind. he will NOT be overclocking this system so do not gear your component selection toward that kind of goal. This is going to be a generic gaming system.

Nexus Realized

Memory
Motherboard
Processor
Video Card

This should leave him with about $60 for a Case/Powersupply. He could probably get away with using a PSU that comes with a case and there are plenty of those out there for $60 and under. I figured since it was going to be primarily for gaming that he might as well spend the majority of the loot on the Vid Card. Anyways there are tons of diff combinations that could be made with $600 this was just a quick glance at NewEgg.

Edit: BTW a little more back ground on the video card. That was chosen since I believe they can be unlocked to an X850XT. That should be good enough for alot of games.

Last edited:

AZNBoiOnFIYA

wouldnt stay with an included psu. even a cheap fortron or sparkle psu is better than most of the ones included. you could go for the gt02, but you can save $50 by going with a c3d gto and flashing that (probabilities are pretty high). for cpu i would get the 146 opty. i know you said he doesnt oc, but if you know how to oc, then i suggest you do it for his system since imho an oc opty is better than an oc venice. other than that you should have more than enough left over after the build.

OP
Sliver

Sliver

It's his hardware, not mine. I'm not going to mess with it.

XZit

I hear the 3dconnect x800gtos bios people used to use to flash it to 16 pipelines has been updated or somthing like that--and now it doesn't flash?
I dunno--I went ahead and bought the sapphire x800gto2 cause I have the $$ on hand. But the 3dconnect none the less is a rather nice card for the money, even if you can't flash it anymore; you can still overclock it pretty good.

pz